1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny ptae100 colour tints

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mcmullanbrush, Jul 10, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help please

My panny is 6 days old and has develloped a green tint in the bottom right of the screen and a red tint in the top left.

I am sure I read that someone else had this problem but I havent been able to find it using search.

If anyone can help please let me know asap.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone NOT have this?

Very common m8, not only on the AE-100, but on all LCDs.

3. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are probably refering to my post. The correct term for this problem is a "colour uniformity problem". My AE100 developed this after 200hrs on low lamp or that was the first time that I noticed it. Green in bottom-left and top-right and Red in top-left and bottom-right. I discovered it the night I was watching the AI DVD - never saw it before that night! It is not noticable on all movies, but try and watch a B&W movie and it is intolerable!

My dealer spoke to Panasonic locally and although they hadn't encountered it before, they had another AE100 in at that exact same moment with the same problem. They said that they had ordered a "part" to fix it and that I should bring mine into them in 2 weeks (which will be next week). By then they should know how to fix it or go to plan 2 (whatever that meant). So I guess I will see what happens next week...

ps. "Panasonic locally" in this case refers to Panasonic New Zealand

4. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that

I spoke to Panasonic today and they said it was a problem they had encountered before and I should return the projector to the retailer.

The retailers say that if they consider it to be within acceptable levels they will charge me an inspection fee:mad:

I am unsure what i should do:confused:

Will it get worse?

Will I start to look for it on every film? Probably

I will watch Fargo to see what the snow looks like and then a couple of black and white films.

Do others regard this as something you just have to put up with?

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shouldn't Panasonic look at this under warranty? Surely it isn't up to the retailer to say whether your PJ has a problem.

I've already dealt with a hideously expensive and shoddy Sony 36" CRT TV, now it seems that Panasonic are shirking their responsibilities...how severe is the tinting? Can you get some pictures of the screen?

6. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deviant hello:)

I noticed it last night on some fairly normal films. It didnt seem too bad at the time but noticable.

I have just had a look at Fargo and it is very obvious against the snow.

I will be returning it to the retailer. I have absolutely no doubt they will agree that it is faulty.

I will accept a replacement but if there are any problems with that I will save for a Philips Monroe.

The colouring was not there at first, it appeared after about 15 hours and is getting worse I think.

PS I live in the village that time forgot, they think me a witch for having a PC. So no I darent have the technology to take pictures of my screen :D

7. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Mcmullembrush..sorry to hear of your problems.
    Have you tried messing about with the colour tint see if that shifts it? Even if your going to return it, it`s worth a muck about with isn`t it?

8. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P.S. Mines got 15 hours on it and it`s perfect.........It better stay that way too, It`s very worrying

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone wondering what this looks like, enter the menu, change the background colour to grey (eg. not black or blue).

Exit the menu & select an unused input.

You'll see something like this, but not as bad, hopefully :eek:

BTW, this is not MY projector, just an example for anyone to check their's against.

[​IMG]

10. Digibit

Digibit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This is the fault that made me send my Hitachi projector back around Christmas time (I had two - both with the same problem). Hitachi refused to acknowledge that there was a problem saying the projector was 'in spec'. I have been holding back buying another projector and the Panasonic seemed ideal - until now.

Once I noticed this fault I just couldn't watch a film without looking for it. How many of the Panasonics are affected? Does anyone / everyone else see the same fault to some degree? How much of this colouration will Panasonic tollerate before deeming the unit faulty? (That last question is aimed at any Panasonic spokesgobs monitoring the board)

Once you have been told about this it it is pretty hard to ignore (like the rainbow effect on DLP's) Replies would be greatly appreciated before I spend my hard earned (again).

Digibit

11. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My retailer now tells me they have contacted Panasonic who told them to send it back and give me a replacement/refund.

That seems to indicate that Panasonic accept this as a problem.

I tried to watch "The Untouchables" last night. It didnt exactly spoil the film but Sean Connerys living room had pink wallpaper on on side and mint green on the other:eek:
    This was not a decorating error;)

I would be very interested to know how many other owners suffer from this. It will help me decide on whether to accept a replacement Panny.

12. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted Panasonic with that in mind Walter. They told me there was nothing I could do and that I should return it.

I was delighted with the projector and will buy another but I am not sure I need all the stress that seems to come with the Panny

13. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You know, the funny thing is, my colors are normal again today - no color uniformity problem (and mine was worse than the picture above, only 2 weeks ago). If I set the background to 'grey' and select an unused input, the screen is a smooth grey throughout. If you really want to be picky, you could notice a slight green tint in the bottom left corner, but not really too noticable.

The only thing I have done was to move the PJ a little further away from the wall (it is ceiling mount) to allow more room for ventillation (was about 10cm before and now about 25cm away).

I now have to decide whether to still take it back to Panasonic on Monday...

14. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched another film last night and i have to say the problem was barely noticable at the start but got worse as time went on.

If it is a ventilation problem, then surely Panasonic would say that, rather then telling me to return the projector:confused: