1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PV500B vs PE50 - £500 difference!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bkny, Jun 6, 2005.

1. bkny

bkny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its been great reading all the comments and pictures about the PV500 (thanks everyone), and I was all for getting a PV500, mainly because I am not too bothered about amazing sound and the speakers on PV500 are pretty good by all accounts (and for ps3 hidef). But then on a whim just checked the price for the PE50 and the prices for the wall mount option on totaldigital.biz are:

PV500B - £1,949
    PE50B - £1,549

Thats a difference of 500 quid, for which you can get a lot of stuff, be it speakers, really good dvd player or whatever takes your fancy.

I still need to see the PV500 in the flesh (went to Tottenham Crt Road on Sat, but no one had it on display), but I am finding it hard to convince myself it is worth the extra £500 ... or that i can spend the £500 saving on improving other components.

What are the reasons people chose the PV500 over the PE50? I guess its the "Hi-def" ready tag. Although how hidef the tv has been extensively debated in other threads.

2. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree with you on that. I've seen the PV500 and PQ is superb, but design-wise a bit of a disappointment (it's BIG). Seeing the prices of the PA50, it may be a nice 'interim' solution until something better comes along (with even lower prices). I don't have a HDMI DVD player and I am not planning on buying one, so component is good enough. HDTV is no issue in my country (I don't think it will be available this century, the way things are going...). Only thing missing is a PC input.

3. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Went through all of this !!!! All I can say is I viewed these 2 screens side by side several times. The PV is really worth the extra cash !!! See my threads etc. The picture quality is fantastic. After all the main reason for buying a big screen is PQ, dont get the low res - version. Over 4-5 years spread that £500, and your only paying £1.70p a week to have a Hi-Def screen.
    IMHO its well worth the money.

4. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know it is down to personal taste but the 50, especially with a stand looks a lot nicer as a piece of furniture than the 500 which is big and clunky.

Picture quality wise, remember that there is no HD material to play on these sets at the mo. Only excuse for high def is gaming with a PC now or console in December.

I was dissapointed with freeview on the 500 but again this is down to personal taste. Current SD DVD's look identical on the two sets when I have viewed using component feeds from same box.

Are you someone who regrets it if they buy the 'better deal' at the time and then wants the better spec later? Good luck with the choice.

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    its time to ask yourself wether you want a better picture (which is surely the whole point) or wether you want a nice piece of decor to match your interior and secondly watch stuff on.obviously it would be nice to have both but if it comes down to itsurely the picture is the main use of the TV not the design?

6. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Im in the a similar dilema at the moment. With no Hi-def at the moment i'm consdiering buying a cheaper non-hidef plasma now, and then getting a hi-def plasma in a year/year and a half time. I would prob end up spending the same amount of money -0but have two plasmas!

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    When I viewed them side by side, Freeview on the PE50 looked better than on the PV500.

The only thing I don't like about the PE50 range is they have used a cheaper based plastic for the enclosure rather than the acrylic resin used on the PE30 and PV500 range.

Cosmetics aside the PE50 is a very capable screen and I reckon will outsell the PV500 for price alone. £500 can buy you a lot of gear.

8. BANGELO

BANGELO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:) I have seen the pv500 and was all set to buy but then I noticed that the pa50 sitting next to it had a much sharper picture ! the smart salesman then tells me that yes the 50 is on average better unless you have an hd source .
    There is a technical reason for this , (somthing to do with parts of the signal has to be duplicated to fill up the extra pixels) - sorry i cant give it correctly perhaps some one out there can do this for us - anyway I have purchased A 42pa50 @ £1428.00
    from www.soundandvisiononline.com - Bangelo. :thumbsup:

9. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Compare the two with a 720P scaled DVD picture and the difference will be very sigificant.

Also, just feed the PV500 with some HD and you´ll be sold... period.

If you don´t have to money to buy the PV500 or don´t care about HD, then go for the P50.

Otherwise by all means get the PV500, HD is coming.

10. ErikX

ErikX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What DVD players can outout 720p?

11. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ASK Electronics had one on display last Thursday.

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Which DVD player was that and what DVD were you watching ? The PE is pretty good with HD material as well although not true HD res, but then again nor is the PV500.

If you're going to be watching a lot of Freeview the SD screen might be a better option and with the better contrast.

13. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    But the pv500 is near as damm it, just fed it a pchd 720p and it it looks fantastic, you just cant compare.

If people want the low res fine thats a choice, but the PV500 is a better all round screen for sure.

14. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Panasonic wouldn't make the 2 screens if it was that clear cut in that case ?

When I demo'd these at the Diga and Viera Panasonic presentation, all the panny staff were under no illusion that the PE50 is the sure fire hit. The PV500 will do the job for the enthusiasts.

In the main 720P players are upscaling source DVD material anyway, so there is quite a way to go before it all becomes mainstream, a long way. Not everyone is hooked up to or want to be to Sky. The SD screen does have the better contrast and if you are using as a main telly it will give you better results with Freeview and standard SD fare.

Obviously an enthusiast may opt for the HiRes and hook up a HTPC to it or something though I'm not sure you can categorically it is the better all round screen for everyone that's all.

15. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    still can't believe why people even salesmen think a VGA panel only able to display 480 lines should be better than a display capable of 720 lines from a 576 line video source!? :confused:.. hello!... the VGA looses almost 100 lines of resolution, yet the XVGA panel uses all of them, they are admitedly re-sampled (interpolated) over 720 lines, but this won't make the picture softer unless very poor scaling is used, and i can honestly say the pv500 does this very well..its amazing.. period... the more i watch the pv500 the more i love it, and would never go back to my 28inch sony crt :hiya:

16. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    now im just plain confused :confused: HORNY DRAGON where art thou :D

17. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I dont want to get into a war of words, but I viewed these 2 screens side by side for several hours for a couple of days.

