1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny pj quality differences

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by trooper1212, Mar 21, 2002.

1. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    for those of you that have one of the first batch of AE100 projectors, you might be interested in this.

I got one of the first batch (labelled november 2001) and was extremely happy with the picture overall, but it had 3 dead pixels and a dust particle in it. I've just had it replaced with the latest batch to be delivered (labelled february 2002). After a straight swap and a quick mess about in the menus to get it setup the way it was before, there are suprising differences.

The black borders in 4:3 mode have a slight greenish tinge.

around the edge of the image there used to be a black buffer about 2 pixels wide at the top and sides and 4 pixels wide at the bottom. This is now 2 pixels wide on all sides.

The quality of the component input is exactly the same as before, however the s-video input has taken a huge jump in quality, almost to the degree of the jump in moving from composite to s-video.

This may have nothing to do with the two different batches, and my first pj may have been duffer than i thought, but it's interesting none the less.

T.

2. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Trooper, i to have just had my november 2001 changed for a feb 2002 and i have to say there seems a marked improvment in picture quality through my htpc ie contrast and clarity, part of me is saying maybe its because i was without my projector for one night, but then again i am now a proud owner of a semi dead pixel. and while i was watching my first film on this machine (just finished), i found myself not looking at the pixel but saying wow don't that picture look better. what you say about green borders dosen't seem to apply to me although on the very right of the picture the edge(1 pixel) is a light green colour but uniformity seems fairly good so far personally i don't think you will ever get two machines that are the same so i think we will just have to accept that anyhow good luck with your new panny and enjoy.... i know i will.

all the best.............Splice. :D

3. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just curious, are these the European versions or that Japanese versions?

-- Adriano

4. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    both mine were european.

T.

5. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member