Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

panny ptea300-which lead

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bigrabbie, Apr 24, 2004.

1. bigrabbie

bigrabbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering whats the best -scart or svhs for connectng the panny 500 too, what in detail gives the best picture over a 10 meter cable run.

anybodys thoughts would be appricated.

cheers

2. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PTAE300 - I have not tried scart or SVHS. I connect with component cables at about 10 meters - supberb quality.

Try and borrow a cable of each type and test it. You can probably test it with normal length cables, as long as both types of cable are the same length. Whatever is best at a normal length will probably also be better at the 10m length.

3. FIZZBIN2003

FIZZBIN2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm using an SVHS lead (10m) with my Panny AE300 and seems to give very good picture to me.

I was toying with the idea of trying component leads which are supposed to be better but I'm just wondering whether it's worht the cost of upgrading. Will the quality of picture be significantly better?

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depends on the dvd player and lead used aswell as the projector, some work very well with svhs meaning no significant upgrade if component is bad, but it could be vice versa

5. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never tried mine with SVHS but I did try it via composite video ( pants - I know ).

I was very impressed when I first set it up with the composite cable and was not going to bother with component. When I did go to component ( home made aswell ) I was blown away with the quality.

I only have a cheap Yamaha DVD player with component out and I made the component cables from standard co-ax cables with 'Shark' gold plugs from Maplin.

6. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    At 10m there shouldn't really be any noticeable degredation of signal if you use decent cables.

As recomended above you would do well to test with both scart and SVHS first before going out and buying the 10m lead. Remember that scart is a plug not a format. A scart lead can carry composite, SVHS or RGB signals depending on what the source device is able to output....

Technically speaking RGB is the superior of the three (and is pretty much equally as good as component) but the source you are using may be better via SHVS hence the test!

The scart will also carry your auto-widescreen signal which is incredibly useful if you are connecting a Sky box with this lead. And if you take the scart approach it is very easy to connect a scart switcher at the equipment rack end then through the one cable you could connect DVD, Sky, VCR and a bunch of games consoles...

HTH