I couldnt decide between the 2 screens and I have posted for advice previously if the extra money was worth it.

Reasons for Buying the PV500

It has a better resoloution than the PE50 and even my wife could tell the PV500 looked better.
    I viewed the screens on Freeview, Digital Sat 1020i HD feed, Dvd, the PV500 looked better. IMHO

I watched Gladiator and the Blue planet to compare detail. I could see more detail in the PV500 and Im not talking jaggy pixels here.

The colour was deeper and richer some how on the PV500, I know they both need calibration, just how the screens looked to my eyes.

The PV500 has some future with HD tv, I know the the PE50 can descale 720i pictures and will display some versions of HD at low res. just as a PC monitor will display 640 X 480 that most people used 6-7 years ago, now people even think 1024 X 768 is low res. I know which one I would rather look at.

For the sake of £400 I went for the telly I liked, no one else matters.

I have to watch it, just me.

If someone likes the PE50 fine, let them get one, Im not saying its a bad screen at all, infact it gives a better picture than some other brands I viewed with higher res.

I just prefer the PV500 and I can only tell others my findings and what I think. Hell I never even owned a Plasma before, so wanted to purchase a good screen that will last, that I have options with.

Im happy :thumbsup: :cool:

So what ever anyone buys enjoy it for what it is and if your happy then good, problems start when your not happy with what you have purchased.

18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    As long as you're happy and it seems that you are, after all why shouldn't you be :thumbsup:

Lots will still go for the PE50 that's all. It is by no means a bad screen simply because the PV500 has a Higher Res. Lots of things including contrast go into making a good picture and the SD is better in that dept.

The argument of downscaling and upscaling has been done to death on these forums the pro's and cons etc etc etc.....

19. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I ventured into the Aberdeen shop@panasonic today and saw the 2 side by side. A very helpful and clued up salesman showed me analogue, freeview, DVD [component] and some Jap Hi Def stuff from an import box of some sort.

For me I preferred the pic on the PE50 [until he showed me HiDef]. But my viewing at home is 75% freeview / 25% DVD. I don't have Sky and I dont download HiDef clips
    from the 'net. I want a screen that looks best on my equipment.

I also prefer the look of the PE50, as I am looking to wall-mount. It seems that the 500 has been designed to be sold with the matching cabinet. Why have a plasma and then clutter up your floor with a cabinet???-put it on the wall and hide all your gear round the corner.

Anyway the price was £1995 with the free DVD RAM recorder and 5 YEAR AT HOME WARRANTY. Wall mount was £99. If I declined the DVD recorder, I would get a £150 reduction on the telly.

I almost went for this deal, but am not totally convinced that I want a telly with tuner and speaker. The PWD7 from AV Sales is still mighty tempting you see....

20. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon 1910/2910 series can output 720P as well as 1080i. It looks amazing...

21. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,180
    Mt whole reason for getting a flat screen was exactly that - whack it on the wall & create more space in my living room. A few months back I was convinced I'd buy a 37" LCD because of the weight & size of the overall machine - however, the PQ of SKY really disappoints me (I mostly watch sport). So I made the decision to to go with plasma & have waited a few month sfor this new PV500. I now have a massive dilema as this thing is just too bulky for wall mounting & I agree - it's designed to sit on top of that horrible cabinet.

How can I find a cosmetically pleasing HD ready plasma, with built in speakers (not massive ones on the side like Sony) that's suitable for wall mounting?? Not bothered about freeview cos I have SKY & also not bothered if the tuner box is separate.

22. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aren't Pioneer supposed to be launching a new range soon?

I find the PV500 nice looking except for the curve bump at the bottom back.
    Cut a piece of cardboard out last night to see roughly how big the 42" would be and it's big!

23. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,180
    That bump at the bottom is awful. They say 14cm depth - i'm sure that's the thinner part above. If you put a wall mount on it you're looking at something sticking out about 25-30cm!

Pioneers always seem to be expensive & never have attractive built in speakers. If the Sharp 37GD1E was a plasma & a grand cheaper I'd be in heaven. Am now completely lost as to what to buy & have a feeling the new bunch of LCDs coming out in the summer will be just as bad PQ. I need a plasma quickly & the Panasonic was going to be my choice..

24. smultron

smultron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, it's 13,8cm at the bottom.

No, it's 14,5 cm, look here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217311

25. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,180
    Fantastic, thanks (great pictures)...

26. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    £1.949 minus £1.549 = £400.00 not £500.00. There, i've just found you another hundred quid matey. :smashin:

27. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    It sticks out 14cm

28. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Now £1989 from totalbiz, you just lost £40

Easy come, easy go

I rang totalbiz up at 5pm, they said they were getting one in, anyway he wasn't helpful at all and relly annoyed me so I have ordered elsewhere, very bad service.

29. bkny

bkny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great!!! Thanks for that, I am a bit embarrassed by that demonstration poor maths ... (I did maths at uni aswell, obviously a coplete waste of time!)

I think I might also take a look at a PD7200 now, as at least you can get a price match at John Lewis at Richer Sounds for a reasonable price (£2k) and get the 5yr warranty and JL service. Man I am so flakey ...

30. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm looking at the 37" versions and the price difference is now €1200/£800! I can get a 37PA50 for less than £1200, including stand, delivery and 2yrs warranty. That makes the PA50 a very attractive package.