1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny plasma connection problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by snowy, Aug 11, 2002.

1. snowy

snowy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just got a panasonic plasma th42pw4b and are having problems connecting a skybox and a dvd player to it.

dvd is a sony 900
    amp is a sony 940
    skybox is panasonic

i have tryed everything, the dvd is working fine running through the amp but the sky will not display a picture unless i remove the s-video from the back of the screen and connect a yellow video lead.

can anyone please help me

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you will have to check with the experts but i was told that the s-video and the composite video use the same thingy inside so they cant be used at the same time ie. one or the other
    if you search i think they have all talked about this
    hopethis helps
    ps. if you want a proper sky/ntl picture cant reconmend the rgb box from js tech
    there is a link to this ? but i cant paste it just search for (panny plasma s-video)
    the guy say`s they cant both be used at the same time

3. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If the Sony 900 has component connections(much better than S Video) I would advise you to hook up the DVD player using these connections and not by going through the amp.
    As for the digibox I would buy a RGB to VGA converter unit from John Sim this unit takes in your RGB scart and switches it to VGA, hook this up to PC input on the rear of th plasma.
    This is the way I have my system hooked up and the pictures are first class.
    Hope this was helpful to you.

4. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    jmack is correct, the Panny plasma cannot accept both composite and S-Video.
    There is an easy solution to this problem, you can purchase a composite-s-video converter for about £10 that does the job perfectly. It a small in-line widget and I use one with my VCR to overcome this problem.

5. ads1

ads1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Not sure if this is the same issue, but for information.

I helped set up a friends panasonic lcd tv this weekend and had the same problem i.e. av3 input was s-video/composite but needed composite lead to work. I found by trial and error that pressing the av3 selector twice switched the av3 indicator to av3s and that now the s-video lead worked on its own. The set then remembered the configuration. I think its just a toggle setting of the switch.

As I say this may not apply to the plasma but I hope it helps.

Andy