1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny pta100 - overheating?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gojira, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

This is my first post so be gentle!

Having read your comments (good&bad) & had an amazin demo, I will soon be taking ownership of a Panny lcd projector.

My wife has also been most helpful having allowed me, after 10 years of trailing speaker cables & black boxes around the lounge, to convert a spare room (3.5mx2.5m) into a cinema room (I will post details on the d.i.y. forum once construction begins).

Thing is though, the wall upon which I plan to shelf it has a radiator on it & I imagine there could be an overheating issue as I've worked out the optimum height will be about a foot higher.

Ok, I know I could make/buy a ceiling bracket but would this distort the picture? My ceiling is fairly low (2.18m) & once a bracket is fitted it will probs be circa 2m from the floor.

Your advices are awaited with thanks!:D:blush:

2. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I don't have a Panny yet but as I understand it ceiling mounting won't distort the image. You tell the projector this and it projects the image the other way up. Starting the image roughly 5-10cm above the projector. This may mean the image is too high.

If you want to go with above the radiator maybe consider mounting a shelf just above the radiator and lining the underside with some of that silver insulating foam that comes on rolls. This may help to deflect some of the heat.

I'm a newbie to this malarky too though so anyone else care to comment,

Andy Trump

3. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy, will give that some thought.

Mind you, the thought of making a diy bracket for ceiling mounting does sound like fun!

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    look at my pics to see the panny ceiling mounted.

I wouldn't have it any other way now :)

5. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very cool . where did you get the bracket ?

(in case the stud walling, plastering, painting, trunking, mdf screen cutting, and cabinet making reduces my diy bug!):cool:

6. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
  7. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the link, will keep them in mind.

8. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    oops

9. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You wont need the radiator. The Panny does a great job of heating the room all by itself! :D

I have a radiator in my room which is 4m x 2.5m albeit not under the panny. Maybe during the winter it may get a little chilly in the room, so you could leave the radiator on until you switch the PJ on. Then switch the radiator off and the Panny should maintain the room temperature.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Keith

Very cool set up!:cool:

Will post some piccys of mine when finished - if it's anything like yours then I'll be chuffed to bits.

11. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith. Where did you get the Hifi rack thing? It looks like just the sort of thing I need.

12. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    calibos that PC case is really nice, I have a sneaking feeling its a Dell case. If it isn't could you tell me where you got it?, and the dimensions lengthxwidthxheight if possible?.

Thanks

I like your setup btw :)

13. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Glasswalker - The rack was bought in a local carpet/furniture store, so unless you live near Bray in Ireland, then theres no point telling you how to get there:) I'm not even sure what make it is:) It does have 'DOME' printed on the front if thats any help!

Jrwood - Your 'sneaking feeling' was correct. It is a Dell. Was your sneaking feeling because of the last line of my sig? :D

14. Gojira

Gojira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Panny for a week now and, whilst it is currently desk mounted, I plan to ceiling mount it soon.

However....

This baby pumps out some serious heat! Could have saved a fortune on heating!

Is there a minimum clearance at the rear? I plan fo there to be about 18inches (the manual isn't very specific)

15. smicker

smicker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Calibos
    Like your set up. I was wondering what type of screen you have and where you got it. Also what type of contions you used for PS2 Sky and of course DVD ie SVideo etc. Have you had any probs with the Panny? By the way Iam in the North near Carrickfergus, Cheers smicker

16. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Gorjira

You said you cant mount the pj on a shelf cos it will be only a foot higher than the rad, why not set the projection mode to ceiling then put a shelf onthe wall at the 2m mark ( or whereever it works out to be for your room) and then put the PJ upside down on the shelf. I have read others here have it that way. I think they use blue tac or simular to stop the buttons being affected by the upside down instal, but a piece of wood or book etc would do the same.

17. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to browse forum posts while at work so I must of missed your signature!. I recognised it because Ive always been a fan of Dell cases especially since we've gone from Dell only at work to HP ...

I will order new contact lenses ASAP ;)