1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny pv500b and HTPC Via dvi~hdmi

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stuartam_81, Jun 19, 2005.

1. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help, i have just finally ripped the tv off the wall and plugged in the dvi to hdmi cable.

but i am having loads of problems setting it up correctly, the screen is connected to my HTPC ( ATI 9550 graphics card ) and if i set the resolution to 1024 x 768 it displays nothing and crash's the computer ( only just started crashing the computer, but always displayed nothing )

what is the best resolution & refresh rate to use and how can i get it to use them
    has anyone created a monitor driver for the panny 500b?? are there any HTPC ATI drivers with all the correct resolutions in it so i dont have to use powerstrip

best regards

2. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    the hdmi input only supports HD spec resolutions, so you will need to output 720p or 1080i @ 50/60 HZ. hdmi input doesn't support PC resolutions i.e. 1024 x 768 @75Hz for example. I have a nvidia gfx card and it allows me to output HD 720p@60Hz for example (50Hz needs me to generate a custom setting), not sure what radeon canopus gfx drivers allow you to do?

3. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply i have got it working with a bit of overscan at 1280x720 @ 60hz. what are the resolutions for 720p and 1080i?

regards

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    1280/720, try and set 50Hz for PAL video, and 1920/1080 interlaced for 1080. Everyone who buys a 'HD ready' TV runs into this. The input is just not PC friendly, it's a b****y TV, not a monitor. Maybe one of the Korean panels will eventually cure this one, they don't give a stuff for convention, it's one thing in their favour.

5. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    720p is 1280 x 720 @50 or 60Hz so what you have is fine, though if you can i would highly recomend trying to output 50Hz as the PC will have to frame rate convert PAL DVDs you may want to play, and will see judder on horizontal panning. the overscan maybe because the picture position maybe incorrect and not to SMPTE standard.

6. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys, i tried 1080I but it was very distorted, i am running at 1280 x 720 @ 50hz ( Interlaced )

what do you guys recommend to produce the best image possible from my screen when connected to the computer.
    • keep messing with the settings
    • new graphics card ( nvidia or one with a hdmi out ( if one exists ))
    • connect the screen via D-Sub

i have also noticed that every so often i get a red line go horizontally across the screen in windows and when playing dvd's i also get them going vertically and they usually apear in pairs.

best regards

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Seriously, the best way is to go via VGA instead. This is a non starter via HDMI, it will never be perfect. Overscan is correctable with tweaking, but it will no longer be real 720p, so various layers of scaling are taking place. You've already got 2 levels, as this is non-native to the screen. It's not the one I would have chosen for HTPC use.

8. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply MAW, i will look into a vga cable ( can you recomnend one ), i only use the HTPC to play dvd's ( that are ripped onto my server ) i use the screens freeview etc.

thanks again for the reply

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    XGA from VGA input will of course distort aspect ratio, not a prob for DVD playback, you can correct it.

10. zeuthen

zeuthen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MAW,

Which panel would you choose for HTPC use then?

11. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is the problem im getting, see the little red line ( highlighted ) i get that when viewing anything via HDMI ( dont get it on anything else ) they just flash up for a split second

[​IMG]

should i be contacting panasonic about this, or is it more down to the fact that its connected to a PC?

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's very likely a PC connection prob. You'd need to connect a HDMI device to check, Pana will wash their hands of it for PC connections, this is not what HDMI is for.
    Zeuthen, if it must be a 42", then the Pioneer 43MXE-1 is the best, followed by the Panasonic TH42PHD7. Many of the 50" panels are suitable.

13. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nah, it 'cos you're using a PC rather than a Mac... :)

14. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just connect it using the standard PC input, pq is very very good.

15. wrooney

wrooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuartam81 I am connect my PC (vith ATI 9600 inside) to PV500 via vga cable (7 meters long), and pq is very good. I have set 1280x1024 res in display properties on PC for PV500 (thats native res of my lcd), so panny scales it down to 1024x768 so I get a whole desktop picture. If I set 1024x768 in display properties I got only a part of desktop on my panny (no scaling, its native panny's res). So, best way is to set a res for panny which you got on PC display. Overscan is no problem, adjust pic in disp. prop. -> displays -> monitor -> adjustements. Its not a bad idea to go to www.ati.com and check latest generic ati drivers for your graphic card. I also have to warn you that you can forget about using multi window mode in any combination with PC input as pv500 doesn't support that. For that you should use S-video output on PC and S-video input on panny. The pq isn't so good as with vga cable (but u can have your panny's act like it have 2 tuners with your Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-T) :smashin:

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Wrooney, you can do better than this. Using extended desktop, you can run 2 monitors at different resolutions, filling the screen correctly on both. I have seen the problem you describe at 1024/768, it's the PC causing the problem. Unfortunately the look of the monitor setup varies from PC to PC, it's very hard to say exactly where yours have screwed up.

17. wrooney

wrooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MAW.
    IMHO there isn't any problem, maybe you misunderstand me bcs of my bad english. In my way of setup PC and pv500, I got what I want, same picture on both lcd monitor and plasma. Plasma scales down lcd res of 1280x1024 to 1024x768, and it scales good so pq on pv500 is not perturb. If I want to watch dvd,divx or tv using tv tuner in PC, I just put it in overlay.
    If I use your setup with extended desktop, it's true that you can run 2 monitors at different resolutions, but plasma behave itself ONLY like extended desktop. I don't want to drag&drop anything on plasma screen as its mounted on the wall behind me 5 meters away. No way of setting pv500 like second monitor. Thats how it is with ATI, donno maybe you can do different setups with nVidia.
    Regards

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Extended desktop is a non starter if you have to run overlays, it's not supported. The reason for the suggestion is merely that I could never bring myself to run a £2.5k monitor at anything other than native.

19. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replys guys, i have just enough van damme cable to make a cable up ( want to try this before spending £90 on a cable if required )

does anyone know where i can get some gold solver vga connectors

best regards

20. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Stuart, try www.lindy.com for a cable. I've used them up to 10m without problems, they are nowhere near £90. Gold plated plugs, well shielded (I've had one apart) They are seriously good value, it might be £30 for a 10m.

21. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks have just ordered a 5m cable, was going to make my own but decent d15 gold connector blocks where £10 each, the complete cable there was £30 ( inc del.)

best regards

22. stuartam_81

stuartam_81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    finnaly got my vga cable connected anf the PQ is loads better than connecting the pc via hdmi.

the only problem now is that i have an ati graphics card ( unless anyone has a good monitor config for the pv500 )

at 1024x720 i dont get any picture at all, and at 1920 x 1080 the desktop is that wide i have to use the mouse to move from the left side to the right which takes ages ( not too mention i am missing 30% of the screen. )

best regards

and thanks for the help