1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny Plasma & XBOX RGB connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by epicdream, Dec 6, 2002.

1. epicdream

epicdream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi,

I recently purchased a Joytech Digital AV cable for my Xbox, I hooked it up to the RGB > VGA (via JS box) input on my W5 panny plasma only to be greeted with a green only output :-(

OK, what I need to know is whether the official microsoft cable will give me the same results??? Are there any other Xbox/Panny plasma owners out there who use the MS cable?

I am getting a little fraustrated because I have another RGB cable which works fine, only no digital out!! I want to experience Dolby Digital without a green screen, so will the MS cable solve my problems??????

Thanks in advance, :)

Neill

PS. I adjusted the sync on the PC RGB setting on the Panny and no joy there :-(

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The Microsoft Advanced SCART also has optical ouput.

I've not looked at the Joytech one (a friend does have it), but it does seem strange. During development work (for something else), I did notice that if you have any information on the green line before the picture it can saturate the green channel. This gives a green picture, but initially looked fine. Turned green within half a second.

I'd suggested trying to get a hold of a Microsoft cable - even just on loan.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. epicdream

epicdream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Dr John,

Thanks for the reply, I took a leap of faith and bought the Microsoft cable. Guess what? It works perfectly!!!

I never thought the problem lied in the RGB > Plasma box. Simply because Sky+ works in RGB and a cheapo stereo XBOX lead I bought a while back worked too!

Just one question though, Is it a good idea to keep ripping the scarts out of the back of the box each time I want to use a different source, or should I fork out for a RGB splitter box? I worry about losing picture quality with a splitter....?

Thanks,

Neill

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is it a good idea to keep plugging and unplugging from the Plasma VGA unit? I think you should treat it like any other video device, yes if you have to disconnect from it, please do, but a SCART switch is highly recommended. I've been told the one from Argos is very good for this, and won't detract from the quality (it's a switch, so it should be fine - as opposed to a splitter should be avoided.)

All the best,

John.

PS - Going to have to get Unreal for the XBox....

5. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night we hooked up a friends Xbox to my Pw5, it was connected using the MS RGBcable through a JS RGB-Svid converter then thorugh Yamaha AMP into Plasma, there was a terrible ghosting round basically everything on screen, my game cube is connected in the same way(We just swapped the cables) and it looks perfect. The only thing we could think of is that it has something to do with Pal-60. When we first tried PAL-60 on the cube it didn't look at good, but it was only today we realised that this could be it.

Anyone else noticed this problem. I know there's a thread going about progressive ghosting but this was standard interlaced output.

Thanks.

John.

6. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    007 Nightfire on the XBox is superb! Just got a copy yesterday, and boy is it good. Going to be deathmatching with some friends tonight. Going to plan a network session with several XBoxes, projectors and large TVs! Should be fun....

steelej,
    not sure why you're getting ghosting. You can get S-Video leads for the XBox, thery're not Microsoft ones, but there are available.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

7. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Neill,

I'd posted elsewhere that I thought the problem was down to sync on green with the x-box and the Joytech cable.

from your comments it may well be an issue with the cable.........I'll get mine replaced and see what happens.

brian.

8. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What happens with some TVs, not all, is that they take the black level during the entire sync period, rather than just after it as they should. The area where a black level should be taken is called the back porch.

With an extra signal during the time when a screen is getting it's reference point (just before the back porch), it casuses an offset resulting in a saturated green picture. So having snyc-on-green isn't always a good idea.

And added to this, if you've got circuitry to add it to the green signal as some people have suggested for interfacing RGB, you're processing one line. This can cause other problem as well as detract from the picture quality. If you want RGB, best to keep these lines as pure as possible.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

9. epicdream

epicdream

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Phew!!!

That's really deep Dr. John..... All that talk of porches and stuff ;-)

I am just glad the MS cable works, I am really enjoying my Xbox now and the 5.1 sound is stunning..... I haven't had a console since my old SNES, how things have changed:eek:

Brian,
    Thanks for the help, it was much appriciated, I tried changing sync settings on my plasma, with that Joytech cable but to no avail. At least everything's sorted now :D

Just rented 007 Nightfire, off to play it now........

Thanks guys & Happy Christmas!

Neill