1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PV500 and SKY

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gatekeeper1999, Aug 6, 2005.

1. gatekeeper1999

gatekeeper1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a PV500 and Sky Digital (Thomson box, not SKY+). Pretty impressed but not by the picture quality through sky. Changed sky to RGB and slight improvement. But watching the cricket on Ch4 thru' sky and the picture is pretty poor. There is a fuzziness around the players and the ball, especially when the camera is far away from the action.

Am using the cheapo scart lead which came with the sky to connect to AV1. Would a more expensive scart help?? There seems to be a difference of opinions on this on these forums. Any help much appreciated.

Gatey

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,571
    A better lead should help a bit...try TV cables.

If it says AV1/RGB when you go on to the sky channel then that is the best picture quality and a better cable is your next option.
    Also make sure you are on Normal and not Dynamic.

3. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also remember it takes around 200hrs for your plasma to bed in,after which there will be an increase in picture quality.Please remember to turn your contrast and brightness down to 50% at the most or it could end in"TEARS!" :eek:

4. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also, Channel 4 have really squeezed the bitrate on their test coverage - I certainly noticed that the quality wasn't as good as other sports channels. Maybe a Lumagen scaler could eek a fraction more out of such a dodgy signal...

... but on the bright side, it looks like we're going to whup their Ozzie bottoms!*

* I mean, they can't possibly score 107 with only their tail-enders, could they? Could they...?

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Oh please stop being so melodromatic. Posts like this only increase paranoia among plasma users. I didn't do this with my plasma, and I had no problems at all.

6. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey, Nick UK - that seems a bit harsh. I'd take issue with the idea that 'running it in' will increase the picture quality - though many say that plasma PQ does improve marginally over time. However, reduced contrast and brightness for the first 200 hours is pretty standard advice (less paranoid that Panasonic's 1000 hours!). The most critical, surely, is to get it off Dynamic mode to Cinema or Normal. And remember that each input has its own settings.

I think it's irresponsible to say to people that they don't need to do any of this, especially on a forum where people come for advice because they're new to plasmas. Just because you didn't have any problems doesn't mean that someone who's left it on Dynamic with the contrast turned up won't.

7. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    The cricket looks very good on my PW6 using a JS VGA to RGB box, I hate cricket but i love to see us beat them at anything :D

A better scart will help no end as someone has already said, doe's the JS box work on the pv500? if so i'd look at buying one as it really doe's make sky look ace.

8. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Jay - I am using a very thin and cheap scart, but haven't bothered upgrading it as the PQ on almost all the SKY channels is so good! I'll give a better one a try, and see if it adds anything. I'm not sure that a VGA > RGB box would be appropriate - it's going into an RGB input anyway... (I may be wrong on this!)

9. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,076
    Can't say I've noticed any problems with the cricket or football for that matter on my PV500, either from Sky or Freeview, both look really good.

They very nearly did though didn't they :rolleyes:

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    2 runs... eeek!

11. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see people saying dont run your panny in dynamic mode but no one says what will happen if u did...loads of people must have left their settings more or less as is out of the box....if dynamic was such a bad setting i cant see Panasonic providing it in the first place, or at the very least have a warning about not using it when you first use the tv for how many run in hours...maybe they should put a big red button on the tv for dynamic mode with the words Dont press written on it lol

12. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a look at the pv500 FAQs and it says Dynmaic mode reduces the life of the screen...fair enough ....use dynamic sparingly then if u like it in that mode

13. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup - it's basically the default setting because it makes the screens look best in the bright lights of a TV showroom. It says a lot about what manufacturers think of TV salesmen that they assume they won't even be able to adjust the mode before displaying the set, so it's the rest of us that have to do it... :)

14. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +666
    I'm on the other end of the scale gatekeeper, I was sittiing watching the cricket thinking how great it looked on my PV500.I've got Sky+ and use a Maplins Nikkei scart lead and I've been very impressed with the PQ on almost every sky channel.

15. Sluggster

Sluggster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Just a thought. My Sky box came set up with a normal rf signal output and I had to go in to the Sky box set up screen to choose an RGB output. Just having a SCART cable does not mean your Sky box is actually outputting RGB. I wonder how many people are running rf through the SCART and not RGB? The PQ is very much higher once RGB is set as the output signal.

I have countless friends who are not aware of this.

Regards,

Slugg

16. TommyB

TommyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a slightly off topic question.. but what does it mean when you 'change Sky to RGB ' ?

17. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

Right,
    Dynamic mode is the default mode of the plasma. Its there to make it stand out in the crowd when on display in a brightley lit showroom. Dynamic mode has the contrast set to 100%. Not only does this crush the white detail, but it also reduces the plasmas life span. A plasma is a decaying device and keeping it in dynamic mode makes the plasma work harder than it needs to. Its not exacly a great picture in this mode either. I would personaly use Cinema or normal modes for tv and movie watching. :)

Dave.

18. gatekeeper1999

gatekeeper1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all. Have changed from dynamic to normal and reduced contrast/brightness to 50%. Cant really tell if any improvements because WE BEAT THEM IN UNDER FOUR DAYS!

Will also invest in a better scart probably the THOR:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/FORUM-SP1.html

Bring on HD.

19. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Dave....the normal and cinema mode certainly give a much more realistic picture....when I first got my pv500 I did'nt know about how to set up a plasma and Im eternally greatful for this forum and the great advice contained herein

20. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    if you go to settings in your sky menu you can set the output to rgb then you can set your panel input to rgb and this helps to improve the pq :smashin:

21. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    None.
    Scart doesn't carry RF.

What you mean is composite. The Scart lead carries a composite signal as well as RGB. And if RGB isn't enabled on the Sky box, anyone connecting via Sky will see a poorer (but better than RF) composite signal rather than RGB.