Panny plasma S video AV connection

delta

Ex Member
Reaction score
I have a 50" Panasonic plasma and I connect my JVC S-VHS VCR to the AV input on the plasma. S video takes over the input and component cannot be selected. However if I connect just the S video lead the picture rolls vertically, but if I also connect the composite plug then the picture is stable. I use component for my DVD and the PC input with a Syncblaster for my terrestrial digibox. Is this right?

S-Video / Composite input is one input with two connectors. I tell all of my customers this when they're asking me how best to hook everything up. It's something to watch for with the Panasonic screen.

How do you get round it? One solution is to use a manual switch box, where the terminals are effectively disconnected. Another is to use an A/V amp as a video switch and have everything as either S-Video (recommended) or composite.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

Thank you John, I am looking into using my amp as the switching centre. Presumably if I go this route and use just S video and not composite then I will not need a connection to composite on the plasma in order to prevent the picture rolling? I need to connect, TiVo, Sky digibox, Freeserve didgbox, DVD and VCR (S-VHS). So DVD can stay connected directly to component and my Freeserve box, routed via TiVo to PC and Sky box and VCR via the amp S video to the plasma AV input. I will need to add a RGB to S video converter for the Sky box. Any other comments will be appreciated.

Dr John Sim,

I think you may have a problem using a switch box between S-Video / Composite inputs on a Panasonic D4.

I found thats as soon as you plug in the S-Video connector to the screen, then its electronically disables the Composite input by detecting that a S-Video connector is pluged it.

So the only thing you can do to get the Composite input back (Needed by RGB SCART inputs to "Sync on Video") is to remove the S-Video connector. I spend £20 on a S-Video cable, that I can't use...

I think thats where your converter boxes will help people.

I am very lucky to have all my boxes outputing RGB.
So all I do is feed the SCART cables into a passive RGB SCART switching box, then feed the output via a SCART to BNC cable to the Plasma. This works great as all my boxes are digital and have good quality sync signals, and the quality of the picture is stunning.

When I get a Component Progressive DVD player, all I have to do is get a SCART to Component cable, then plug this into the SCART switching box and change the input mode on the D4 from "RGB" to Component and set the "signal" to "sync on Green" (I think, I not tryed it).

I can re-test the S-Video connector issue if you need me to confirm the above, if its helpful to anyone else.

Best Regards,
Bluebear.
:D

Hi bluebear,

I don't know a great deal about picture quality stuff but, if you take component outputs from your DVD player to a scart unit, then from the scart unit to the component inputs on the plasma are you going to get a drop in quality, rather than straight from the DVD to the Plasma?

Mike

mikeq,

I know what you are saying a about "drop in quality" and I do Agree a direct connection is the best.
I was worried about creating "Standing waves" due to mismatches in the cables impedance and the SCART box,
but I have done tests, by connecting the BNC to SCART directly into eg. DVD and by-passing the SCART switched box.

I found that it did NOT reduce the picture quality at all.
I think this is because I am using VERY high quality cables.
I also made my own test cable (BNC to SCART ) using broadcast quality cable and compared this with the CPC cable I am currently using, and again I can't see any difference.

I think once you get to a quality level of cable that can handle signal of 0-10mhz and good impedance and cross-talk, then you will not see any difference.

I had to buy a made-up cable because the one I made was not flexible enough.

If I convert the Component to VGA then I think you may see a drop in quality compared to using a passive SCART switching Box.
Again it all depends on the losses in the Video signal chain, thats why Dr John Sim uses the best possible materials in his convertor boxes.

Trust me, I tried a £15 SCART cable first and I could SEE the difference on the screen, this is because the display is HUGE and just like amplifiering the noise.

Best Regards,
Bluebear.
:D

Delta,

what a system you have!

Sky should feed your TiVo, but I'm not sure about the freeserve box - I don't know that is (ok, see I admit when I don't know something!!). You could convert the output of the TiVo for the PC - but again I'm not sure what you intend to do with the PC.

If you can keep the VGA socket free, this is where to connect TiVo in to, via the Plasma VGA unit. Otherwise, conversion to S-Video is still an option.

Quite right to avoid composite at all costs! It's not up to the standard of your screen, so to get the best out of the screen, you've got to feed it with the very best!

Blue Bear:
I'm sure one of my customers has used the little switch boxes without any problems. Perhaps if someone could help clarify this? Does it auto switch to S-Video even if there's no video signal??

I only ever use parts that are fit for purpose, and this is based upon performance - not anything else. Essentially, I design products to the standard that I would expect. That means selecting some of the best component from some of the finest suppliers around the world. Then add Made in UK/Europe. That's very important to me - especially when you see so many companies simply importing. I do try to use UK suppliers, and the products will always be made in the UK.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

John, sorry to confuse you, my mistake, I should have said 'FreeVIEW' set top box, not freeserve! It is a digital terrestrial box that I use as my main source and is linked with scart to TiVo and from there via a Syncblaster to the PC input on my plasma. (This feeds RGB to the plasma). The only solution I can think of, other than using composite, is to buy an RGB to S video converter so I can convert the RGB output from the Sky digibox to S video to input to my VCR and from the VCR to the AV (S) input on my plasma. But I will then need to keep a RCA plug in the composite input on the plasma to prevent the picture from rolling!

Delta,
Connect the Free View in to the VCR input of Sky, then to TiVo. You'll still have your VCR connected up using composite. Easy!

All the best,

John.

Hmmm, I'll need to get my head around this. TiVo controls the switching of Freeview stb for recodring using signals picked up by sensors. I need to consider the effect it may have on the Sky box. I'll drop a line to the TiVo forum.

Back later!

I'm sure one of my customers has used the little switch boxes without any problems. Perhaps if someone could help clarify this? Does it auto switch to S-Video even if there's no video signal??

Dr John Sim,

I did some tests on my Panny D4 last night, and I can confirm that I was right.
If you are watching a "RBG + Composite" signal on the D4, then connect a S-video plug (with nothing connected to the other end) then the "No Signal" message will appear on the screen.

This is because the S-video socket on the D4 has a built in switch thats electronically disables the Composite input.

I hope this helps you.

Best Regards,
Bluebear.
:)

BlueBear,

thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that you could have it connected, if there were no signal present.

All the best,

John.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom