1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny Plasma Tuner

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Claus, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

How is the quality of the new slim-line Panny Plasma tuner(TUPTA600)?
    It has component in, but I believe the output cable(that goes to the screen)
    is a VGA??? Is it VGA?

Will the picture be bad if I connect my component signal through the tuner?

Or should I just get a S-Video VCR which I use for my TV signals and use the
    component cable from the DVD player straight into the screen?

Opinions?

Thanks,

Claus

2. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll let you know when my tuner arrives - I've had the screen for a couple of weeks now with just DVD (component) and TiVo (RBG Scart) connected, so once I've put them through the tuner I should be able to see if there's any degrade in PQ.

According to Richer Sounds, the tuner should be here last Friday. Hhhmmmmm.

The lead is not VGA - at least not to look at - it's a bespoke lead, hence why the screen needs another input card rather than just using the existing VGA port.

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its a proprietry cable and board.

In my view the tuner is not as good as the RCA board, but its still very good, makes life easier for wife and co though.

Neil.

4. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pwhite8314,

I would also love to know your personal oppinions on the tuner please as i am about to buy the panny and want the tuner but would like someone with first hand experience's advice!!!

thanks

5. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the tuner and am currently experiencing problems with it. On some channels (not all) on analogue NTL cable white text displayed on a black background e.g. credits at the end of a movie get very badly distorted to a point where it is hard to read. This is only present on some channels and doesn't happen at all on my DVD. Some pre-recorded videos playing through my VCR also cause this.

I don't know what is causing the problem, but i suspect it could be a faulty tuner... anyone got any ideas?

Apart from that Im generally happy with the tuner, however the buttons of the remote feel too rubbery for my liking.

6. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Ive just bought one , had it a day or so
    and am totally impressed,
    Very child/wife friendly and easy connections on the rear (4 scarts and component)

Some of the more "Purists" amoung us may disagree with me, but for my needs it serves me well

7. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll let you know my views - I'll be making my weekly call to RS to chase them up, so who knows, I might have the tuner within the next year or two!

Like Madgames, I'm not a purist, I just want a picture broadly comparible, or better, than the equivelent CRT or RP. AS with others, the tuner box is partly for wife-approaval, and partly to keep the connectivity simple. I'll be having an Xbox, TiVo, Sky and a DVD going through it.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There is definately quality loss with the tuner, but as it doesn't use the VGA port, it's possible to connect a scart-vga as well as component to the tuner, then you've got it simple for the non-technical, and fab. picture when you're there to do it for them. Not that the picture is ruined by the tuner, it just loses a certain something, not as sharp/polished.

9. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    That's pretty subjective isn't it?

I used to have a Tuner, and DVD picture via component is not noticeably different from RCA card's component input. Which is what one would expect since Panasonic's AV Support team say that there is no processing on Tuner's component input; it just passes signal straight through to the screen.

Perhaps you're talking about SkyDigital, or other sources? Incidentally, SkyDigital input via tuner does seem to hide the "chroma-bugs" that you get when you use a deinterlacer/scaler (unless you use an iScan Ultra that has a chroma-filter :)).

To enable the VGA port, you have to unplug the cable from the tuner; with the power off of course.

When I replaced Tuner's card with the RCA one; I took a glimpse at the Tuner's card (through the grills). Interestingly, the card is just a circuit board consisting of thin connection circuits; from external connector to two internal edge connectors. Very different from RAC card that is covered in chips and heatsinks.

StooMonster

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well I've been doing it wrong then. But nonetheless, subjective is the word, and how else do you assess it unless you are Gordon, and have a tool for measuring it. And besides, whilst the tool side is fine for checking the colour temperature, but it doesn't mean you like the picture any better.

11. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I don't think you've been doing anything wrong, I'm just pointing out that your opinion "There is definately quality loss with the tuner" differs from my opinion.

However, my only comparison is on progressive component DVD, as I have only ever run SkyDigial through Tuner or iScan Ultra. Perhaps it's noticeably different from Tuner vs JSTech RGB2VGA? I wouldn't know.

Saying that, I am extremely pleased with my more "purist" setup of progressive DVD player to RCA card and all other sources via iScan Ultra to VGA and BetterCables cables used throughout. :devil:

StooMonster

12. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I finally rigged up my DVD player through component on the tuner box and to be honest i cant see any difference between that and the RCA cards component sockets, they both look as awesome as each other :))

My Xbox in high def also looks just as good thrugh the tuner

13. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    madgames,

could you please tell me how you are running your DVD and XBox thru the component, as this is exactly what i want to do.......do you have a splitter (if so where did u get it??) or are you swapping cables.

Also, could you tell me how many scarts are on the back of the tuner and how many are RGB and is it true that one of them is disabled if you connnect something to the component!!.

Cheers, are really would appreciate your advice

14. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Ok,
    I use a Denon 3802 as my component switcher (it alows 2 sources in, and one out)
    The Panny tuner has 4 scarts on the back
    AV1-Scart is RGB and AV4 is RGB through scart and component through the RCAs

If you connect component into the tuner RCAs then it will disable RGB on Scart 4

Phew, hope that makes sense mate