1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny picture improvements

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mcmullanbrush, Aug 10, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panny is connected to my DVD player by an S-Video lead. I am projecting onto curtain blackout lining material.
    I have to say the picture quality looks very good to me.

I was thinking about purchasing a proper screen, and maybe a new DVD player with component outputs. What sort of improvement should I expect and is there another alternative to improve things, without having to spend a fortune:confused:

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Progressive dvd player and component connection will improve more than you can imagine :)

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you JSW

What about one of those pro-v thingies:confused: At 125.00 they seem to be reasonably priced. Would that help the picture also?

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes. I tried mine for the 1st time last night with my 8 foot owl screen using a mates Epson emp51 (i think), as i am still waiting for Pany to arrive. We tried both rgb to svhs converted sky and svhs from my Samsung 709 and with both sources it made a noticeable difference. As has been previously reported it reduced the effects of screen door, made the colours more vibrant and reduced the artifacts in the picture. With Sky as the source the difference it made was like focusing the pj. Our conclusion was that it was well worth the £125 any certainly reduces the requirement of a progreesive scan dvd player. Next time we are going to try it with his Pioneer 717 and see if that improves things further. The only disadvantage we found was that with his 4:3 pj you mo longer have the 16:9 function with the VGA input but this is of course not relevant to the AE100.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried everything, inc progressive component & progressive VGA DVD player (Nintaus).

Without a doubt, IMO, nothing compares to a well set up HTPC.

Once seen, you wolud never go back.

Here's a review I posted some time ago.

AE-100, comparison tests.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The early reports of the AE100 suggested that the SVHS input was terrible.

I own a June model and I think the SVHS quality is good. I also own a Pro-V and see very little difference when using it. Perhaps Panasonic improved the SVHS on latter models.

I've always wondered how the screendoor can be effected by input (given that its an LCD panel issue), but what I think JS may have been referring to is that its more noticeable on a low detailed source (such as a bad encoding)

I second Kramer, the HTPC route offers a different level of performance.

7. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree the Pro v is very good and a good price even if only used for it`s switching capabilaties, However it`s even better with HTPC, I`m more than happy with my Panny and I am getting a 5.1 sound card installed in my PC as I type.
    I would definately say HTPC is the best it`s stunning, but if I didn`t have a PC I wouldn`t pay lots of money out to get one as it`s still great with the Pro v.
    I`ve had lots of time to twiddle about with it now and I find even the Pro v is better depending on how you connect to it,

8. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I dont have the money to go HCPC. I am buying a decent screen and will have only a couple of hundred to spare.
    I was thinking either a pro-v or a DVD player with component out.
    Which of those two would you recommend?

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If you go for the prov then at least it has the ability to improve the picture from sky and video as well.;)

10. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got a quick link for the Prov?

I'm in the same boat, i was using crappy video connection on my panny hehe but i got a very large improvement when moving onto a s-cid connection. Anything else 'cheap' i can do i will -

By the way ...... I have noticed recently, although i get a super picture, even facial close ups ... i get 'lines' appearing when the screen moves ... what is that? like black lines but ONLY when for example a person is walking across the screen. Any ideas?

11. Walter mitty

Walter mitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I've just been trying a ProV with my AE100. As others have said, there's a definite improvement in picture quality, but I was sorry to find that the "JUST" (="justification", presumably) picture format option from the Panasonic is no longer available. This is the setting which gives a 16:9 picture from 4:3 material by stretching the edges of the picture while leaving the centre area undistorted.

I miss it! It's a compromise, of course, but I do find it better than looking at a 4:3 image, which even on a big screen seems rather small after a 16:9 one.

The ProV/AE100 combination gives instead a setting called V-SCAN, which seems much the same as the AE100's ZOOM; that's to say it increases the width of the image to almost the standard 16:9 width and the height to the standard 16:9 height. This crops the top and bottom of the picture and also lowers the definition. For me, at least, it's not as happy a compromise as the old JUST option.

Is there any way around this? I haven't yet experimented at all with the standard ProV settings; is there an alternative setup which will restore the JUST setting?

And does anyone ese feel as I do that not having JUST is a definite lack?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Can't say I miss the just mode : I also have a panasonic 32" widescreen TV and don't miss it either.

14. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Keith,

Thanks for the reply. So, do you watch 4:3 material in 4:3 format, or do you favour the V-SCROLL setting?

Either way, don't you find the necessity of manually changing from one setting to the other a bit of a pain? Couldn't such things be arranged to switch automatically?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I'm using an HTPC rather than the ProV or similar so the panny says in wide480 . For dvd theatertek handles aspect ratio slelection automatically : 4x3 is inset into 16x9 with black bars. For normal TV going through Dscaler you do have to change the aspect ration between 4x3 and 16x9 manually through Dscaler but the actual HTPC is still outputting wide 480.

Its not such a pain though. I certainly wouldn't want to use the just or other distortion modes : the exception being is for gaming where a slight horizontal stretch is unobjectionable.

Watched CSI the other night in 4x3 on the panny I can't say I was annoyed by the vertical padding down the sides.

16. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Keith,

I agree that in theory the JUST mode ought to be completely unacceptable, but I was surprised at how quickly I became used to it and how well my brain filtered out the distortion. Overall, for me, it feels more "right" than an undistorted 4:3 image does.

I'm now pondering the question as to whether or not the improved image quality with the Pro-V is worth losing the JUST mode for.

Incidentally, are you using the Pro-V's built-in tuner?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

17. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but I only use the Panny for DVD. Do you think I should still go for the pro-v:confused:

18. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I still beleive that the prov is a worthwhile improvement on an interlaced dvd player, its obviously much cheaper than a progressive scan dvd player,(at least than a decent one) but i have not compared them on a side by side basis. I see it as a worthwhile purchase untill more Pal progressive scan players become available at a more reasonable cost.:)

19. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers John

I will order one:)

20. johnny

johnny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

With the ProV do you connect it via the VGA output to the PJs VGA input?

For some reason I remember reading on avsforum that you needed a transcoder for connections to the VGA input (such as the audio authority)

I have a sony735 and am thinking of outputing s-video into the ProV and getting an RGB to S-video from ITV digital into the ProV as well. Then a single VGA out into the pJ

Does that make sense?

scratch that, just realised it only has 1 s-video input, back to the drawing board

Cheers

21. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Johnny, even without an s-video connection, I'm seeing a definite improvement in picture quality from my Panasonic digibox; it's connected to the ProV's composite video input via a Scart-phono lead.

And you're quite right: the connection between the ProV and the AE100 is a straightforward VGA-VGA lead; you get a short one with the ProV.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

22. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    No no Bert you misunderstand I'm not using the Pro-V at all I use a digibox into an HTPC using dscaler which also handles dvd via theatertek. I really think that matching the native panel resolution of the projector will give the best results on any digital panel device. My point on replying initially is that I don't see the just mode as being a particularly important option: if anyone else likes it thats fine I can see its benefits (well it keeps my mother in law happy anyway!)

Using an HTPC or even the pro-V via the rgb input disengages the option of using the just mode : its a small price to pay in my book thats my point.

23. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Keith,

Right, sorry for the misunderstanding.

It's a case of "pay your money and take your choice" of course. I'd prefer the improved picture quality and the JUST mode, but it's clearly not an option; I'm not sure yet which one will win.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk