1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

panny pwd6 lifespan?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bapperama, Nov 26, 2004.

1. bapperama

bapperama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On reading the product specifications of the panasonic pwd6 it says

"panasoni plasma display panels boast a long service life of approximatly 60.000 hours"

heres the link
    http://www.digital-cameras.com/shop/downloads/42PWD6BX.pdf

But i was under the impression that the d6 only has a 30.000 hour lifespan, can anyone clarify this?

Also, forgive my newbieness, but if i buy a Panasonic DMR E55 DVD recorder will i be able to plug my video/sky/playstation into this and the scart output to the panny?
    I really dont feel like spending another £100 odd for another board

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. bapperama

bapperama

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info.
    Yeah i am going to be using scart, using the free scart video board that comes with telly.
    But do you think it will be worth my while buying a composite/s-video board seperatly in order to enjoy progressive scan? Is the picture quality that much better on the PW6 using composite?
    I am a big DVD and movies fan so if its worth it then i might as well

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    lifespan on the PW6 is only a guess, they have only been in production for 18 months so how could anyone say for sure how long they will last. Estimates vary from a pessamistic 30,000 hours to an optomistic 60,000 hours. These predictions are only for the point at which the screen can show 50% of its original peak output, they are not a prediction to time of failure of the screen.
    If we take 30,000 hours as the correct prediction, using your screen for 8 hours a day (8 x 365 = 3000 hours a year) gives a 50% brightness in 10 years. You should also remember that peak luminance loss is not linear, so to reach 25% peak output would likely take twice as long, 30 years in total.

Please stop mixing up the term component and composite, composite pictures are the lowest picture quality you can get. This is the quality order of various available inputs

Highest Quality picture
    RGBHV progressive (on vga input)
    component progressive
    RGBHV interlaced, no macrovision
    RGB interlaced (scart board)
    component interlaced
    s-video
    composite
    Lowest picture quality

I have not included inputs for the digital board in this list

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    They know because it's the gas that's used in the panel that has the half-life, and gas technology is well known. After about 30,000 hours the gas emits only 50% of the UV that it emitted when the screen was made. Plasma has actually been around since 1964, but it took until 1999 for colour screens to be available in the US, and that's 5 years, not 18 months.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Hello all

According to the Panasonic literature its:

6 Series Display - 60,000 hours to half brightness
    7 Series Display - 60,000 hours to half brightness

Both have the overrider - 'when displaying standard moving images'.

Best regards

Joe

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That part of the Panasonic spec is so widely vague, you could drive a London bus through it :laugh: It's also a claim which they know is going to be very hard to disprove, since (a) you can't prove that you had "standard moving images" going in, (b) you can't prove how long the TV has been plugged in for, and (c) who's going to want to argue about a TV that's at least 5 years old, and probably going on for 10 ?

There are lots of reasons for choosing a Panasonic, I'm sure, but their longevity claim should not be one of them, because it defies the laws of physics :lesson: :laugh:

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Nick_UK

The Service Menu is very revealing - how many on/offs; how many hours accumulated, what Video levels etc

I cant say I know how they do it but the manufacturers do claim they can 'age' the phosphors etc in quicker than real time in a lab.

I think you'll find Mr Tesco (biggest single buyer of PWD6 - though AV-Sales must be close behind them :)) did take a close look at the longevity of these displays.

Best regards

Joe

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's not the phosphors that age the screen, it's the argon/neon gas mixture that becomes less efficient.

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    "it's the argon/neon gas mixture that becomes less efficient"
    I don't see how, those are inert gases sealed in glass bubbles, how can their properties possibly change. Now phospers changing, I can understand..........sorry inert gases changing their properties sounds like b@ll@cks to me.

11. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Pjclark1,

The properties of elemental gases cannot change. And as they are noble gases they will not react with anything. So the only thing that can happen to the gases is that they are physically lost due to diffusion through the glass - which cannot happen either as Argon and Xenon are quite big molecules.

IMO the lifespan must be entirely dictated by breakdown of the phosphors. Or of course electrical malfunction which is far more likely.

12. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi i was a physics major in university, and I can tell you that noble/inert gasses can change state, ie they can be excited to produce light etc, but they will not become less efficient over time, they will remain the exact same elemental atomic structure for ever, so it must be the phosphors that age.

Spook

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Hello all

I've certainly never heard any of the manufacturers mention anything about the gases fading over time - and lots about the latest range of phosphors they are using.

Colour accuracy, Brightness and Longevity of the latest Phosphors used gets a major billing at most sales launches.

Best regards

Joe