1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny Pe50 or PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by craigybaby, May 30, 2005.

1. craigybaby

craigybaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help.
    I need serious help.Don't we all.
    My viewing distance for bum to panel will be about 8 foot.
    If I had the soon new to be Pv500 at 42" would the extra resolution give me
    an acceptable picture( i.e grain or not).Or would I be better of halving my Av
    bill and going with the acclaimed Pe50 Panny.
    Have read so many great answers form Hornydragon etc and would love
    some perspective on my dilemma(pardon the pun).

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    8 feet is close for a 42 so i think the extra res of the PV500 will be worth it, perhaps consider the 37PV500 as an intermediate for an SD screen 12 feet is what i would reconmend but you can get closer to the higher res versions, suggest a trip to comet etc with tape measure!

3. craigybaby

craigybaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson: Thanks hornyD,
    I like my home cinema. Kef 2005.2 , Loewe Xelos 32" 100Hz, Yamaha DSP AX640SE But with only a Yamaha DVD s796 and Sky+ as the image inputs am I going to appreciate the HD capabilties for the PV model although sky will no doubt want a hefty subscription initially for their HD channels and my DVD outputs are limited to scart ,although there is an S video output.
    So being that I am a mere mortal and enjoy DVD and the movie channels for the now is the PV500 going to float my boat.

4. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    craigybaby

I have a recently purchased 37PE50B (for the bedroom) and am in the process of getting a 42PV500 (for the lounge).

Why am I going for the PV500 for the lounge?
    1) I think it edges it on looks (IMHO)
    2) HD! with the advent of Sky HD, HD gaming and HD DVD's best to be future proofed to some extent.
    3) the sound is better (IMHO)
    4) higher resolution - higher perceived detail.

The reason for the post is that I'm not gonna 'build one up against the other because I own one scenario'. But to say I have seen the PV500 and it is an exceptional screen. But so is the PE50B, we are talking small margins here in my opinion. Is it worth the extra? Well depends on what you want. If you are not bothered about 1) to 4) why spend the extra?
    I am so i'm going for PV500 instead of another PE50B.

DVD on the PE50B is class from whether you sit, and freeview is much better than I expected. I don't see any grain on the screen. But I must admit i don't spend my time looking for imperfections. If you do you'll find them on any screen.

If the PV500 had not come along I think alot more people would be praising the PE50B. That's technology I guess.

Why not check a PE50B out with a sky and DVD source close up and see what you think. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. There are some killer deals about on the PE50B (around 1.4k - even less 1.1k if you go for the PA50 without the DVB).

Hope this helps. But you must get some Demo's.

5. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Craig, why not go for the 37"?

The "high res" will make little or no difference until you have a high def picture fed to it.

6. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I recently saw both PE50 and PV500 42" side by side at the Brighton Panasonic shop. The test match was on both and both were demonstrated with analougue and free view. The PE50 had the better picture at that moment in time. Another guy in the shop also thought the same. I didn't get to see a DVD comparison and i don't know whether all connections were identical.

Geoff.

7. craigybaby

craigybaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I joined av forum looking for some help and wow I got it.
    Cheers guys you came up trumps.I had no idea that a Pa50 was with no tuner
    so I can use my Sky + obviously and save some more wonga.

Shall search for the 37" Pa50 and finally get something hanging on my wall.
    :smashin:

8. bobby boyo

bobby boyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig,

I've read lots on the various threads regarding the impressive PQ on the Panasonic panels, and I'm in a similar position to you at the moment. Not sure at the moment on whether to go for SD or HD panel (if my budget stretches that far!), but would be interested on PA units as I've got Sky+. Please post me the best price you find for the 37"PA50.

Thanks

Bob

9. Swa

Swa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Bob, Craig,

Have you decided yet? I am also not sure whether to go for SD or HD. I do not really care about HD because it will still take some time before that's mainstream. PAL dvd quality is for me very important. I have a denon 2910 with hdmi but still not convinced why I should go for the pv500. The PQ of the PA50 seems to be equal to the pv500. I think the price difference is to big just for HD.

10. bobby boyo

bobby boyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Swa,

I recently saw both a PE50 and a PV500 in a local Panasonic showroom. The PV500 definitley had a better Freeview picture, but they hadn't connected it to a HD source. The image was crsiper and there was more depth of colour.
    Looking at other recent posts and anyone who's bought a PV seems to rave about them. I now need to see the PV500 with HD.

I want to wall mount whatever I choose, but one thing I noticed was the wall mounted PV500 they had stood a distance off the wall (I've noticed other posts from Mal... who has resorted to removing half the wall above his fireplace but I'm no DIY expert!!!!).

Still debating :rolleyes:

Bob

11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    It stands off 14cm. I have just removed the plasterbard so I count mount it on solid brick, also the wires re going behind there.

12. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't see how the SKY picture could be much better on my 37PV500. Whichever one you go for you will be very happy. The only tiny negatives I could find (on the PV500) are very very slight banding on graduated (moving) backgrounds and on slow transitions from white screen to black, and very very occasionally the slight background level changes that FlyingPig keeps banging on about (and this is with crap Scarts, no component cables, no DVE yet, and no ISF yet). Really nothing to write home about - completely invisible to normal people, and not something that even a stickler like me can focus on, because the picture is so good you just watch the programme.