Panny Plasma not working after cutting off moulded plug

iandb0812

Standard Member
Reaction score
We are about to have our room plastered and taking to opportunity to hide cables in trunking behind plaster board.

I've cut the moulded plug from the Panasonic tv to feed cable through and when wired to a new plug the tv is no longer working.

Have I screwed the TV some how? I figured it would just be a case of extending the cable and fitting a new plug then switching on and hey presto.

New plug had a 13a fuse compared to a 5a in the moulded plug. Mains socket is fine as other things work ok from it.

Before I do the same to the freesat box is it not a good thing to do?

Thanks

Read more: http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9988080&posted=1#post9988080#ixzz2zYbDpxqt

As long as you've wired the mains plug correctly it should work...you also state "I figured it would just be a case of extending the cable and fitting a new plug"...so have you fitted a male/female connector there...is that wired correctly?
You say the set is not working...is the standby led lit?
Does your model (you haven't given the model no?) have a mains on-off switch you've forgot to push?...you won't be the first that's happened to.
The 13A fuse cannot cause this (unless it's blown), but you should replace it with the 5A originally fitted.

I have extended several cables with and without male and female connecters in line and none have failed to work yet, it has to be something simple as stated above, the fuse in the cable wont affect this as that fuse is for the cable only anyway and not the tv and should be a 3 amp one in it anyway, the set is protected internally on the board anyway.

Well its the wrong fuse in it in the 1st place, it should actually be a 2.17 amp one to be precise but good luck finding one of them so it will be a 3 amp one, and that's being ott probably, the formula is this watts divided by voltage i.e 500 watts / 230 Volts (it will be less than that) = 2.17.

Well its the wrong fuse in it in the 1st place, it should actually be a 2.17 amp one to be precise but good luck finding one of them so it will be a 3 amp one, and that's being ott probably, the formula is this watts divided by voltage i.e 500 watts / 230 Volts (it will be less than that) = 2.17.

Having worked in the electronics trade for 45 yrs I don't need a reminder of any formulae thanks.
I'm simply stating what the OP has told us and that is that his Tv came with a 5A fuse and therefore he should replace like for like so as not to invalidate the manufacturers guarantee.

Lets hope you didn't do any pat testing then if that's the way you roll :laugh: :devil:.

Never mind the fuse for the time being either 13 or 5 amp it should work. You say you have extended the cable is the extension cable ok? Try putting the plug on the end of the original cable and try the TV. Double check everything, it should be an easy job to make work.

Trying not to go off topic (but is worth mentioning to help the OP), I agree that a fuse should always be replaced like for like. As stated, a TV will be protected internally, so the fuse is to protect the lead/cable as well. Although a TV might be fine with a 3 amp fuse, many manufacturers fit a higher rating fuse to deal with start up surges. If it came with a 5 amp, fit a 5 amp...

The only Panasonic Plasmas that I can remember with a "fixed" mains cable was the GT30 & VT30's - but even with these models, all you had to do was remove a couple of screws to get the little cover off, and there was a small connector inside that would unplug.

If the cable wasn't long enough, you should've run an extension point to behind the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom