1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny/Pio 42"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jonathan, Dec 30, 2002.

1. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having finally got to see these two side by side I have to say that although I thought the Panny was going to be the one for me it didn't float my boat at all. The Panny was showing Shrek and the Pioneer some action yarn both via DVD. The Pioneer was the HDE model, the Panny also had the tuner connected. Viewing the Panny from about 10' away - which would be our viewing distance at home - all the individual pixels (am I right in assuming that is the right term for the indvidual light emitting dots that make up the complete picture? :blush: ) were visible and spoiled the overrall effect for me completely. The Pioneer's pixels were far smaller and therefore there were far more of them making up the whole picture (is this what higher resolution means? :blush: ). So in conclusion, having kind of wanted to like the Panny more (I've had lots of Panasonic products in the past which I have always been more than happy with) allied to the fact that to these eyes is nicer cosmetically, cheaper compared to the the MXE, and easier to find to demo, I feel a little flat. JimmyMc. has recommended looking at the Hitachi which to his eyes blows the Pio/Panny away so my next stop is Sevenoaks' main branch to demo all three head to head.

2. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jonathan..

Remember that I viewed the HDE, not the MXE on the Pioneer front (the HDE looked a bit washed out and 'soft' to my eyes).. I really really want to find someone in this part of the world willing to demo the MXE.. strangely hard to find! I think Pioneer should do something to sort out their channel when it comes to some dealers.. the ones on these forums obviously know what they're talking about but every single one I have called in the last couple of days (most in london) say that I'll be fine looking at the HDE as it's exactly the same except for the tuner!!! - needless to say I put them right..

I can't understand why the better screen isn't demo'd more!

I'm still worried about the banding on the Hitachi - if I can test a cheaper model DVD player with one, like the Philips 963A I'd probably get one if it came up ok. I took my laptop to plug in as well.. as you'd expect it was about as crisp as you can get..

I'm going to persevere though.. sometimes I think sod it, i'll just buy one but then common sense prevails (luckily)..!

Let me know what you think of the Hitachi - maybe you can persuade them to plug in a sub £1000 player?

Cheers, JimmyMc

PS - Strangely, Sevenoaks Hi-Fi said they wouldn't be ordering in anymore Hitachi's.. said it was so they could get rid of the current stock of LGs and other models.. don't know what to make of that.. maybe I'm a bit too cynical..

3. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd definitely need a demo with a cheaper DVD as I've only got a Tosh SD210E. The MXE is listed on Sevenoaks' website as being £3999. Do they expect to sell these to customers "blind" ? Did they say anything about obtaining stock? I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if or when they can show me one!

4. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jonathon,

Are you sure you were 10" away from the panny? I've had the pw5 for about 3 months and I need to be at about 3 or 4 feet before the pixels are even remotely visable. I have good eyesight so that's not the issue, I just can't see how it's possible to see the pixels from 10" away. Are you superman? :)

John.

5. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jonathan..

If you manage to get them to dig out an MXE - let me know and I'd come and take a peek at the same time if it's ok with you!

Cheers, James

6. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James and Jonathon,
    I'm in your area and was going to troll over to Sevenoaks to view the Panny/Pio, so if you arrange a viewing perhaps I could join you?!
    Maybe they'll discount 3 of them!

Simon

7. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jonathan,

Make sure that when you get the demo it's the best that the shop can offer - I have seen demo's of both the Pio and Panny with the composite (lowest quality) input being used for DVDs which totally misses the point . It sounds like the same thing going on at your demo - composite often leads to what's called 'dot crawl' around the edges of objects where the pixels can be seen and lends to an overall fuzziness of the picture.

You should ask to see them with component input (highest quality) to get a true comparison - they are both great panels and neither should show up pixels from the distance you indicate.

Also, consider seeing them exactly as you will have them set up in your home - with the right match of DVD player, through/not through an amp, with/without tuner. These are serious bits of kit and the retailers should be falling over themselves to help you. Just look at the effort Joe from TMF goes to on this very forum if you want an example of good retailing.

Good luck.

8. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy....thanks for your considered advice.
    John.....Superman? The wife certainly thinks so!
    James & Simon.....
    Have just got round to ringing Sevenoaks (5.05pm) and their answerphone kindly informs me that their opening hours are 9.00 - 5.30pm !! Great stuff!! Anyway, have left a message and hopefully they'll ring me back. I think that it's a great idea to meet up for a demo, I always come away and then think of a really pertinent question that I should have asked, so the more the merrier I say, and as Simon points out, they may be a bit more generous with any discount. Bearing in mind tomorrow being a holiday, I won't hear from them until Thurs (2nd) so how would Saturday sound? (Assuming they have the panels we wish to demo on display). Is there anyone else wanting to come along aswell? I don't know about the rules ....are we allowed to enter phone numbers here?

9. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi Jonathan,

I wouldn't recommend posting private phone numbers on a public forum. If you activate your private message facility, the other guys could then contact you privately and arrange your viewing. Hope it goes well :)

Steve

10. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Is there anyone else wanting to come along aswell?

i would love to come along but as i am in central scotland and interested in these two screens could you please post your findings.
    cheers
    tom barr

11. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Jonathan,

If after your subsequent demo you still feel that the lower resolution of the Standard Panny model is the only thing that is letting it down for you, don't forget that the Higher Resolution model in it's black "commercial" guise is available if you shop around. (Costs a bit more than the Standard model mind!)

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

ps: I wouldn't now ever consider going back to a 853 x 480 pixel panel after getting used to my 1366 x 768 Panny TH-50PHW5BX.

12. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Saturday would work for me (or Friday for that matter - sometimes shops won't do demos on Sat).
    I've PM'd James my telephone number - Jonathon you need to update your profile to enable it.

Cheers,

Simon

13. StoneGhost

StoneGhost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Which branch of Sevenoaks Sound and Vision are you all going to? I'm currently trying to decide on Panny or Pioneer perhaps I could join if it's fairly local to me and nobody objects?

regards

14. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all, as I've already said - the more the merrier! The meet up we are trying to arrange is for the main Sevenoaks branch which is a bit of a hike for you, nevertheless you are more than welcome!

15. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jonathan,
    I am also very interested in the outcome of this comparison. I cannot coem to Sevenoaks this Sat., but if for any reason you are going to postpone it, please let me know (any other day will be fine). In any case, please post the results here.

StoneGhost,
    it is a typo. Pioneer web site (goto the FAQ section) confirms that it is a "B" class.

Cheers, Saggio

16. StoneGhost

StoneGhost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

What time are you going to be there? I've just realised I've got a SKY engineer coming round (for the 12th time in 6 months) so depending what time they say they are going to turn up will be the deciding factor.

I don't want to sound too dumb but I guess the main Sevenoaks S&V branch is in Sevenoaks :confused:

Thanks for the info on the MXE Saggio, that is probably the decider on that!!

regards

17. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sense a "Spinal Tap" moment coming on.

(Sorry, no help to this thread.)

18. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sense a "Spinal Tap" moment coming on.

(Sorry, no help to this thread.)

19. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol :) Yeah I actually realised this one earlier but no-one seamed to notice :)

John.

20. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Been in touch with Sevenoaks Hi-fi (main branch in Sevenoaks) and although they do have MXE panels in stock, they do not have any rigged up in the showroom at present. :mad: Apparently there is no space on "the plasma display wall" at the mo and it would appear that it is too much trouble to rig one up specially. They do have both the Panny & the Hitachi hooked up though....Spoke to James this morning and he has been informed that a place in Horsham has the MXE on display & he is going to check to see if they have the others there as well so we can see all 3 side by side.
    Will keep everyone posted..........

21. StoneGhost

StoneGhost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Regarding the MXE, i take it that there's no way that analogue teletext can be viewed on this screen? I have a sky box so i will be able to see digital text but was wondering if there's any way of viewing analogue text?

Regards

22. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever screen I get, I'll have my PC hooked up to it.. I plan to bung in a WinTV card so I'll be able to get Teletext through that..

Other than getting a Teletext VCR (is there such a thing these days? The last one I had, the remote was on a cord.. how long ago?!!)..

JimmyMc

23. andybryant

andybryant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps,

I've been following this thread from Hertfordshire (wrong side of London), and thought I'd drop down & see what my local HiFi shop had to offer. Guess what...

... yes they had the Pioneer 43MXE and Panasonic TH42PW5 both hooked up to the same (£1000 Denon) DVD player in the demo room. The DVD was providing a 525i signal. They sell the MXE in preference over the HDE because of the better PQ, but can get both. They also do the HD Panny, but don't have any in at the moment.

The Panasonic was connected on SVideo, and the Pio on component.

Having seen the Panasonic in a selection of other shops I wasn't expecting much, but both displays were excellent. Perhaps it was the source, the room, or the setup, but I couldn't really fault either.

If asked to differentiate between them, I would say the Panasonic had a slight flicker (like a low monitor refresh rate), where as the Pioneer was rock solid.

Somehow the Panny looked flatter, with fine detail & colours smoothed out slightly. The Pioneer looked sharper, and more 3D (in a scene from Monsters inc looking down a street with trees in autumn).

I am planning to run mine from a HTPC, so would be very interested in how they work driven by a graphics card. I'm assuming that the Pioneer would be a whole lot better given the improved resolution, but I've not found a shop with a PC geared up to drive the plasmas.

Let us know what you think if you get to see them in Horesham.

Andy.

24. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well.. tell us which local store it was man..!!:D

Whereabouts in Hertfordshire was it? I used to see a girl in Boredhamwood (sorry.. Borehamwood ;) )

Is it further out? It's probably about the same distance from Horesham for me.. If you let me know I'll call them both tomorrow..

Cheers, JimmyMc

25. andybryant

andybryant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.audiofile.co.uk/ in Bishop's Stortford. They are only going to have the demo room in a workable state till end of this Saturday. The chap told me that they are planning to disconnect it ready for the sale next weekend.

Andy.

26. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jonathan,
    any news on this Horsham shootout?

27. jonathan

jonathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The latest is that they have the Pio MXE/Panny/Hitachi/Sony all OK to demo. We are just checking to confirm that they are able to demo with a Sky feed as well and then I think we are ready to roll........will keep you posted..........

28. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is this Nexnix who have this plethora of screens:)
    I visited them and they were very helpful.

29. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll bring along a laptop to plug in.. might as well test all of the capabilities!

30. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Andy

If you plan to ue a HCPC, bear in mind the Pioneer has DVI input.