1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny plasma connection blues

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tman, Aug 12, 2002.

1. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    As connections problems seem to be the thread of the moment...

I am trying to connect a Tosh SD510e, NTL digibox and Panasonic VCR to my Panasonic TH-42PW4 plasma (silver with RCA board).

I want to connect the component/progressive connection of the Tosh to the Plasma, but after connecting everything up, on the component input of the plasma, I get 'no signal'. If I connect the left/right audio out of the Tosh to the inputs of the plasma, I get audio fine, but no video. I have read the manuals, but am not getting very far. SVideo from the Tosh to the Panny works fine (picture is still very good), but I want component!

I am also trying to connect up the NTL box to the plasma. I bought the Keene syncblaster cable (SCART to VGA), and again on connecting to the PC VGA input and left/right audio in, I can get sound but no picture. I have played around with the settings on the Panny, but again, not much is happening.

I had planned on daisy chaining the NTL box and VCR thorough the SCART > VGA connector. Is this a good idea?

Can anyone shed some light on the settings I need to change to get this lot working. Obviously I want the best picture quality on all inputs.

One final thing, if I add a Playstation to this little setup, which is the best way to add it.

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your component problems are likely to be one of two things:

1) You will probably have to change a setting on the DVD player to output a component signal - check your setup menus.
    2) The Panny can accept two types of component input, one uses five cables (RGBHV) and one uses three (Y-Pr-PB) - check the panny menus to be sure you have it set to the type of components you are trying to connect.

Sorry, don't know about the scart to vga cable.

As far as connecting a playstation, probably best if you get a playstation to S-video cable and use that.

3. jackal2513

jackal2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you dont have to change any settings on the panny for component, But i had teh same problem and it was to do with the dvd settings, i had to play connect it via composite first of all and then make sure my output settings were correct and also 16x9 output. The it plugges straight into component no prob (just ignore the 2 extra connections)

4. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Ok, I will of couse re-check all my settings.

The Tosh as far as I remember has output options for Video/S-Video and RGB. No mention of component, although I would have thought it should be RGB (or is that for the SCART?). Does the Tosh display 'component' only if it detects a component connection?

I am using the standard 3 x phono (Y-Pr-PB) component connections to the plasma. I assume sync would be 'on g' rather than H&V for this connection.

As far as the rest of it goes, I thought it would be automatic

If anyone has any other suggestions I would be grateful, but I will try out some more things tonight, and re-post.

TMan

5. MartinN

MartinN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a different Scart->VGA box but I'm guessing it's similar. Anyway my converter box will only accept an RGB scart signal - so check that the digibox is in RGB mode. [ Bit difficult if you can't see anything :D ]

I've got a completely different DVD but my sony doesn't output scart RGB & component at the same time.

If that is the problem then I would think that it rules out using your video - I don't think VCRs output RGB scart signals (but I could be wrong). My guess is that your only hope with the vcr is to use an s-video connection

Hooking up a plasma can be a pain, although to be fair it's really setting up everything else to cope with the plasma that's the hastle - I ended up grabbing a portable from another room - It allows you to see what your doing - which helps!

Martin