Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panny Problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Steve N, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
    Ive got an eight year old panasonic TX-W36D3DP/U
    This last couple of days Ive been getting a band across the top of the picture. It slowly grows from nothing to about an inch thick. on some channels it just looks like a black bar - like a slight letterbox effect, but on most channels it shows as a distortion of the colour/picture.
    Ive been holding out on upgrading my TV hoping that over the next 24 months or so HD type sets will start coming on to the market (I prefer CRT pictures to plasma)
    Is the the tube going or could it be a cheap fix.
    If not what recommendation for a replacement - must have superb picture and as future proof as poss connectability
    Thank guys

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, tricky one this. From your description of the fault it is not your crt. From what you described with a 'black band' appearing at the top of the picture (I assume its across the entire width ?) then I would have said you have a 'faulty' capacitor on that part of the circuitry that deals with 'decoupling' on at least one of the secondary power supply rails - it would not be at all surprising on a telly of this age. A competent service engineer would be able to track down the faulty component (although on a telly this age you are likely to have a number of 'faulty/aged' capacitors) and replace it. the cost of parts would be pennies but the cost of his time to find the faulty part could add up. To be honest (and I fix tellys for a living) you haven't done badly to get 8 years from a domestic telly and to buy a new one wouldn't be a 'wrong' decision. As to buying something futureproof - well that'sa big big question and I will leave it to others to give you their opinions. I hope this has been of some help ? Regards, yt

3. Mike@#36

Mike@#36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't think there is such a thing as a futureproof telly!, it all really depends what you want out of it. HD, DVD quality, This HZ that HZ, Flat Panel, Digital Tuner etc...

Whatever you end up buying there will be a new gimmick or feature along next week. As for HDTV that may be several years off yet, and if you buy a new telly now is likely to be something you look for in your next telly. I think the change from Analogue Tuners to Digital will be the next main change especially as many areas will have their analogue signal switched off as soon as the next five years.

It's a pity TVs can not be made with slots that can take the feature you want like PC cards, so that you can select the Tuner you want etc.. and just slot it in, in much the same way you can change a modem or TV card in your PC. Perhaps this is too radical for TV manufacturers.