(Panny PW7) Done research for 2 weeks. Now I need some answers.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by c.hilding, Jan 4, 2005.

1. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check my second post for the questions. This first post is only in regards to the screen burn "issue". Look down there: :thumbsdow

I started out knowing nothing about plasmas. My 28" Grundig CRT TV died and I found an advert for 30% off on a Samsung PS42D4 (42") Plasma. This got me interested.

However, being the careful type who does complete research before spending any money, I read up on Plasmas. What I found was not pretty. Screen burn, screen burn and SCREEN BURN seemed to be the topic everywhere, with serious burn possibly occuring in as little as 10 minutes of showing a static image. It was sickening. Aswell as other "issues" like half-life being reached in just a few years.

Well, as I found out on my second day of research (when I found these boards), these issues are exaggerated bull****. Actual screen burn only happens if you drive the panel too hard, such as 100% contrast with a bright, static picture, which makes the phosphor go so hot that it's etched to the screen, leaving a permanent discoloring in the shape of the affected area, such as a channel logo.

Like that's ever going to happen? But just to be safe, I did research on what panel is the most resistant to burn-in. Everything seems to point to Panasonic and their PW-series. People are playing games on them for hours at a time (one guy mentioned 8 hours straight gaming on a PW6, EVERY FRIDAY).

I'm going to play games for 10-20 hours a week, probably 4-5 hours at a time. And I'll hook up my HTPC to play DVDs and watch regular TV through its advanced scaler and deinterlacer (DScaler :lesson: ). So there will be plenty of static stuff (life bars, channel logos, htpc interface) on the screen.

Seemingly, the PW7 won't have any problems with this. Claiming burn-in resistancy in class with CRT TVs. I've also heard that you hardly see any ghosting at all. Ghosting, being an uneven depletion of gas, meaning that some parts of the screen have more gas left, and hence shine brighter. Such as watching 4:3 content with black bars at the sides and then switching over to 16:9 content, where the sides will then appear brighter.

So, keeping contrast at max 50%, and brightness reasonable, wouldn't that completely prevent real burn-in where the glass is burnt?

Have I understood everything so far? Additions/changes to what I have written would be appreciated, I really want to understand the nature of the beast, so to speak.

Best Regards,
    Christopher H.

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Christopher,

I bought a Panasonic PW4D about 4 years ago, having done the research, top quality panel and still one of the best SD panels made. I was paranoid about screen burn for the first few months, fearing that my unbelievably expensive toy was about to be destroyed by 5 minutes of a static image. It turned out to be nonsense, as you have now discovered - good panels don't suffer from screenburn unless you really abuse them.

Get them properly calibrated (had to say that, didn't I : )), don't leave a static image on-screen for 12 hours plus, and even if the worst comes to the worse, with a good panel play moving images and the "screen burn" will probably disappear - though nothing will cure one case that I heard of, where a certain retailer used a number of panels to display their logo for 3 weeks - they were write offs!

Piers

www.homecinemaengineering.com

3. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty much set on the 42" Panasonic PW7 (or PW6). But what I don't get is why there are 5 models of the PW7. What the :censored: is the difference?

"PW7"
    Panasonic TH-42PW7B
    Panasonic TH-42PW7EX + Stand

"PWD7"
    Panasonic TH-42PWD7EKJ

These searches turned up 5 models. I removed the two 37" models, but that still leaves 3 models of the PW7. And there could be more that I've missed.

So what's the difference?! *CONFUSED* :rolleyes:

Best Regards,
    Christopher H.

PS. Here are the PW6-based models.

"PW6"
    Panasonic TH-42PW6EX + Stand
    Panasonic TH-42PW6 Silver

"PWD6"
    Panasonic TH-42PWD6EXS Black + Stand

PPS. And here is what looks like a HD model.

"PHD"
    Panasonic TH-42PHD6
    Panasonic TH-50PHD6

Why so many versions of the same model? Is it to confuse us as customers?! :lease:

4. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    c.

The PW7B (or PW7BX) is the UK model
    The PW7E (or PW7EX) is the European model I believe
    The PWD7 is the business version, which some would say is slightly different (numerous posts surrounding extra PIP options), others would say it's exactly the same other than the black option and the higher price tag.

I think the same can be said for the PW6 - if there's an "E" after it, it's European, a "B" = British, and PWD6 is the business model. Might be worth giving AV Sales a call to ask them their opinion on the differences, although what they told me does differ from some posts on this forum.

Good luck...

Hope that helps...

5. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, that helped. But I can't call AVSales, I'm in Sweden. And even if I did call them, I wouldn't be able to speak, I just had throat surgery. ;-)

So, can anyone else confirm what was said by blackmanalishi?

Best Regards,
    Christopher H.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    he is correct there are far more model numbers floating around the UK than around Europe if you order from a UK dealer not sure what happens Euro stock in UK gets RTB warranty not On site...... but choice is PWD (commercial panel black or silver) PW..B/E (consumer normally silver only) PHD..B/E (HD screen 1024x768 black only that i know of)

7. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

So the PHWs and PHDs are High Definition models with loads of pixels and twice the price. Screw those. That's only a 15% gain in picture detail but a 100% increase in price. ;-)

I've narrowed down my selection to the PW7s, simply because they are more future-proof than the PW6-series.

