1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PW6 - Picture in DVI input worst than in component ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jrosado, Nov 28, 2004.

1. jrosado

jrosado
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi:

Me and some friend done some test's using a denon DVD-2910 player and my panny PW6. After only being able to make the denon display picture in the DVI input, if the singal was NTSC, the results were quite a suprise.

- The picture using component input was great :thumbsup:

However, the picture using the DVI was terrible, very bad with alot of dithering. it was like the denon was unable to display more than 256 colors, to give you an idea. Instead of smoth transitions to all the color pallete, you got areas of ligh blue, blue and dark blue, for example!

is this normal? Anyone got any reason for this? Could it be the DVI cable?

Regards,

J. Rosado

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's not the cable, errors caused by the cable look like little sparkles in the picture usually. The DVI picture is quite harsh on my PHD7, I prefer the analogue. But I don't get anything like you are describing, it does sound like something the denon is not sending, especially as the DVI input is capable of more colours than analogue, theoretically. Very odd in fact, but that's the way digital video is, it's still very chancy, hit or miss. There are no absolute guarantees that any particular combination will work. I've just marked that one in my little book as below average.

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, there is the option of a 'normal' or 'enhanced' black level - the 'enhanced' option giving better dynamic range.

Unless you only intend watching R1 DVDs though, outputting NTSC from the Denon is not a good option - it's poor for PAL discs.

Thankfully, the DVD-2910 works *beautifully* outputting PAL via DVI to the LG 42PX11 ;-)