1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PV500 - which dvd player? DMRES10 or Samsung HD850?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Hiran, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Hiran

Hiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya. I am new to this forum site. I have recently purchased a Panasonic Th42PV500 (ebay winner!!) and wanted to hook it up to a dvd player which shall give the best pic quality on the panny screen. The plasma came with a free panny dvd recorder (DMRES10) but it doesnt have a HMDI output to go with the screen. I have read all the reviews about the dvd recorder and suggests the player is excellent. But how good is the pic quality? I shall not be using it to do too many recording so i rather have a player that is dedicated to picture quality only. I have been reading the forum and magazines and the Samsung HD945 comes across to a good budget player with HDMI (replaced by the HD 850). What I would really appreciate knowing is from any panasonic DMRES users on how good the pic is compared to a stand alone dvd player? What dvd should I purchase to go with my PV500. I dont want to spend above £200 (wanna wait for HD DVD to come out!!). I want the best pic quality and think that HDMI might be the way to go. Please advice. If you recommend another dvd player then please suggest. I have been also considering the Panny S75 - but have been put off by the xtra twiking required to get the perfect pic. So shall i stick it out with the recorder EMRES10 or go for the Samsung S850 or any other? I will really appreciate any advice given. Many thanks in advance

2. Kefre

Kefre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you may also want to check Toshiba SD350E. Specs look great!
    HDMI compatible
    Up conversion – 1080i
    Optical output
    DivX playback
    PAL Progressive scan
    Component video output
    Hot stamp finish
    Slim design (49.4mm)
    MP3 playback
    JPEG viewer

I was thinking of getting a DVD home cinema system with HDMI, but couldn't find any. So, ended up buying a system with component output

3. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    The Panny DVD-S97 is Panny's flagship DVD player - with HDMI - I've got one connected to my 42PV500B and the picture is totally outstanding.

4. Hiran

Hiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that but please tell me do you hve to pissa round with the settings to get the perfect pic? The mags review suggest that the settings on the S97 require tweaking to get the best picture. I rather have something which is simplier and easier to use. What is your suggestion on this. How have you found the S97? Have you got it connected with HMDI and if so is there a dramatic pic quality inprovement?

5. spylab

spylab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  6. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi, I've not had to do anything apart from set the S97 to HDMI - the picture has been perfect from my perspective.

I previously had the S97 connected via RGB SCART to a CRT television - and now HDMI onto the plasma - can't fault it best DVD player I've owned (and I've had a few!).