1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PW7 review in HCC

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by leedebs, Mar 3, 2005.

1. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Just had a read up of the plasma test in HCC.
    Is it me or is the picture they have show the panny perched onto a Viera pedestal stand (which looks :eek: tbh) also I thought the pw7 was meant to be a very good display (i'm on the verge of buying one) yet they seem to think it's ok but not that brilliant. Now I know the reviews on all mags are subjective but most of the reviews of equipment I have read from HCC (on equipment that i have aleady) seems to be fairly accurate, is the panny not the best for the money?
    One other thing before I finally take the plunge is it worth buying an amp with audio delay for the panny? I need to get an amp & 2 Yamaha's look the biz but are these 2 any good?
    Yamaha RX-SL80 (slim digital amp) http://www.yamaha-uk.com/homecinema/receivers/rx-sl80/
    or my preferred option......
    Yamaha RX-V450 http://www.yamaha-uk.com/homecinema/receivers/rx-v450/
    Appreciate your help guys
    :rolleyes:

2. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Panasonic is simply the best, don't trust mag reviews.

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    i've got rx 450 and for the money it is a bloody good amp.....does everything i need, is excellent with my canton cd1s and the pw7 is a very good display...don't worry

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was it part of a group test, if so what did it say was better?

I haven't picked up a mag in a while, but sometimes the 'Choice' magazines are so thorough and fair, that even the best you can buy for the money doesn't get a glowing review - they dont tend to do the 5 star or 1 star approach of other mags much

and im not a Panasonic fan making excuses

anyway, its pretty much irrelevant - you shouldn't be put off by reviews and opinions, nor should you buy on just their basis. demo the Panasonic, compare to competitors, and buy what you like best. simple really. neither the Panasonic nor any other screen is the best at everything, so it really is a matter of priorities and preference.

5. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Appreciate the fact that owners are better reviewers than the mags!
    My local Panasonic shop is selling a 37" Panasonic PW7 c/w Tuner box, tuner board, scart board & a 3 year warranty for £1399..............is this a good deal? They were very helpful & seemed to know what they were talking about. The guy actually told me that the tuner box was fairly poor (said it depends on what you want from it) but as it came "free"if I didn't like it I could ebay it! Also said the scart board would suffice for intial stuff & then advised me to search the net for a cheap component board.......was this good advice?
    Is the Yammy quite in operation ,ie does it have a fan you can hear? I am totally paranoid about noise from electrical stuff.
    Also would the yammy speakers NSP-240 be ok for a starter set up?
    What I plan to do is get the above deal on the plasma then buy the yammy amp & maybe a yammy dvd player & speakers to match. The dvd player can connect to the amp via component & then connect to the tuner box...if so then I can enjoy progressive scan piccies.....am I right? ? That way I can pacify the other half & stilll have a decent start up system..wot u reckon guys? Does that sound good? :clap:

6. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Panasonic tuner sucks!

You should connect the plasma to a sat-receiver for best results.

7. BIGMAX

BIGMAX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I havn't read any bad comments on here to do with the panasonics and that should be a good barometer as the people on these forums are the best sources for info - not magazines.

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its just as risky to go on the word of forum users as it is magazine reviewers, surely.

Here are some bad comments on the Panasonic: poor brightness, dull and inaccurate colours, lack of fine detail.

Who you gonna believe? Only your own eyes is the best answer. It's not even just a matter of right or wrong: one person's dullness is another's naturalness.

By the way, here are some good comments on the Panasonic: deep blacks, good dark scene detail, rock solid handling of motion. Horses for courses?

9. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The magazines that once praised Panasonic is now bashing them, i am sure the reason is because they don't support Sky HD.

10. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone know if Panasonic are due to release high def plasmas that will support the forthcomimg Sky HD?

Dave

11. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 42PW7 review is available on-line:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=5456

The guy who wrote the review must be p.ssed of at Panasonic or s'thing. Just to give the tone of the overall review:

:laugh:
    And what about this: :confused:
    BTW what with this ridiculous association of the *Viera* pedestal stand with the PW7? We can even see the horizontal raw metal bar that's normally hidden ... Yuck!! Did they do that on purpose to prove their point of "Panny design sucks like socks"?

Something's not clicking anymore b/w HCC and Panasonic U.K.... or what?

12. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My god, i've read the HCC review now, that was a UGLY deskstand the plasma is sitting on.

13. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read their reviews on the 6 series and this makes no sense! Apart from the fact they were comparing a £1300 PW7 with a £4000 philips?

Take a look at what they rate as the strengths and weakneses of ALL units in the group test.

Highs:
    Can look great with standard-def digital TV and video
    Digital video quality, detail, Ambilight
    Picture with high quality sources, design, features, HDMI input
    Pics with HD/progressive sources; design, connectivity
    Good brightness and contrast levels

Lows:
    Bland looks, monitor design will not appeal to all, no digital connectivity
    No component video input, no individual source memories
    Little short of contrast, no PC input
    Limited contrast, doesn't like poor quality TV sources
    Native resolution limited, noise at times, no digital inputs

It looks like the style and the ability to take HD/Digital picture sources that won't be common in the uk for another four years were regarded as the important aspects. Two of the units were criticised for lack of contrast and one for not liking poor signals. Seeing as these are inherent plasma weaknesses I don't think you'd want to buy a plasma that suffered in these departments, yet they rate tham higher than the panasonic? Also the only panel to score worse than the PW7 was the Toshiba, of which the Highs were "Good brightness and contrast levels"?

