1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PE30 vs Hitachi 42 5200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kevducky, Nov 13, 2004.

1. kevducky

kevducky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am totally confused in trying to decide on which one to buy. The Hitachi has had rave write ups, but have heard that the Panny is also a good deal at £2100 with stand etc.

Can anyone help me. Should I be worried that the resolution on the panny is only 853x480 against hitacho 1024x 1024. Or is contrast more important.

also is the Vierra HD compatible

Thank for the help :confused:

2. kevducky

kevducky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help!!- can anyone answer, having to make my decision today.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There is a shadow hanging over Viera HD compatibility, 720p is not supported. But the the reverse is true for the hitachi, it supports 1080i by junking 15% or so of the picture. Hard choices, I would buy neither myself.

4. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen them both , and like yourself are inm the process of buying a plasma at the moment , The panny is good but I have just plumbed for the Hitatchi 42pd5300 the from the 42pd5200 is you get a media box with the 5300, so just one lead up to the screen.

Both great pictures , both good choice , I have read that the 42pd5300 is excellant when a progressive scan input from a DVD is attatched. The built in tuner and RGB inputs run close to the performance of the higher quality inputs with just a little more dot-crawl on brightly contrasting areas.
    Overall it seems the Hitatchi betters neither Panny or pio in their primary attributes but the 42pd5300 offers a slice of the best of both at a far more appealing price!!!

Also what are your inputs ? if your thinking of a PC then the 1024 x 1024 Hitachi might be the better option , The panny might have better inputs for what you want to view on your plasma screen.

Yorkie

5. kevducky

kevducky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All i am looking for is to watch telly, play DVDs, have sky digital. I reserved my panny PE30 today from J Lewis for £2099 inc DVD and stand, thanks to the Welyn Garden City advice in another thread. Having 2nd thoughts now thoufgh due to teh HD non compatbility.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nothing's perfect at the kind of money we are talking about, unless you are prepared to put some work in. The er, yawn, PW6 panel only version of the viera is HD compatible up to it's eyeballs, no picture cropping, 720p and 1080i compatible. It's just not a straight TV, but it strikes me if you have sky you don't really need another TV tuner, or am I missing something? Both the models you've looked at are just tellys, stick them on a table and away you go, but are limited cos they are consumer products for Joe Punter who knows no better. 99% of UK population neither knows nor cares about analogue swtch off, HDTV, or anything like it. My wife doesn't and she has to put up with me! Your call mate, compromise or not. You can have it all, you just have to work at it a bit. Got a surround sound of any sort? Are you wall or table mounting? How much does the appearance of the set matter to you when turned off?

7. kevducky

kevducky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wife won't have wall mountable, so must have a stand. I alsready have the surround sound and yes as I have sky digital, not sure if the freeview is needed apart from summer when I cancel Sky. Even then of course I can still receive most freeview pictures. So, what do I need:

Excellent picture quality, reliabilty, good looks and possibly future proofing. Panny just seemed a bargin at £2099 as I need a stand and DVD recorder

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The panel only model would do you, the PW6 or 7, with a desk stand, it'll be about £1700. Start off with a scart video board, check out the board sponsors, they will sort you out with a deal with all you need, and some setup help too I should think.

9. elliot_01

elliot_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit confused with '720p' and '1080i'. I'm assuming you are referring to pixel resolutions. Are these 720x720 and 1080x1080 respectively? Or what? :lease:

I am more confused as the av-sales website here claims the PW6 is only 852x480 resolution. Is it wrong? (it doesn't appear to be on Panasonic's website any longer).

Thanks

10. kevducky

kevducky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit that I am getting a little confused. Not your fault MAW, just me as I am thick. I want something that is as simple as possible and good value. Got a phonecall from a shop this morning. When I told them the deal with JL, they just told me to bite their hand off as that price was nearly cost . So the Panny 30 is back in the lead :D

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The panasonic resolution is correct, it downscales all higher resolution inputs to this. The video resolutions are quoted as vertical pixel counts, they are 16:9 format, so 720p=1280x720, 1080i = 1920x1080. The viera simply gives a 'out of range' error with 720p, the Hitachi crops a 1080i image to 1024, and corespondingly crops the horizontal size to make it the right aspect ratio, therefore ditching around 15% of the image.

Kev, not to worry, it is all fairly confusing. The 2 screens you are considering are a fair stab at making it simple. They both have flaws, but then find me a product with none. Both you could be up and running with inside an hour. The PW6 will take you longer, and many many people resort to professional help. I make a living out of doing this, and most of my clients are pretty bright people, they just haven't the time to learn it all, just like I get a fund manager to manage my pension money, or for that matter a barber to cut my hair! To get the ultimate, it is necessary to employ help for most people. If you are more easily satisfied, and just want a blooming great TV to watch sky and your favourite films on, I'm quite sure either of these will fit the bill. Confusing you was at the bottom of my list, you asked a question and it is not a simple one I'm afraid.

12. elliot_01

elliot_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So let's just get this straight, the Panny Viera PE30 and the PW6 are both 852x480?

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes they are, 37" or 42", no difference. Panny make a high res panel, the 42PHD7, which is 1024x768. If you can run to it, it might be the best 42" plasma screen on the market. The only 1 to compare it with it the Pioneer PDP43MXE1, which is fairly gorgeous too, but possibly not as future proof as the 3rd party video card made to give it HDCP compliance for digital copy protcted sources (many modern DVD players) has been promised for most of the 21st century, but not yet appeared! This does not stop you connecting with conventional analogue sources, and IMHO is not particularly the worse for it.