1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny plasma and sky digital

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sarll, Jan 20, 2003.

1. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi all

I've finally got IBC (International Bird Clearance) to complete our home cinema setup with a plasma (budget of around 3.5k)....Hooray

Firstly i am aware of the golden rule - don't trust the picture that you see in superstore shops as they generally aren't setup for optimum picture.

Anyway - at the weekend I took the girlfriend to a local Panasonic shop and they had a 42inch series 4 plasma screen on show connected via a panasonic tuner (no idea of model etc). The picture on skydigital (rgb scart) was frankly pretty rubbish and was beaten hands down by any of the 36" crts on display. I realise that the larger display will highlight any problems with pictures more than a smaller screen - but i can't really justify the extra 2k expense for a worse picture....

After reading these forums i would buy a plasma without the tuner and get one of those JS converterts people praise as well as decent scart cables etc - but will i get a 3k picture???

Would buying the smaller 37" screen improve the picture at all???

DVD picture was fantastic by the way....

Any help appreciated!!!!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well that all depends on the individual.
    I am well pleased with mine and think it was money well spent.
    As you say it is a LOT of money, but you are the only person that can decide if it is worth that much.

The 42 & 37" screens are the same resolution, therefore the 37" screen is sharper and brighter. Try and see both screens side by side to see which you think is better (if you can see the difference).

Mark.

3. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    cheers mark

Out of interest how would you rate Digital broadcasts (presuming you have sky or cable) on your panel compared to a smaller crt??

I notice you own a panny 37" - have you experienced any lip sync problems?

cheers again

4. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my 37" Panny last week.

Picture quality is excellent with Sky Digital using the JSTech convertor box (I use the component version). I was not impressed with the quality on a 42" though - the transmission picture quality is just not up to it!

I can't notice any lip sync problems (and I've really been looking out for it) at all.

5. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Bonzaimaster

Does the JUST mode work with the JS converter? If not, how does the panel display 4:3 broadcasts? How would you compare the sky digital pictures to crt?

Regards

6. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'just' mode does work. However I believe it will only work if you use the RGB-> component converter. The options are more limited if you use RBG->VGA.

The quality of the Sky broadcasts does vary between the channels because Plasma screens seem to highlight the digital artefacts more clearly but on the whole I would say it pretty close to my CRT (but not better).

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    YES! :(
    I have Freeview and on some channels the lip sync is very noticeable to me, but this is not toaly down to the plasma. Lots of the digital channels have lip sync problems and a plasma can just make the delay even larger. I have a few friends that have been round to see the plasma and have not noticed the delay though!

RGB>VGA only has 4:3, 16:9 & zoom
    RGB>Component also has just
    4:3 broadcasts either have black margins down each side or are stretched. Zoom works quiet well but cuts the top and bottom off the picture.

The bigger the screen, the more noticeable the artifacts.
    Going from a 28" CRT to a 32" CRT would also make these more noticeable, so it is not just a plasma problem.