I think the reviewer is a propeller head, intent on having all the latest gadgets and more interested in style than substance. They probably think picture quality isn't really important, as long as they can watch Emmerdale in f###ing High Def in 2008!

14. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D :rotfl:

god i love my 'crap' telly!!

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    do they mention the price it was reviewd at? £2.5k i would guess perhaps more... and do they say how it was connected?

16. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    have to agree, quite awful , seems like they have left the casing underneath as well. :eek:

17. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Haven't got sky in the room the plasma is going :thumbsdow

18. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    £2k approx, don't mention how it was connected.........good points

19. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Are Yammy amps quiet in operation?
    Do u use component through it?

20. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    yes the yammy is very quiet...i do run component through it from the e55.....but to be honest it doesnt add anything over going direct to the screen.....i just can't be bothered to change the cabling yet again

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And of course they are wrong about the digital input. As for soft picture, reckon they connected composite via scart!

22. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look, the overall tone of the article is surprisingly negative, not to mention outright ironical in a couple places, from the first sentence on: about the Panny performance, its design, its lack of digital inputs (entirely wrong), and what not.

I would take this review with a couple tons of salt. Not sure their readers will though... :rolleyes:

23. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Thanks for that, will probably try to get a demo of the yammy if I can before purchase but trouble is where & connected to the yammy speakers?? Has anyone tried the component from the media box? Is that better than the scart through it :lease: ?

24. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello all

leedebs - the HCC Review is pants. Do a quick search back to when it was first released and it was taken apart line by line in an earlier Thread.

Audio Delay is a very worthwhile feature to include in your 'must have' check list when choosing an AV Receiver.

If you want to enjoy the best image you can achieve on a Panasonic Display avoid the 'Optional' Tuner box - it messes up the images you switch though it big time.

Better to put more money into a better AV Receiver with decent Video switching - and for simplicity you should look for an AV Receiver with Video conversion.

Your 'Secondary' sources that output Composite and S-Video ca connect to this type of AV Receiver and be Output on its YUV Component Output. (Yamaha RX-V550 offers S-Video to YUV Conversion).

Aim for your 'Primary' sources, DVD and Digibox, to Output YUV or RGB (if its RGB you can use a JS Technology converter to convert RGB to YUV) and these can simply be Switched via the YUV Inputs on the AV Receiver.

With everything 'plumbed' and signal matched via the AV Receiver you then only require a single YUV Board in the Display and control and switch everything in the AV Receiver.

Yamaha Loudspeakers can be hit and miss - they have produced some classics over the Years (NS10000, NS1000 and NS10) but a lot of the entry level stuff is not great.

Best regards

Joe

25. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Thanks for that,
    As the tuner comes "free" with the plasma I will probably try it first anyway.
    I would be interested to know what the component connection looks like with the tuner box anyway.
    The deal I have seen has a 37" pw7 with both a scart board AND the tuner + 3 year warranty for £1399, to me this is the ideal option. Also the warranty gives me a bit of peice of mind. :cool:
    I guess this way at a later date I can get a component board, take out the tuner board & use the component & scart?
    the Yammy amp rx-v450 is within my budget but does this allow the upconversion?
    At the moment there are only 2 things I need to be able to do, although sky may be an option at a later date.
    1) play dvd's via component or RGB
    2) feed an rf signal to the plasma (I know, I know :rolleyes: )
    Am I right in saying that the component feed does NOT provide auto ratio switching?

26. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    the yammy 450 does switching but not upconversion...it has 2 component in and also has a couple of composite ins...i got mine more for audio and it does include the delay feature..i keep mine on -60ms

27. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    leedebs, have you considered the Philips 37PF9946 or even the 42PF9946 TV?

dont automatically think youre getting a better picture going the Panasonic panel route until you've seen them both...

analogue TV looks pristine on the Philips.

28. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    leedebs

I've yet to see a Free meal ticket that's truly Free!!!

If you look at the banner adds at the top of this page I'm sure you'll find someone that can come up with a 'deal' that actually meets your requirements - inc an extended warranty.

The RX-V450 doesn't have the Video conversion feature - though I've seen a lot of talk of end of line Yamaha's with this feature at reduced prices; have a look in the AV Receiver Forum.

RF into any large screen wont look good - cant you use a Freeview box; you can get a NetGem iPLay or similar for around 50.00 GBP.

YUV Component has no Auto Aspect Ratio switching - you can add a box to give you this facility but it adds another 100.00+ to your budget.

Best regards

Joe

PS Ensure you read the small print in any extended warranty.

29. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  30. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Have seen both in action.........
    Sorry do not agree about analogue tv on the Phillips, a friend has the 37PF9946 & tbh it nearly put me off getting a plasma, maybe he had something wrong with it but even the dvd picture looked poor, I checked out his cabling etc & we did improve the pciture slightly by upgrading the scart lead but even so the picture isn't anything to write home about, as I say maybe it was just his one.
    I don't expect a picture that size to be brilliant on analogue tbh, but would on dvd........