1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PW7 auto widescreen sensing

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Nick_T, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Nick_T

Nick_T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking at getting the Panasonic TH-42PW7B with the component video board rather than SCART and converting the SKY+ signal through a new Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD Recorder.

I have been told that without the SCART terminal board I will loose the Plasma's auto widescreen sensing to automatically detect the aspect ratio.

Question is, will this matter? Surely not if the SKY+ and E55 boxes are both set to 16:9 and the plasma is set to 16:9 there will be no need for auto switching?

Just wanted to make sure what this meant! Cheers :thumbsup:

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Hi

You will need to toggle every time the broadcaster switches between 16:9 and 4:3 otherwise you will end up with a stretched picture.

Sky doesn't permanently output a 16:9 image - it only does so if that particular broadcast is being transmitted in anamorphic 16:9.

There is a gadget available which connects to the serial port of your Plasma and performs the switching. I think it's about £90

It's on sale here in either the powerbuy forum or the special offers forum - I can't remember which.

Steve

3. Nick_T

Nick_T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that. I currently have a failry new widescreen Panasonic CRT TV, I'm sure when Sky displays in 4:3 it just stretches the picture anyway (I have the TV set to 16:9, but even in the Panasonic auto setting it does the same, just stretches the edges more than the middle)!? So what would the plasma display if the Sky+ was plugged in to the SCART Terminal board? Would it become 4:3 and display balck likes at the left and right?

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Hi

It's your TV doing the stretching - not the sky box. The sky box always outputs either 4:3 full frame or 16:9 anamorphic. It doesn't do any manipulation to the image.

(The exception to this is if you have letterbox mode enabled - the box squashes the anamorphic 16:9 stuff and sticks black bars on the top and bottom)

You can configure how the panel treats an autoswitched 4:3 image - either 4:3 (with black bars) or Just mode (which just stretches the edges).

Regards,

Steve