1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PW6 vs LG RZ-42PX for £2k

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Radiohead, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Both of these panels are available for around the same money, but are they of the same quality.

I read masses of good stuff about the PW6 here, and some about the LG - I just want to make sure that the PW6 is the best currently available for under £2k before I hit the credit card some more.

My other kit is a Denon DVD-2900 player and Yamaha RX-V1400 amp (with B&W speakers), with Sky+ as my off-air source. I currently have a Sony KV32FQ70 as a display.

I'm planning on the PW6 with a BNC board and JS-Tech box - with Sky going to the J-Tech and converting from RGB to component and then to the amp, and the DVD going to the amp via component directly, with the amp then feeding these to the screen via one component connection. Would connecting via VGA be a better solution?

Does this seem to make sense - AV Sales have been very helpful so far, but I'm just being ultra-cautious.

2. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    regarding the LG. I have just bought an LG rz42PX11 and am in the process of sending it back due to poor quality pictures. Go with the other one

3. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    useful to know - ta

4. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an LG PX11 and i report no problems with picture quality, in fact its awsome and i would say its better than any screen i've seen!

You can get this screen for £1500! :thumbsup:

Googlybear i would check your sources!

You would probably get the same or worse results with anpother panel.

PQ depnds on your source, because Low Def equals poor PQ on a High Def screen, hence the need for converters or conversion!

Cheers! :smashin:

5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Firstly, I would agree with neonmod - the picture on my LG is very good to excellent, depending on the source.

Secondly, the LG and the PW6 are *not* about the same money. Even with the cheapest prices quoted at the moment, you are likely to be paying at least 1750 for the PW6, whereas you can get the LG for less than 1500. That's not to say you should choose one or rule out the other, just be aware that there is a reasonable difference in the prices when you evaluate them. This is especially true if you start adding convertors, and the like as you have indicated.

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    That's a fair point Graham - the PW6 would cost me £1930 or so, so it's almost £500 more than the LG can be had for.

Decisions, decisions.

7. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    how may people on av forums are 100% happy with there lg/dawoo/techwood/tiny.etc(apart from graham and a few others if they are happy the good luck 2 them)

answer not many(those that havnt been returned)

how many people are happy with there pioneer/panasonic/hitachi

a lot

in the grand scale of thing when u are spending 1600 pounds another 400hundred is worth waithing for(ebay always an idea kidneys fetching good price at mo)or finding as hopufuly the tv will last for a long time

as i said before the majority of this site can not be wrong as for people trying to recomend pannys so they sell more load of rubbish sets are just damn fine

whatever next specsavers doing a deal with lg/dawoo/techwood/tiny.etc for a contact lens that makes these sets look ok
    :laugh:

go for something that has proven its self its worth the wait

kinda like panda cola tastes the same as coke a cola

8. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi,

I have to totally disagree as far as the LG is concerned,

Just take a look at the LG thread, it has had more veiws and posts than any other.

Before i had the LG, i got a panny which lasted 3months, then blew! Rubbish!

I think i can remember when i was looking at plasmas, he first showed me the LG then we walked over to the Pannies and he turned the lights off, ( these screens look better at night he said) :laugh:

Regards!

9. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No-one is debating that the Panasonic is a good 'safe' choice. But to talk about numbers of people isn't entirely fair:

1) The PWD6 has been on the market for over a year, the (latest) LG for a couple of months.

2) A very large number of people on this forum have PWD6s because of this forum.

They are both good sets, it's a bit pointless asking a Panasonic dominated forum if the Panny is the best screen - the answer is going to be fairly obvious, regardless of whether it is right or wrong.

10. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    panasonic dominated forum by peoples own choices no arm twisting or anything like that

no loosers no winners just a matter of diff opinions each to there own i agree
    horses for cause and all that

whatever makes us happy in life

:hiya:

11. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would go for a panasonic,ive seen quite a few plasmas and eventually went for the viera .Not just because of this forum ,my brother also has a panny
    Im not gonna rubbish the LG ,but i wouldnt have one ,mainly because my thomson which was poor had lg parts inside.I payed £2500 for the thomson and regretted it everyday for a year untill i got my money back.
    This year i payed £2500 for the viera whith stand and free dvd recorder,and 5 year warranty.
    Best choice i ever made.Im very fussy with my screen as i spend a lot of time watching it.Just like my other hobby. My Cars,only buying german.

12. hailesy

hailesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hrmmmm, thats very odd as my Panny PWD6 looks great even in Cinema mode in the Daylight.... odd that.

Mark

13. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all
    I did indeed check my sources by linking my pc to the DVI input on the panel. This did resolve the solarisation issue. The main grief i have is that should you need to connect via DVI if the panel reports to be a TV? and that if you try and watch TV via a normal aerial it is also solarised. The screen itself through the DVI connection was nothing more than good though as the DVD i played on it was too dark. PC games on it look marvellous though!!!!

14. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    well, my choice was between the two screens- then i saw the hitachi pd4200 at richer sounds for 2 grand, the pictures are definately better than the lg-in fact on par with the panny- but you get all the inputs, speakers,tuner etc.
    the warranty is not bad either 10% of plasma cost (200 quid).
    ave a look, im well pleased with mine!

15. neonmod

neonmod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Pannies are OK if they last (mine didn't)!

I was just joking with rooney as he was being a bit unfair.

The best bet would be to go any look at the screens in action at a retailer and decide yourself.

Everyone has their own tastes!

Cheers!

16. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Had a look at the LG this evening and looked great with DVD (interlaced Bose player via component) but not that great with RGB from Sky+ (albeit a very long cable run). There was a fair amount of on-screen pixellation and blocking apparent.

Thoughts from LG owners?

17. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    IMHO, you don't need to go to those lengths, but different experiences, etc.

That sounds very odd - my experience of DVI (using a Denon 2910) is that it is 'scorchingly' bright. Did you use the DVI cable supplied with the panel? What about the settings on your PC / DVD software? Maybe you did actually have a faulty panel?

18. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That sounds like you are describing typical MPEG artefacts, which clearly are going to be apparent when you use a low bitrate source!

You should check it out on other screens - on the basis of what you are describing, these problems should be visible on other screens as well.

19. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I'm not convinced that the shop were that clued up as I was pointing out that it was unlikely that AV4 was an RGB source - they switched it to AV1 and the picture did sharpen up. That said, the Panny Viera they had next to it didn't look much better.

I notice less of these symptoms on my current Sony KV32FQ70 CRT, but is what I was seeing par for the course for a 42" display (by which I mean the additional 10" of screen showing up source weaknesses).