Panny PW5 & PW6

Neil69

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what improvments the PW6 has over the PW5? I read that the contrast ratio is 4000:1 on the new model.
Ta, Neil.
:hiya: :hiya: :hiya:

Hi Neil,

The 6 series can handle over 1 billion colours (30 bit colour, I believe), and are reported as not buzzing as loud as the 5 series. The flicker has also been reduced and they now have 3 card slots and a better selection of (quite expensive) cards including DVI-HDCP. Check out AV Sales or The Media Factory for more info. Hope this helps.

Steve

Hello Neil

As Dutch has pointed out the are a fair few differences between the PWD5 and the PWD6.

The underlying Plasma technology is the same but the video processing engine and a few of the physical changes make for real world improvements.

PSU noise - so far all of the PWD6 units I've set up have made little or no discernable noise on high brightness images.

Darker front filter - cuts down on glare and combined with the improved Real Black Drive video circuitry makes for an improved contrast ratio in dark and brightly lit rooms.

In terms of video processing the PWD6 doesn't suffer from the PAL flicker problems many (though not all) viewers detect on the PWD5.

For those with non progressive PAL video sources the PWD6 now handles PAL and NTSC film motion detection as opposed to NTSC only on the PWD5.

In terms of tricks and frills the PWD6 now has picture in picture modes (PC+Video).

The new range of input cards is more 'video' friendly - with RGB SCART and DVI for Video options.

If you have an AV amp with YUV video switching and can convert any RGB signals to YUV you dont even require an input card on the PWD6 as the VGA input can be set to accept YUV video.

So all in all a better display I'd say.

Best regards

Joe

Can a 42" w4 panny plasma accept a DVI board for the digital video connection.
Andy

andynumpty

The Terminal Board your after is the TY-42TM4DB - its going to cost you around £340.00.

Please keep in mind that this board has far less attraction to someone wanting to input Digital RGB Video signals than the board now available for the 6 Series display (the boards are NOT interchangeable).

The 4 Series DVI Board is really only designed for PC resolutions - though one of them happens to be 640x480 so you can input NTSC video but not PAL video.

Best regards

Joe

Thanks for your reply Joe, so are you saying that the new 6 series DVI boards will take NTSC & PAL & are set up to take a digital video feed from the new DVD players that will output from the DVI connection.
Thanks.

andynumpty

Correct - and the PWD6 boards are also HDCP compliant; though as pointed out in a previous thread there is a 'Plug & Pray' firmware issue with some PC resolutions at present; this is being worked on by Panasonic in Japan.

Best regards

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom