1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny pwd5 vs. fujitsu VCA21EH/VHA20ES plus mounts etc

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ensyed, Aug 28, 2003.

1. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the market for a 42 inch plasma and 3 TVs seem to fit my budget. I am new to the plasma market but have owned an HDTV in the US.
    1) I need help choosing between the panny and fujitsu. Also what is the difference between the 2 fujitsus?

2) Also what kind of wall mount do you recommend? I will be hanging it over the fireplace (plaster (15 millimeters and brick under the plaster) Will need to drill 50milimeters.

3) I will be using this with Sky + and a DVD player. Do I need to buy any kind of converters to connect? I have read posts about VGA to ... etc. But dont know anything about these inputs. I understand what are composite, S-video and component inputs as I used them in the US.

Thanks

Rummy

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I should think the PW5 and VHA 20 are the bargain plasmas of the moment. Isn't the VCA21 a commercial model? Not certain as Fuji have many and confusing model no's. They all have the very same glass, Fuji have a video board that works though... none of that s-video and composite problem. IMHO the fuji buzzes louder, though it's not serious. Check when you buy about the VCA, cos many commercial fujis do not accept YUV, only RGBHV from those BNC's. You could use a cable like the one in a nearby thread with the Fuji, but you might have a problem with Macrovision trying to pass the DVD signal thro' a recording device, I've never tried with Sky+. Failing that, you could try s-video for sky, your box may well have a socket, and component for a decent DVD player. S-vid often works well for sky, and if not then RGB to VGA is the usual preferred route.

In short, toss a coin between the Pnny and the VHA 20, be careful of the VCA21 till you have asked the YUV question of the dealer!

3. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I will stay away from the commercial model.
    I was also told that while the Panny does better blacks, the Fuji shows sharper images. Is that correct?

Has anyone purchased from nexnix.com

They appear to have the best prices on these TVs.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Rowlocks to the stories you've been told, it is actually the same glass, the blacks will be the same, I've never noticed any difference in sharpness, the main difference is the name on the badge and the Fuji's better video board. I believe Nexnix are reputable, I should think their panny 5 will be a euro import. If they tell you otherwise, ask to see the box. A euro screen says 'TH42PW5-EX' a uk one TH42PW5-BX They are identical, but the euro screen will not have the (useless clause) swap out warranty. A good dealer will do that for you though, ask them if they will. If you catch anyone lying about euro imports, and many try it, draw your own conclusions.

5. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As has been posted the Fuji uses the same glass as the Panny 5. However, Fujitsu have added their AVM (Advanced Video Movement) processing. Having not seen it, I dont know how it affects picture, however I have hear people state negative opinions upon it

Have a look at the extract below, from a review of a Fujitsu panel with AVM:-

Best to check Id imagine.

Tony

6. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say you need to go and look at the screen before you order. The Panny 5 is renowned for its flicker effect - havent looked at the fuji's so cant comment but if its the same glass im assuming so. Some people love it - others hate it !!

Definately look before you buy !!

RickB

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    VCA is commercial and VHA is ok HHA is Hi def panel and much better Panny PW6 is cheaper and better specced than PW5 also new PA20 has integral tuner not set the Pa20 up yet but the HHA compares verywelll to the PW5 PW6 an overall better screen almost as good as the PW4!!!

8. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    that quote was from T3 magazine....... (!!!!! )http://www.plasmacity.com/PLASMA_DISPLAYS/FUJITSU/4242.htm