1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PW6 Problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by boardwalk, Jun 7, 2004.

1. boardwalk

boardwalk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arghh Help.

Suddenly yesterday after my new panny which I've had for 5 weeks had been on for a few hours the screen suddenly started to distort and display red and blue horizontal lines (see attached pic hopefully) which I though was just some distortion from a possible loose cable. After checking my connections the problem was still there so I turned everything off and back on and the problem went away for about 30 mins and then started again.

Today I turned it on again and after about 3 hours it started happening again. I've checked all my connections and even disconnected everything except my NTL Pace box which is connected via Scart at the moment but it's still doing it. So I tried just with the DVD connected via scart and it was still happening.

If i turn it all off for a while the problem goes away but then starts up again after the screens been back on for a while.

Has anybody experienced a similar problem, just trying to get ideas on the possible problem before I phone NexNix in the morning.

Thanks

Dave.

Attached Files:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually.... I got a very similar thing to this yesterday, picture started breaking up then sparklies then it became as you describe.... i just assumed it was something gone dicky in my chain so turned all off, reset and bob remained my uncle. With some 2 or 3 hours further watching, the problem did not resurface. I will tell you if it does, I assumed it was an innocent lock up of some of my software.

Ad

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    It was very hot yesterday.!?

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    actually I was wondering more about solar flares or something similar

ad

5. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Sounds like a gas leak to me... ;)

6. TH-42PW6B

TH-42PW6B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am experiencing exactly the same problem and have done so for a number of months. The problem comes and goes intermittently and is temporarily resolved by turning the screen off for a couple of minutes. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

7. technovorgin

technovorgin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    call panasonic and get them mended under warranty

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's always worth trying a power down and re-seating the video board(s). Can work wonders, before going through the panasonic warranty trauma.

9. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry to hi-jack this thread boardwalk, but I was just wondering how you found the picture quality of NTL through the Scart connection? I assume you're using RGB Scart and got your NTL box set to RGB? Is the picture bad and soft as it has been suggested to me? Are you considering getting a JS convertor to improve your picture quality?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's not 'bad' on scart, just not as crisp as with a js converter. RGB scart looks fine to many people, you have to remember many here are a bit er... retentive about their picture, and why not if you have the money and the inclination. It doesn't mean we all have to be like that, but it's good to know there are things you can do if you are not happy with your scart. It's a useful board to have installed anyway, as it takes any scart and gets a picture up there, good for setup menus etc.

11. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That what I was thinking! I have a composite>scart converter so at the very least I will need it for my Receivers setup menu, and also things like Digital Cameras and Camcorders etc that use composite. Not to mention my VCR. Plus it gives me something else to aim for if I am not happy with picture from the NTL box, although I would think a softer picture is more cinematic! It could make an ideal Christmas present! lol

Anyway I'll let this thread get back on topic! lol :hiya:

12. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't know if this helps but I had a fault that caused arcing in the power supply on my av amp. This produced exactly the symptoms you describe - red and blue bands across the screen - when connected to my screen.

13. TH-42PW6B

TH-42PW6B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard

How did you fix the problem you describe??

Thanks

14. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My av-amp was returned to Arcam for repair. The crackling sound it was making has disappeared and there has been no re-occurrence of the interference on the screen since.

I was able to pin the problem down to the amp by disconnecting everything and reconnecting one component at a time.

15. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing with my AV amp was a red herring. Everything was okay for a while, until the weather got hot again in August, and the interference returned. During the hot weather the screen was only usable for 20-30 mins.

I've just got round to talking to Panasonic about this. They tell me that the problem is characteristic of the panel overheating! This is consistent with the problem only occuring when the room is very warm.

Are others still having problems, or has the interference now apparently disappeared, as it has in my case?

Thanks

16. boardwalk

boardwalk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard,

sorry I should check back here a bit more often and update peeps on this situation.

I noticed the pattern was : hot day = screen buggered......

I ended up testing this theory and put a large desk fan next to the screen and as soon as the dots started to appear I switched the fan on full power. After about 30-60 seonds bingo no more dots....so from then on I just ran with the fan while the weather was hot.

Guess this is not ideal and prehaps panasonic should investigate the issue and offer some better advice as I am planning on moving my screen to above my fireplace when I move into my new place. But if heat is going to be a problem then this could need a re-think. I can't say as I've noticed many postings regarding heat problems and this symptom so wonder if there is anyone out there who has had these symptoms over the hot period also and would like to comment.

Cheers.

Dave.

17. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave

Out of interest, what input cards do you have installed, and do you notice the problem on all of them (assuming you have more than one).

I have a Scart and a component board in my panel, but only have problems with the Scart input. I can switch to the component board and not see a problem even though the picture through the Scart input is going crazy.

Also, how do you currently have the screen mounted. Panasonic were concerned that there wasn't enough air flow around my wall mounted screen. I argued that everyone using a wall mount should therefore be suffering the same problem, which they are not it seems.

I am in discussion with Panasonic's warranty agent to discuss how to deal with this. I'm hoping a replacement Scart board will solve the problem. I'll also try MAW's suggestion of re-seating the board, once I can enlist some help to de-mount the screen!

You might also be interested to know that I've also managed to create the ambient temperature of those summer days by running a fan heater in the living room with the central heating on, allowing me to reproduce the fault at will. Very useful for a warranty claim.

18. boardwalk

boardwalk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

currently I only have a scart board attached as have not yet got around to upgrading all my other equipment so had no need for other boards just yet.

I also have mine mounted on a wall at the moment so as you say would expect more people to be experiencing the same problem.

I will give the re-seating idea a go when I get time, but would be interested to hear if you manage to solve your problem with a replacement scart board. If so I will get straight on to Panasonic and get mine replaced also.

cheers,

Dave.

19. tills

tills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem a year ago, it went back to panasonic who returned
    it fault free, they said it needed a new transitor part.....cost 69p, i have
    no problems since. I decided to deliver and collect the plasma myself in woking.

20. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tills

Thanks for your input.

Do you know if the fault was in the panel itself or in one of the input cards?

As you see above, I suspect my SCART card is at fault and I'm trying to avoid transporting my panel unnecessarily.

Many thanks