1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by richjthorpe, Oct 22, 2004.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can anyone clear up a couple of things for me, I've read reviews that the PW6 doesn't allow for progressive scan, is this just because when it was tested it didn't have the component board fitted ?

Also they said that the PW6 wouldn't be able to view HDTV whereas people on here have said it can.

What's the story ?

Richie.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It is HD compatible, it will display almost any video resolution thrown at it, and it's prog scan comatible out of the box via the VGA port, DVI card or any component card.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So why are are the reviews saying that the resolution (852x680) aren't high enough for HD ? Is there an upscaling process needed ? I thought you needed 1000x1000 or something for HD.

Not questioning your knowledge, just getting my head around it. :)

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's 852x480 in fact and every display in existence scales some video signals, they don't adjust their native resolution! Sharp do a 1920x1080 LCD for a fantastic price, and samsung do a 1280x720 LCD, but it's only 22" These are native to 1 HD resolution and scale any others. Other than that, they all scale, or crop in the case of Sony/hitachi with all signals. The SD panels have to do more downscaling than others, but they do look particularly fine with 720p. Having fantastically high resolution does not automatically mean a great picture, there is so much more to it than that. The elecronics/mathematics of classy scaling is hideously complicated, and a lifetime's work to some very smart people, I am content to leave it to them, and judge on results.

5. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    +1 Well said, MAW.

Wonder if there shouldn't be a sticky to answer these questions we see coming up every 4-5 topics or so, and clear up all the misinformation there is out there (and that's a LOT of misinformation and plain lies...). Or maybe there's something already?

Actually, a sticky about the ALiS technology and plasma screens would be handy too, methinks... :lesson: :devil:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    true but then what would i do all day???? There is a search function you know pwerhaps it should be made more obvious......

7. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh:

I'm thinking of a sticky which would summarize what ALiS is, how it works, the Pro's and Con's, which plasma's use an ALiS glass, the issue with resolutions and driving it from a PC for example. Mostly facts, plus a few opinions to boot. :D

Using the Search function is a totally different beast, coz' yeah you do find those posts that talk about ALiS and <maybe> nothing else, but that's still several thousand posts to go thru... :rotfl:

But you're right, when would you get busy - and MAW angry - if it weren't for beautiful ALiS? :laugh:

8. El_MUERkO

El_MUERkO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    What issues?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    :devil: :devil: You can't drive an ALIS panel at native, maybe cos it has a kind of 'virtual' native res. They do work OK at 1024x768, but it's not native, irritatingly not perfect. I hate that, so near and yet so far and all that.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    cant the £2k Lumagen scaler drive them at 1024x1024 Alis?????? hell of a lot of money to spend on what is supposed to be a Cheap plasma..........

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, it gives an 'out of range' message

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    interesting......... can you drive it 1024x512? as that is reallly the native res equivalent of the screens...........

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's not offered on an HD, and it doesn't work with powerstrip either. Try to understand how much I hate talking about this. To me this is a problem, my company mission statement bangs on about maximum picture and sound for the money. Screens like this do not figure in my price list for this and other well publicised reasons, but folks just love to make me bang on about it. I have nothing personally against Hitachi, and most definitely not with anyone who chooses to buy one, but they will insist on asking questions like these, then not like the answers. The screen is not total pants, it just won't do what I want, so I won't sell them. As it happens, Hitachi couldn't give a fig for the smaller independent dealers, nor their customers. So that's it, they do not figure in my price list.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i have had very good results on Fujitsu ALIS panels... HHA 30 and BOSE lifestyle 35 are a great way to spend £8k!!!!!!!
    Only hitachis i ever sold very as commercial displays where cheap and big were the main criteria for which they are fine........