1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PHD8 Input boards and connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Singexpat, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Singexpat

Singexpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to take the plunge and buy a new Panny PHD8 as soon as they become available (I think!)! I just have a query about connection and input board variations - quite a confusing issue for the uninitiated!

I will be using the panel with a Denon 3805 receiver and Denon 3910 DVD player and a local (Singapore) digital cable set top box. My initial thoughts were to connect:

(a) the digital set top box to the 3805, then use the 3805's "monitor out" terminal to to the Panny using a component video cable;

(b) the Denon 3910 direct to the Panny using HDMI (and using the Denon to scale up and output the image at 720p).

If I were to go with the above connections I assume I would need to buy two optional input boards for the PHD8: ie. component and HDMI - IS THIS CORRECT?

I think the alternative connection possibilitities would be to:

(a) to connect straight to the panel using component rather than HDMI; or

(b) to the 3805 using component and then use the same "monitor out" connection as for the digital cable thus meaning only one cable to the Panny and one additional input board - less cost!)

Does anyone have any views about what is likely to get the best results with this set-up ie. component vs HDMI, and direct to the panel vs through the receiver?

I would appreciate your thoughts!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You don't need a component board, you just need the right cable, to connect component to the 'VGA' port, which can be switched in the menu to be component rather than RGB. Apart from that money saving bit, your 1st idea is probably the best achievable connection. Current panasonics are good on analogue though, the difference between HDMI and component is not likely to be life-changing.

3. Singexpat

Singexpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW. So just to clarify - I can just use a component video to VGA cable and input through the Panny's VGA port (provided I make the necessary menu selections)?

I presume that this will give exactly the same PQ as with a traditional component connection into an optional component board on the panny?

I have read some opinions that with these Pansonic displays a component connection actually produces better results with DVD players than HDMI - does anyone have any views on this?

(If this were the case I could avoid the need to buy any optional boards at all for the Panny as I could just use the one component - VGA connection from the Denon receiver for both the DVD and digital cable sources)