So I'm getting closer. Here is the list of 42" PW7s that I know of:

• Panasonic TH-42PW7B This isn't on the swedish Panasonic site, confirming that the "B" stands for Britain.
    • Panasonic TH-42PW7EXJ But this one is, so it must be the swedish version of the above. It has the same specifications but is called PW7E, with "E" for Europe instead of Britain.
    • Panasonic TH-42PW7EX + Stand
    • Panasonic TH-42PWD7EKJ
    Now I have to figure out what the difference is between these... Seems to me like the different endings "X", "K", "J" etc are different accessory configurations. Such as X meaning "Wall mount included" for instance.

For better overview, these are the ones I can buy here in sweden: PWD7 and PW7 models.

I don't know which one to choose, since I don't know the difference. :lease:

Best Regards,
    Christopher H.

8. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    double post...

9. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to purchase the TV tomorrow. Does anyone know the answer to the above? :rolleyes: I don't know the difference between these various DW7s and really can't find any info on it...

Best Regards,
    Christopher H.

10. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I live in Sweden as well, the new 7-series aren't more futureproof than the 6-series, they are the same league.

The DVI and HDMI cards doesn't support the required 50Hz signals.

I would choose the Pioneers if i were you, they ARE futureproof.

You can get it for £2700 now if you buy from a U.K retailer and import it to Sweden.

I wouldn't recommend AV-Sales in this case as they want between £400-600 +VAT to ship it, horrible prices when the Germans for an example or even some U.K dealers charge around £150 with UPS Standard.

Keep looking, i bet there are a few U.K dealers that have "normal" freight prices like Germany.

11. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:offtopic:

I didn't ask for Plasma advice, I asked about the difference between the various PW7s. Besides, it is future proof, they are working on a revised 50hz HDMI board for the PW7.

So please, back to topic. Can anyone answer what the difference is between the above four PW7s?

Best Regards,
    Christopher H. :smashin:

12. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

:suicide:

13. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

So the PHWs and PHDs are High Definition models with loads of pixels and twice the price. Screw those. That's only a 15% gain in picture detail but a 100% increase in price. ;-)

I've narrowed down my selection to the PW7s, simply because they are more future-proof than the PW6-series.

So I'm getting closer. Here is the list of 42" PW7s that I know of:

• Panasonic TH-42PW7B This isn't on the swedish Panasonic site, confirming that the "B" stands for Britain.
    • Panasonic TH-42PW7EXJ But this one is, so it must be the swedish version of the above. It has the same specifications but is called PW7E, with "E" for Europe instead of Britain.
    • Panasonic TH-42PW7EX + Stand
    • Panasonic TH-42PWD7EKJ
    Now I have to figure out what the difference is between these... Seems to me like the different endings "X", "K", "J" etc are different accessory configurations. Such as X meaning "Wall mount included" for instance.

For better overview, these are the ones I can buy here in sweden: PWD7 and PW7 models.

I'd like to purchase the TV tomorrow. Does anyone know the answer to the above?
    I really can't find any info on the difference between these various DW7s... :lease:

Best Regards,
    Christopher H.

14. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello Likvid and c.hilding

Since you are Swedish.

A colleague of the company I work for emailed all employees with a picture of a boy from the disaster. To me he looks Sweedish, blond hair etc. They do not know where his parents are.

Could you email me at [email protected] and I will forward on this email.

There is just the chance you will agree and thus maybe pass it on.

Thank you

Andy.

15. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    c.hilding

the accessories all have there own references (from PW7 manual)

Pedestal TY-ST42PA20
    Wall Stand TY-ST42PW1 etc.

think when i was buying somebody told be the B in TH-42PW7BX meant the plasma includes a terminal board.............could be the same for your refs.

hope this helps

Tam

16. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I'm talking about. Yours is called "TH-42PW7BX", BX is not on my list. However EXJ, B, and EX are. I think the trailing B's and X's and whatnot mean some kind of accessories. B could very well mean terminal board. X mean stand, perhaps? I've seen this kind of accessory naming before on other products.

Edit: I noticed that this post made it to page 2. Check my last post on page 1 for the list of PW7s in my area. I'm trying to find out the difference between them. They are all 42" PW7s but have different trailing letters and different price tags, except for the PWD7, which I was told is a business model.

Could someone please contact a dealer in the UK to find out? I would very much appreciate it since I'm about to order it tomorrow and these swedish dealers didn't know the difference. Maybe the guy from AV Sales who uses to answer posts here could help?

Here's to hoping. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Christopher H.

PS. andyuk99, while I feel sorry for the boy, I don't know him, I'm sure of that.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    X means no terminal board the other letters mean different boards/speakers/stands included

18. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! Just as I suspected about the accessories then. And the B and E stands for Britain and Europe respectively. It's all coming together now. ;-)

The "K" is for charcoal (dark casing), I figured that one out. The others I have no idea.

So, Panasonic TH-42PWD7EKJ is
    TH=?
    42=42 inch
    P=Plasma
    W=Widescreen
    D=Business Model
    7=Series 7
    E=European Version
    K=Charcoal Casing
    J=?

Anyone know what the J means?

Oh, and guess which one I'm going for? :p

Best Regards,
    Christopher H.

19. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Learn to use the search function instead of asking the same question over and over again.....

This has been brought up before what all codes in the model number and what it stands for.

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    j is stand or speakers.........

21. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. c.hilding

c.hilding

Products Owned: