Panny PW5 & Pioneer 868- Digital Video?

gmt steve

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether or not I could get the DVI board for a Panny PW5 and use it with the HDMI output on a Pioneer 868?
I don't know if the PW5 DVI board is HDCP compliant, nor whether it would work for PAL and NTSC.
I know there is a problem with Panny DVI and iScan Ultra when passing PAL, but I think that is the Ultra's fault due to it's non-standard PAL DVI output.
Anyone?

Steve,

Hi - hope you are well :)

Does anyone know whether or not I could get the DVI board for a Panny PW5 and use it with the HDMI output on a Pioneer 868?

I think the DVI board is the same for the 4 and 5 series - part number TY-42TM4DB (http://www.av4business.co.uk/panasonic/pdf/2002EU PDP SYSTEM.pdf). IIRC they cost about £150-£200 from the US.

I am pretty sure you would be able to use this input with a DVI=>HDMI cable from the 868 from a connectivity point of view.

I don't know if the PW5 DVI board is HDCP compliant, nor whether it would work for PAL and NTSC.

Pretty sure the TM4D isn't HDCP compliant as this was only added on the TM6Y (6 series DVI). The card only supports 60Hz (NTSC) so PAL is a no go :( unless you get a scaler which can ouput 50Hz as 60Hz (like the HD???)

know there is a problem with Panny DVI and iScan Ultra when passing PAL, but I think that is the Ultra's fault due to it's non-standard PAL DVI output.

Yeah this is a bug in the Ultra as it outputs PAL as 572 and not 576 over the DVI port. This is fixed on the iScan HD.

At the end of the day Steve I think that a good component or VGA link is very near to DVI, especially as there are quite a few issues with DVI on the Panny (and when combined with the Ultra). I am toying with having a look at the DVI input on my PWD6 with the iScan HD to see how much difference there really is...I am reasonably confident however, that my VGA connection from the HD into the TM6Y (BNC component board) will be pretty close to what you could get with DVI. As you know, digital doesn't always mean better ;)

The following thread might help:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115280&highlight=panasonic+dvi

:confused:
I don't understand Jason, are you saying that I should save my money and stick with what I've got?
Have you had some sort of psychotic episode? Or eaten too many easter eggs:zonked:

I think he means to say it wouldnt work with the pioneer on the basis of non HDCP compliance on the panny when the pioneer is.

ad

It was sort of a private joke buns, you see Jason keeps trying to get me to upgrade stuff so that I end up in trouble with the wife. It's something of a suprise that he's advocating sticking with what I've got.

lol sorry! I'll shut up now! :D

ad

Originally posted by gmt steve
It was sort of a private joke buns, you see Jason keeps trying to get me to upgrade stuff so that I end up in trouble with the wife. It's something of a suprise that he's advocating sticking with what I've got.

Thought you would be surprised ;) - Just telling it how it is...

Just because you dont plan to use DVI doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade to the HD :devil: :D

...or upgrade to a PWD6 either :D

JJ

Originally posted by Jasonjo
Thought you would be surprised ;) - Just telling it how it is...

Just because you dont plan to use DVI doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade to the HD :devil: :D

...or upgrade to a PWD6 either :D

JJ

Christ! You'll be suggesting I get a boob job next.:D
And the answer is NO :eek:

Go on!!!!!

breasts.gif

:D

:eek:

:censored:

:offtopic:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom