1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PW6 & PS2

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GreenBhoy, Jul 28, 2004.

1. GreenBhoy

GreenBhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Dear All,

I have had my Panny PW6 for almost a year now, but being a farly late developer I have just bought a PS2 (with a gold RGB scart lead). I have also recently added Sky+.....

Observation:
    PS2 looks the nuts when plugged into a STD 21" Sony CRT, but looks totally pants when plugged into the 2nd Scart on the Sky+ which is connected to my plasma.

Problem:
    Why is my PS2 plasma picture so bad? :confused: It looks as if I am not getting RGB - composite only possibly? Can I tell if I am getting RGB on the Panny?

Thoughts:
    I have a scart board & component board in my Panny.
    Can I improve the PS2 scart picture just by cabling/tweaks?
    Do I need to upgrade to a component lead for the PS2? My Amp can component switch 2 devices (which leaves me stuffed for JS RGB to Component converter in future - DVD is pogressive/Component already).

Any thoughts/observations are truly welcome.....

Regards Greenbhoy

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PS2 component lead much better!
    JS RGB> VGA for future gizmos, can use Sky+ on S-video (i tend to) cheaper and easier and leaves AV 1 free for DVD-R unit or as you have scart board use that.

3. GreenBhoy

GreenBhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    HornyDragon - Thanks for the reply
    S-vid - how does that get into my plasma for Sky+? Will I need to buy a new board or simply get an S-vid - scart type thingy?

Also my amp does s-vid switching too - any mileage in doing the whole lot via S-vid?

Regards GreenBhoy

4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have my xbox connected to my pw6 via the second scart on the sky+ and the picture is superb! However my sky+ is connected to the VGA input which probably helps a fair bit!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think it can be done via scart or the Video board, S-video and Composite, I would keep DVD to component but S-video for Sky+, PS2 and other, DC etc would be fine IMPO

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    My PS2 picture is superb into S-Video on my PWD6. Component connection is supposed to be even better.

7. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I got my PW6 last week and tried the PS2, pretty pants I thought.

So I went out and got a Component PS2 cable (I paid £6 for a Logic3 jobby, or you could pay £30 for an IXOS if you have money to burn!) The picture is stunning! I can whole heartedly recommend you upgrade your cable! I have just diverted my DVD via my Amp as it can take 2 component inputs. First game I tried was Soul Calibur 2 and that has the extra graphics boost of being able to choose Progressive instead of PAL50. Who needs to go to an arcade to play big screen games! I must admit I did get a bit of a novelty kick out of playing games on a 42" plasma, bit of a taste of the pop star lifestyle I thought lol!

With regard to your current cabling setup I'm no expert on Sky+ but it's highly possible it doesn't have RGB passthru for the second scart. An easy way to check is to plug the PS2 straight into the Panny and see if the picture improves to an acceptable level, if so you might want to get an RGB Scart switcher instead of a component lead?

PS if you go down the component route remember to change your output setting in the system menu from RGB to YPbPr!

8. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The second scart on the Sky+ is composite only and is only really meant for VCR's. If you look in the back of the Sky+ operating manual it tells you what scart socket accpets and outputs what type of signal.

It looks as if you will have to find another way of getting the RGB signal into the plasma.

9. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well in that case if you don't want to go the component route get an RGB Scart switcher. Though I can only vouch for the quality of component as that is what I'm using.

I actually almost said in my reply that is was probably composite as it's meant for VCR's but then I thought since Sky+ is supposed to be the replacement to VCR's I thought that might be a silly suggestion! lol

10. GreenBhoy

GreenBhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the replies guys - it pretty much confirms my thoughts about composite from the Sky+ box....

I tried plugging the ps2 scart straight into my panny, the picture was improved, but no way was it stunning - still lagging behind the RGB picture I get on my crt....

So I will get a component lead and switch that through my amp so see if I can improve it further.....

Once again, thanks for all the replies. :thumbsup:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You won't regret it. The RGB kit for a PS2 is pants with a plasma, I've had to connect several that way, none have been impressive.
    BTW Quinney, the 2nd scart on a sky or sky+ box OUTPUTS caomposite only, but is able to 'pass through' RGB, that is not principally where the problem lies, though any additional connection is going to degrade a signal slightly.