Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panny PWD6 external tuner box, is this worth having???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Chrper, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Afternoon all,

I am getting a PWD6 and have been offered the tuner box as well, just wanted to ask if this was worth having, ( I am not paying for it so money is not the issue at this time) just wanted to know if Picture Quality would be compromised compared to an internal board.

I am looking at a component board as i have JS scart to YUV for Sky and Prog scan DVD via component.
    I planned to switch them via my reciever which ( as luck would have it) has 2 Component inputs and one output!!! ( Cambridge Azur 540R).

which would be the best option??

Thanks in advance

Chris

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It compromised PQ and useability. No more PinP, it disables all other inputs when connected, nobbles various menu options, not Panasonic's finest hour.

3. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Maw

I have been told that the Scart board is one to stay away from, but what about the DVI board?? I am thinking along the HCPC route for a future project. ( when I get some time away from playing with computers as a job, long enough to build a new one for myself!!).

Thanks for the help, I thought that would be the case given no one mentions the tuner box at all from what I can see.

Cheers

Chris

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    some use the tuner panny recently dumped all their stock......

EDucated guess you have been to RS who are the only retailer with 42" Panny stock in UK IIRC they are selling none panny 3rd party tuners, Daewoo etc...STAY AWAY! they are far worse than the panny units total waste of money, and while scart is not the best its better than the tuner box, Just dont pay £130 for one £70-80 is going rate!

5. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep you guessed it, it is RS!! however its a bit of a saga so I will not bore you with the details. But suffice to say it involves a few bits that i have being returned and a few other different bits coming my way!!!!. the PWd6 being one of those bits!!

I wont however be taking delivery of a tuner box but will instead buy an internal board which is good as I dont want any more boxes to confuse the wife!!

Thanks again

Chris

6. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get the box and sell it on ebay. It's acutally worth a lot!

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    the official panny one is worth £200+ but RS dont sell the PT600 official tuner but crap VGA tuners that are useless...

8. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I got the tuner box with my pw7 , not crazy on it to be honest , although the xbox looks top notch through component cables on it I must say, Im happy enough running the dvd player through the rgb scart , but seeing the difference between xbox rgb & component has got me thinking of shifting the tuner for a component board !

The only thing I dont like about the tuner is the way it disables so many features , picture in picture and picture resizing are 2 major ones that make me hate it , I could do with resizing the pic as some games dont take up the whole screen.

9. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I might aswell add Id happily swap my tuner for a scart board & component board even at a loss ! Couldnt be arsed advertising !

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Chrper in stead of the tuner get them to throw in 2 scart boards and a component..... then can sell them or keep them

11. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    i have the mediabox with my av sales package,and i am using a thx monster component cable and the picture is excellent through my dvd player.my player is ntsc progressive only so pal component not so good.now heres the funny thing, i have a reg2 panasonic e50 recorder and i put in a pal reg2 with rgb scart and picture was great better than pal non progressive on my pioneer,as far as sky well its very good but i know i could do better all round when i get round to it.so my first impressions on my first plasma-chuffed even the wife is,who took a lot of convincing we needed a plasma.i have taken on board what horny dragon and maw and piers and everyone else that has posted on the pw7 and this helped with my decision on the panasonic many thanks. oh, if anyone knows of anyone looking to buy a toshiba 36 strata mine is in excellent condition with transferable warranty.im not sure if i can post the price here if anyone can put me right on that. :thumbsup:

12. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    ok, so I have the panny tuner and I have just ordered the component board. This combination is useless ?

13. pioneerman

pioneerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    unfortunatly yes,

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Only while the cable is plugged in to the plasma. Freedom comes when you pull it out.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    :D
    wait to long and its :thumbsdow

16. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks folks

Just back from a tiresome week, but it looks like Good Friday is the day for my 32pd5200 to go back, along with DVD and faulty MS 309 sub. To be replaced by a PWD6, CA DVD 540D and a new MS 309( without the fault).

Not the best you can get but in terms of fitting to my budget I have to say that I am cant wait for them all to arrive and getting rid of an Awful picture when watching Footy!!

It not been easy but I have to admit that once the correct buttons were pushed RS have been nothing short of fantastic. ( well thats what they are promising and I will post an update when it all arrives and works!!)

Watch this space for a further update on the great SAGA.

Have a great weekend

Chris