1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny plasma query

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alexk, Feb 18, 2005.

1. alexk

alexk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone can help I'd be really grateful...

Ive just bought a Panasonic TH42PW4, a TUPTA300B tuner box and a SCHT520 all in one. As youve probably guessed they are a couple of years old, but new to me. Im having a slight problem connecting them up and I have two questions:

1. The terrestial tv picture that i get is blurred (almost like there are two of everything!). Ive connected them up as follows:

coaxial aerial lead to tuner box
    All in one to tuner box by scart
    tuner box to plasma by RGB and something called HD/VD

Am I going wrong anywhere? I'm not really sure what the HD/VD is for (i thought RGb would do the trick - sound comes from all in one). It looks like the professionals who installed it previously used a phono lead to connect the HD/VD from plasma to tuner box - and the picture was really good. I'm told all the leads are top notch.

So is there anything that I can do to sort out the blurred images? Ive seen mentions of VGA and SKY, but ive spent all my money on the bits that i have got so i cant relly afford an expensive fix. Besides, the picture is so bad that I assume i must be doing something wrong!

2. I previously had the all in one connected straight to plasma through RGB - the dvd picture was great, but its slightly less good when connected via the tuner box. Would i be right in thinking that this is just because the tuner box degrades the quality a little? its all plumbed in, so i cant really unplug the leads and hook the all in one stright to the plasma everytime i want to watch a dvd! is there an alternative?

thanks again

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    an unshielded VGA lead often causes a blurring/double image

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    alexk the man you need to speak to is Piers, do you actually wanht the tunerbox? ie analogue TV? or do you have sky? and does DVD have Component out?

4. alexk

alexk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much. Piers - are you out there?

I've only got analogue tv at the moment. Im sure I'll get sky at some point but ive got to use this tuner box in the meantime.

Im pretty sure the all in one dvd has component out (it certainly has the red green blue connections and its quite a new model i think)

cheers

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    alex,

Sorry for the delay in replying - other things going on today. I haven't had an extensive play with the Panny tuner box - all I know is that the picture quality from one that a customer had was far from brilliant.

The TH-42PW4 (particularly if it is the PWD4) is arguably the finest standard definition plasma that Panasonic has produced and connected up properly you should get a belter of a picture from it. Sadly, that picture won't come from analogue TV via the tuner box,though it should be a lot better than you seem to be getting at the moment.

If the web sites that I have checked tonight are correct - and there is lots of wrong info out there, so take this with a "health warning" - it looks like the SCHT520 has component output - is this what you are describing as RGB? The component outputs will be 3 phono sockets, coloured red, green and blue and I think this is what you used when you got the good picture from the all-in-one DVD player.

As you got a good picture using that method of connection I am 99% sure that your plasma is set to "component" rather than "RGB" for the RGBHV inputs. To use RGB into the panel you need to change that to RGB (press set-up on the remote, toggle down to signal, and change from component to RGB). You then need to connect 5 cables to the RGB inputs on the plasma - R,G,B,H and V.

If my diagnosis is correct (at its not easy without the kit in front of me) you should now have a much improved picture out of the tuner box. If, and when, funds allow, the better long-term solution is to ditch the tuner box, get either Freeview or Sky or digital cable and convert the RGB output from their receiver box through a JS Tech RGB to VGA converter and feed that into the PC input of the plasma.

If my suggestion above doesn't work please let us know and I will have another try :D :D