1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PW7 and xbox?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Matt05, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Matt05

Matt05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have a Panny PW7, Sky+, Denon 500 and an xbox.
    I'm connecting the Xbox to the VCR scart on Sky+ via the advanced scart lead.
    Sky+ goes to Panny via S video lead.
    Trouble is, if i turn off Sky+ i hear the sound from xbox but get no picture.
    Any advice as to why this is as i'm tearing my hair out?

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Your scart on the sky+ box will pass thru the xbox to the second scart, it will not transcode the RGB from the xbox to S-Video as well.

3. Matt05

Matt05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, so would would the best options for me be? Plugging xbox into the denon also produces no picture?

4. oneline

oneline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not use a scart switch,I have a manual one and can switch between sky+ and x box.Get one with a switchable input as the x box does not work with auto switching.

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Assuming you have just the one scart on your plasma, then the scart switch is the best option for your confirguration. It is possible to obtain output cables for Xbox that converts it to either component or s-video, but why bother? If you do have a spare component input on your plasma, then using the component Xbox cable may produce a better picture than RGB scart, but not going to be vast. Also the scart switch would allow you input Sky in RGB quality - likely to be better than s-video.

6. Matt05

Matt05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres no scart socket/video-in vga connector on the plasma as i'm using the TY-42TM6Y terminal board.
    I've tried plugging the component lead from the advanced scart lead (thru the yellow/white/red sockets) straight in to the component-in sockets on plasma. I get a picture now but its green with no other colour.

Also plugged yellow vga cable from advanced scart lead into denon video input which goes back to plasma via component - no picture. :lease: help

7. Budge

Budge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That yellow ,red, white lead sounds like composite video, not component..

AFAIK Component will only work on NTSC xboxes.
    If it's chipped, get hold of the video switching software, and change your box to NTSC.

8. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Matt,

Just to clear up the confusion about your XBOX cables. The red/white/yellow cable is not component. It is simply right audio/left audio/composite video signal. The yellow composite video cable is the lowest quality of video you can use, but it does give you a watchable picture of sorts.

The component cable is the red/green/blue one, with the official M$ one here.

Also, not having it myself, but I think you will find the Sky+ box will not convert the RGB from your XBOX to S-Video out from the Sky+ box, hence no picture.

Your only choice maybe to use the composite input/output's on the Denon and plug these into the composite input on the plasma.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Andy

Andy

9. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Just to clear this up, the component cables will work on a normal UK Pal XBOX, but it only passes through a composite signal. The get the best out of it, as Budge says, some sort of modding, either chipped or soft modded, will enable you to output a component signal from the XBOX.

Cheers

Andy

10. Matt05

Matt05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the box on the Xbox scart is composite - sorry for the confusion.
    I do have component leads/connections from the output of my Denon 500 to the plasma screen.
    I removed the component leads (red/green/blue) from the denon and plugged those into the composite box on the Xbox scart to see what would happen and got pic but green screen :)

As the Denon feeds the plasma via component, is this why i'm getting no pic from the Xbox when plugging the Xbox into the denon via composite? (Denon then outputs to plasma via component)

Again, there is no standard composite input on the plasma - only BNC connections i believe?? Would a composite lead with a BNC connection on one end do the job (xbox to plasma bypassing denon 500) as the denon is set to output component only?

Thanks for all your help.

11. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    LFCRules,

You're wrong about the Xbox component lead only passing composite through,I've got a modded xbox and a PAL Xbox and use component on both on my PV500. whilst the PAL output can't reach the heights of 480p on a modded xbox the PQ is on a par with the advanced scart kit and no way as bad as the truly awful PQ of composite.

Matt, running an xbox through a plasma using composite should be outlawed !
    Do your xbox a favour and buy a VGA-Scart adaptor and buy the advanced scart kit for a lovely RGB feed.

12. Matt05

Matt05
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Korum
    I already have the advanced scart cable (with optical lead), is this what you mean by "advanced scart kit"?

Do you have links for the correct VGA-Scart adaptor?

Cheers.

13. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    There are a couple of good ones:

http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=33&osCsid=bd192e293669e581878a3de8a0c10feb

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?SGB12

Most people rate the JS highly but my mate has the Syncblaster running on his PW4 and it produces superb results and it's around half the price of the JS.He uses the Syncblater with a scart switcher box so his Sky/Games consoles can all be connected to the VGA Input on his Plasma, there seems to be no loss in PQ through the switcher box and it's only a cheapish one he got from Argos.Hope this helps.

Yeah, I called it an advanced Kit but it's called the Advanced cable, It's just they call them 'Kits' in the states where I get all my Xbox stuff from.

14. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Doh! Korum, you are right, it will send through more than just composite. Apologies for the confusion.

Cheers

Andy

15. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    So, has Matt got everything clear now?

Let's re-cap: Denon to plasma using component cable (red, green blue, NOT yellow, red and white). To get the Xbox into the plasma he needs to convert the RGBs from the scart into a format that the plasma will accept. As said above, if the VGA port is not being used, then a scart to VGA converter is a nice option, and if a scart switch is added in before the converter it allow several scart sources to be connected together.

Finally, get that composite idea idea out your head, Matt mate! Those nasty Y,R & W cables are for connecting VCRs only (if you must!). They have no business being used to connect quality gear to a large screen like a plasma. :lesson: