1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny Pv500 Plasma Buying Questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Goooner, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,784
    After much reading on these forums and seiing one "in the flesh" as it were, I've decided to take the plunge and go for the Panny TH42PV500.

The main question is, where do I buy it from?

My first thought was John Lewis, as they are local and they may or may not price match, but they have no stock and can't give me a firm guarantee when they will have, may be tomorrow (Weds) but if not they don't know.

I could buy it online, the advantages to this are, it's £300 cheaper and I got have it in two days, but it would only have the standard one year guarantee as opposed to the 5 years that JL offer.

My general experience is that if something is going to go wrong it normally does pretty quickly, if not they go on for years, obviously this is not guaranteed though.

Next question, how easy are these things to get up and running? JL offer to install it for about £25 is it worth it or are they pretty straightforward?

Finally, my setup includes Sky+, Pionneer 656 DVD, Pioneer VSX-D2011 amp and will include the Panasonic DVD recorder that comes free with the plasma. What are my best options to set this up to get the best out of the Panny? How bad is the lip-sync I keep reading about? Is there any way to get over it without buying a new amp? If I have to go with a new amp, I'd rather wait and get one with HDMI connections. Would any lip-sync problems affect every input? At the moment I run all my sound sources through the amp, analogue TV, Sky and DVD.

Thanks for reading if you got this far :)

2. GhillieDhu

GhillieDhu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can tell you that AVSales will allow you to buy an extended warranty from them after the plasma has been bought. So that would cover that part of your questions. Fraid I can't answer any of your others though mate, only new here too and I'll leave that to others who are in the know...

EuanB

3. goon525

goon525
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I started a very similar thread a couple of weeks ago - you'll find it a few pages back. Like you, my first choice was JL, BUT (a) they hadn't got any, and (b) I wanted the CAB version, which they weren't even quoting for. I was reluctant to buy from a no-name Internet supplier. In the end, despite some misgivings, I bought off Dixons website at £2325 for the 42" with CAB (much less than their in-store price). I paid an extra £20 for installation (well worth it, the cabinet construction is fiddly and the whole thing is pretty heavy). They turned up when they said they would, did a good job on the installation, everything works, I don't have any of the problems reported elsewhere, and a week in, I'm very happy. Hope this helps.
    Judging by our nicknames here, I suspect we may support the same footie team!

4. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,784
    I think I'll give JL until tomorrow and see what they say then, if still no stock, I'll order online and hopefully have it for the weekend :) Of course, even if JL do get some in tomorrow, I'll still have to wait for delivery from then :(

The fact that I'm such an impatient bugger too, is definitely making me lean towards an online purchase :rotfl:

I'm after the pedestal stand, which seems to be as rare as rocking horse s**t :) otherwise I could have got it from Currys with free delivery and installation. Could have got the cabinet stand this week, but I wouldn't fit all my kit in it, hence the pedestal and a glass stand.

Hopefully the pedestal should be eay enought to fit. Is the actual screen easy to connect up and get going? Any more complicated than an ordinairy TV?

You could be right about the footie team :thumbsup:

EuanB Thanks for the tip about AV sales, it seems I can get an extra 4 your warranty with hot swap-loan exchange for about £30 more than I'd save buying from JL if they didn't price match.

5. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    Installing the PV500 is exactly the same as any other TV, plug in scart,aerial and/or component leads and turn on, I certainly wouldn't pay anyone to set it up unless you have nobody to help you lift it out of the huge box.When you've got it up and running you may want to tweak the settings, turning off dynamic mode, lowering contrast etc (there's loads of threads regarding this + mal's sticky faq at the top).

Got to say mate I've never noticed any lip-sync problems so far,my CRT was much worse than the PV500.

I've got the standard 1 year warranty on mine and if it breaks within 5 years I'll be taking it up with trading standards if panny will not fix it as a 2k TV should be expected to last around 5 years, there's no way anyone should have to fork out for extra warranty when they have already spent 2k+

6. GhillieDhu

GhillieDhu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No worries mate, I'm still looking myself so hadn't enterd in to the exciting world of price matching. Leaving that till September when I've got the cash.:)

7. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,784
    OK, sounds easy enough.

Pleased to hear this, was slightly concerned over the whole lip-sync issue.

That's a very good point about the warranty, a 2K+ TV should be expected to last longer than 5 years I would of thought. I suspect I probably won't even own it that long, I'm sure I'll be upgrading in 3 or 4 years time, I can't help myself :rotfl:

Thanks guys, you've helped me make up my mind. If JL do get stock tomorrow as they expect and they agree to price match I'll probably get it from then, oh and if they want my 2 grand, they're going to have to be able to deliver by the weekend or I'm buying on line, don't think that's being unreasonable is it? :devil:

8. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,784
    Now ordered from Crampton & Moore for £2334 delivered, slightly more than £300 less than JL, who have no stock anyway.

SHould be here tomorrow :)

I shall look forward to the flood of posts now telling me I could of got it much cheaper elsewhere ;)

At least that's what normally happens whenever I but something :)