1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny pw5 37" resolution query

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mr.D, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Hello plasma people,

I'm about to aquire a panasonic 37PW5 in my cinema room so the kids don't have to worry about switching on the projector to watch kiddie stuff when I'm not there.

Ideally i want to drive this thing with my HTPC which currently feeds a panny ae100 856x480 at 60Hz via powerstrip.

Question: what will happen if I feed the plasma the same resolution as my projector (856x480 at 60Hz). Will it completely choke? Will it downscale ever so slightly by 4 pixels ?

I will be upgrading my projector for a higher res model fairly shortly anyway so I will likely have to introduce some resolution switching capability into the HTPC in the near future.

Hoo hoo! what'll it doo?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Fascinating question! well done, the answer, probably it will try and downscale. It might, if you are lucky, just junk the extra pixels as there are so few, that would be a result! Nice little plasma though, hope it works out.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    It works.

856x480 at 60Hz is fine : so a tthe moment I can switch between my projector and plasma willy nilly.

Lose 2 pixels either side on the plasma so its definitely mapping 1:1 as backed up by the Mark Rehjon pattern I'm using .

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nice one, good to know.