1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PW7 import or not????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Andy Christou, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Andy Christou

Andy Christou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys
    Made the right move and got a PW7 instead of LG, Hitachi, Samsung

Got it from 123electricals.
    wondering if it is an import or not

Box: First major language English, Made in Japan, nothing weird there

Manuals and Guarantee: All UK addressed etc, However it has a PanEuropean Cover waranaty

Plasma: silver Sticker at the back (bottom left) saying "Panasonic Espana SA"
    addressed to Barcelona , Spain.

Has anybody else noticed this?
    any difference if an import or not?

Thanks

Andy

2. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm...Wonder if everyone else who'd purchased from 123 Electricals has questioned the source??

If its an imported / european model, then the warranty is completely different, as it'll be a RTB rather than onsite...

A major issue i'd have thought...

3. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just spoke/emailed Jerry at 123, and got a wonderfully fast response
    regards the warranties...

All our Panasonic products are direct from Panasonic UK and carry an on site
    Guarantee with Panasonic UK unlike 'Grey' Imports which do not. If you do
    take the panel to europe then it does carry a Pan European Gaurantee but Im
    nt sure how you would get it repaired abroad.In the UK most Authorised
    Dealers like ourselves,while we have the capabilities to repair non UK
    models are extremely reluctant to do so as they are not always made to UK
    Specs. Hope this helps if not feel free to email or ring on 08702432512
    Jerry

Top bloke! Only took 5 mins reply...nice!

Hope that answers my own question!

4. Andy Christou

Andy Christou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :)

Top gizzer, thanks for that

still wondering whats with the spanish sticker at the back though

Thanks

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If it has a little booklet that says 'pan european' it's 99% sure to be a grey import. The spanish bit is a telling point too. The letters on the box are the clincher. It should read TH42PW7B, and any other letters, it might have a 's' as well. If it reads TH42PW7EX, the E is euro origin, x is no bundled cards. My UK stock has no little grey booklets, euro stock I have dealt with in the past, working for a cetain dealer in Hampstead, all had them, which we brought in from a German distributor.

BTW try asking Alastair who must be one of the biggest panasonic plasma dealers if he repairs them :rotfl: Not an insult to AV sales, not at all. Panasonic plasmas are not serviced or repaired by dealers, but by Barron McCann or Panasonic UK

6. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +535
    I didnt have that sticker on the back of my PW7.

Just a warning page in Yellow.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    on the side of the box it will have TH-42PW7 (printed on) then BX/EX etc stamped on the box if is anything other than B it is euro grey import.........and i have never seen a Pukka Panasonic Consumer UK sourced box with any other regions labels on it (Same distributor as the spanish 6 series from 12moths ago.....???)

See this for what your box should look like http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141537

8. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not wanting to sound sarcastic here, but why not simply just ask the dealer, by picking up the phone......Your answer is no more than a minute away...

To be fair, the reply I had from 123 did comprehensively sound good to me, they said it was a UK sourced product from Panny UK, onsite warranty, so that itself rules out European sourced stock..

Youre welcome to my full email cc'd to you if you need it in writing as proof

9. gstadt

gstadt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I thought al the PW's (mine's a PW6) were assembled in Spain - mines got the Spainish sticker and I got mine form AV-sales?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well some cynical people might say that us retailers are given to lying about such things if it were to be to advantage.

You are right, just being assembled in spain is only part of the picture, the last lot I had were assembled in China, that doesn't make them Asian grey imports. Look for the letters on the box, that will tell you once and for all, though no idea how they would get the euro warranty booklets if they are UK, the UK warranty comes in a paper A4 booklet IIRC.

11. Andy Christou

Andy Christou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right just got off the phone to 123Electricals

Confirming what Stevie said above

the PW7 that they sell is UK spec from Panasonic UK
    The guy just opened a Panny telephone, DVD player, and other products and they all carry the PanEuropean Cover

Also, Panasonic UK has set up a Digital Repairs centre which 123Electricals is part of that, and they are an approved dealership for repairs on Pannys
    Thats if they got wrong

Got worried for a while there, that i just bought a dodgy Euro model from god knows where

12. Supersonic72

Supersonic72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont panic mate...good checking there team!

My underpants are made in China too, does that make them grey imports too?

...Mind you, after watching the footy last night, they were nearly brown imports!

13. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, apart from a return to base warranty, are there any other dangers from buying an import?

Regarding the warranty, I know that there are lots of places that sell warranty extensions. I wonder if it would be possible to buy a warranty replacement, i.e. go to one of these companies and instead of buying a 2 year warranty extension, just buy a 3 year on site warranty and ignore the manufacturer's 1 year return-to-base completely (obviously you would need to be getting a pretty decent saving on the screen for this to make sense).

- Julian

14. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me with my questions? It's not just idle chatter, I do need help here. I have a genuine opportunity to buy a new PWD7 at a few hundred quid below the going rate (which brings it within my budget) but it is an import. I'm trying to understand the implications of this, beyond the difference in guarantee, and to explore if it is likely that I could do anything to "solve" the guarantee problem (as all explained in my original post quoted above). Any comments really would be welcome.

- Julian

15. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    why don't you just phone av-sales who sell the TADL warranties and ask them what the possibilities are?.....if you're saving money on the screen it gives you a bit of room to manoeuvre

16. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. That is definitely one of the 2 calls I plan to make, the other being to Panasonic to 100% check that a Euro warranty will be honoured and to check what paperwork I need to get from the vendor to demonstrate that it is a bonna fide purchase in case I need to invoke the Panny guarantee.

The other item I am really wanting to check though is that there are so many posts in this forum warning people to check that they're not buying an import that I certainly sense a general sentiment here of "UK model good, Euro import bad". With this in mind, I'm very anxious to make sure that the only reason for the warnings about import models is this guarantee issue and that there aren't other reasons to avoid them, e.g. because of specification differences or anything else that I'd never even considered.

Even at a discount I'm still looking at parting with over £1,000 so I don't want to take risks.

- Julian

17. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    oh i'm pretty sure its only the return to base thing that's an issue...our continental cousins gets the same quality screens we do :)

18. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Mep. I guess I just need to roll my sleeves up and make those calls to Panny and AV-Sales to see what sort of cover I can get as far as warrantly goes. I'm away for a long weekend so it'll be next week before I make these calls but I'll post my findings once I have some.

- Julian

19. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    you know it makes sense ;-)...have a good w/e...anywhere exciting?

20. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! As for "anywhere exciting", that depends on your point of view. Raleigh in North Carolina. I have two of my closests friends moved out there so it's always fun although there aren't really many world famous tourists sights to see there! Still, a good opportunity to take advantage of the exchange rate and pick up a few cheap jeans, t-shirts, etc. ... oh, and 29 degrees C will be nice for a few days (I do like the heat, roll on the British summer).

- Julian

21. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    doh!..wish i hadn't asked now!....seriously though....sounds great...my step sister lives in Boston but is about to move to Sth Carolina

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You could ring the warranty folks direct, TADL they are called, just up the road from mep and me IIRC. It is definitely the only difference with import screens, I have sold loads whilst working for a certain hampstead shop. One or 2 went wrong, and were fixed by panasonic UK, sometimes on site, though usually they ask for any screen to be RTB'd. This loan screen and 'at home' warranty is a bit of a joke, the dealer usually has to do that bit, I keep a loan screen to stick on folks walls when something goes wrong.

23. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you MAW. Guess I'd better call TADL, although....

Regarding rtb, I see from the Panasonic UK web site that they are based in Bracknell. Is that just the sales and admin operations or is that where they ask for a rtb unit to be returned to? I only live 25 miles from Bracknell so even an rtb guarantee might not be too catastrophic for me and I have some helpful neighbours who I'm sure would help me carry the thing to and from the car if it happened. I have a policy of always keeping the original packaging for anything over £50 as well.

- Julian

24. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello all

Andy Christou - I don't think you ever answered the question re the labelling on your box. What suffix letters are 'stencilled' on the side of the box? As Horny and Maw said the TH-42PW7 bit will be printed in Black and then you'll have two letters stencilled in a less dark black.

JulianL - in general the UK (B Suffix) /Euro (E Suffix) kit will be the same; though there have been a few minor differences at times.

You need to find out where the screen your looking at originates - I've even seen a few Asian (A Suffix) units arriving into the UK and these are not the same as the UK/Euro models; Panasonic produce about seven variations on the basic model line up.

The first year of your Euro warranty will be RTB (assuming you get a 'Euro' model) via Panasonic UK and you can purchase a third party extended warranty with onsite cover for years two and onwards.

If you have a Euro model and have a fault don't expect anything to happen very quickly when it comes to getting it sorted!

Best regards

Joe

25. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the really helpful replies. Regarding warranty, I have one additional very personal consideration that just came into play that might positively influence my thinking. I went to the Panny UK web site and I see that their location is Bracknell. Is this where the repair facility is, i.e. where they ask an rtb repair to be sent? I ask because I live about 25 miles away and worked in Bracknell once so I have spent 3 years of my life driving there 5 days a week in rush hour. With this in mind then, if Bracknell is the rtb location, I'm becoming less and less concerned about the year 1 rtb issue because it really won't be that big a deal to load it into the car with the help of a neighbour and drive it out to them and collect it later in the hopefully unlikely event of a problem. I was more worried about having to pay big courier costs to return it (which raises another question come to think of it, more now out of idle curiosity... on a rtb warranty then who is responsible for courier fees? Does the owner pay to return it to Panny and Panny pay to deliver it back to the owner or does someone (Panny or the owner) pick up the shipping charges both ways?).

Joe's comment of "If you have a Euro model and have a fault don't expect anything to happen very quickly when it comes to getting it sorted!" is more worrying, but I do have a spare 14" TV in case of emergency (sad that I consider loss of TV as an emergency!).

Joe (or anyone else), I realise this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but can you give any sense of what sort of delay might be encountered with a fault on a Euro model vs a UK model? I wonder if my delivering it personally would make me more than just a number and maybe help get it looked at a bit more quickly.

By the way, I'm told the unit is an E suffix.

- Julian