1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny plasma vga vs. Svideo

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jackal2513, Aug 8, 2002.

1. jackal2513

jackal2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone ever actually compared say sky tv through these two input methods.

I'll tell you why. I got my nokia FTV box rigged up via vga and reliased then that you cannot use Just mode with the vga input. I happen to find Just mode very good and pretty useful for broadcast TV. So i am thinkning of plugging the digital box via Svideo instead and was wondering if the step down in quality would be bearable ? Also, i am assuming that Just mode is available with Svideo ?

2. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    This is one of the pains with the Panasonic/Toshiba. I use an RGB-VGA Sims converter and although it works great, I do miss the Just mode. I think he is bringing out an RGB-COMPONET converter soon, and since the Component (and S-Video) port supports the JUST mode it may be worth waiting for.
    BTW, I use S-Video from my Sky+ box as well as RGB and it looks fine.
    Because the Panasonic/Toshiba remebers the screen settings for each input, I have zoomed and stretched the S-Video input to remove the screen logos, so when my young kids watch cartoon network/Nick Jnr etc for several hours on end, they watch it via S-Video with the logos off-screen. They don't notice some of the picture missing at all and it prevents any screen burn from those nasty logos.

3. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I'd just like to confirm that yes, I am bringing out a RGB to Component (YUV) box very soon. They're in production at the moment and should be on general release very soon (there were a couple of early models available to a select few).

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

4. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    John, any chance of doing a part-exchange or upgrade offer?

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry, we don't have a used program for our products - we have never found the need to do so. In general my customers are very happy with our products and continue to use them.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

6. browellm

browellm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Norman, you beat me to it. I was just about to ask the exact same thing.

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    through my component imput on my toshiba i dont get the just mode only 4.3 16.9 and zoom but no just
    could you not use a scart to s-video lead or not

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The pana plasma does NOT do Just through component input - only S-Video or composite.
    jackal2513, your Nockia box would have to output s-video to be able to do, drum roll, s-video and I don't think that box does it. So RGB will be your best option. If you have a VGA to 5 BNC cable you could use the component input instead of VGA - this is what I use at present and have found the picture great for Sky. It centres better as well. In other post you mention your digi picture sits to one side, this is not unusual and so yes use the picture realign - mine needed nudging to the left.
    As ever, decent quality cables will reap rewards. The Van Damme ones from Joe at www.tmfsolutions.co.uk are excellant. I went from one of John Simms vga to vag to a Van Damme set an noticed better colour purity/hold etc - no insult to John! And you will notice differences between using the RGB or component inputs for same equipment, so worth swapping about to see which sits best where.

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Very happy for people to experiment with different cables! After all, getting the best from home-cinema is one of my aims. I feel an upgrade comming on....

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

10. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

Thought it was about time I chipped in...

For the first two days of using my RGB->VGA box, I used a VGA lead from Maplin- the most expensive one in their shop. It was about £25. Then, I moved on to a Silver Serpent VGA lead from BetterCables (http://www.bettercables.com/1met328feetv.html). The picture was vastly superior as a result. The most noticeable bit was that the colours were much much more vibrant. However, I know that those cables are only available in the USA. Lucklily, my parents were in the USA at the time and I had them bring the cables I needed back with them!

All in all, if you've got a £4000 screen, its not worth compromising it by using a freebie VGA lead you got with a monitor you bought way back when...

Hope this helps
    Andrew

11. jackal2513

jackal2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

eh ? Surely i can use RGB into the JS tech RGB>S-Video box ? That is my intention in any case.

I dont want to use VGA (cos of Just mode) and dont want to use component (cos teh dvd player goes in there)

Also, thanks for the info about the Nokia box. Howver, some channels are shifted further to the right than others ? Guess it may not be an issue through S-video

12. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I must admit, I would have thought the answer was in using an RGB Scart cable to JS Tech's RGB - S-Video converter and then an S-Video lead to the plasma's S-Video input?

Surely that would give you the just mode back, right? :confused:

13. jackal2513

jackal2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    indeed - but encaser seems to be saying otherwise ???

14. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have read his post a few times over and I still can't make my mind up on what he is definately saying over S-Video.

I think he is just advising you that your Nokia doesn't natively output S-Video..which is correct (I assume) however, I would have thought that the JS Tech conversion from RGB Scart to S-Video would put paid to this issue?

I would have thought that as long as you are connected to the S-Video source socket you would be laughing with the Just mode?

Is there ANYONE out there who has connected a Digibox via RGB Scart conversion to the S-Video input on the Panny Plasma panel?

15. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No, you need a converter in there. Digiboxes don't output S-Video (except Sky + or the newest Grundig box) so simply using a SCART to S-Video lead won't work. This only changes the connection type, not the signal that's being carried.

Confused? The main thing is to consider that a cable carries a signal, but that signal can be RGB, S-Video or composite. An adaptor lead will change the physical connection, but not the signal. To change from RGB to S-Video you need a little bit of power and re-generate an S-Video image from the RGB.

All the best,

John.

16. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Following from your top post Jackal, it reads as though you were thinking of going direct s-vid from digi to plasma. All I was warnoing was Nokia don't do and RGB best anywho. A john Sim RGB to Svid converter would/should do it but at cost pq probably. Plus be aware that if you are unlucky you may end up with the s-vid signal being locked to Zoom, can't remmeber if JS box s-vid copes with this. Best ask John...

17. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You won't have S-Video locked in a zoom mode with the S-Video converter. It's caused by an DC offset voltage on one of the pins to indicate w/s material, which the S-Video converter doesn't put on.

And if you do have a problem with S-Video being locked, there's an external circuit which removes this DC offset, and therefore allowing you to adjust the zooms. I posted this solution to AVS forum, and I think I did it here too - will repost if requested.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

18. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    This is not true, at least not on my screen. I tested this last night and although I only have my Sony 7700 DVD player connected to the component input, all widescreen modes worked, including JUST mode.