1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny PD30 and DVD Recorder for RGB to COmponent conversion

Discussion in 'TVs' started by GadgetObsessed, Jan 5, 2005.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Because of the problems with the RGB inputs on the Panny PD30 I'm currently using the S-Video output on my DVD and Sky+ box.

I'm considering getting a Panny DVD recorder to convert the RGB output from Sky+ to the component output of the DVD recorder itself.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this with the PD30 and if so if there was a noticeable improvement in PQ.

I know at least one person who has tried this using a Toshiba RDX32 DVD recorder without much success (CLH) so I was wondering if I'd get better results with one of the Panny range. Probably the E65 for £230 from richer sounds.)

(Pioneer dvd recorders don't have component output and the JVCs don't have RGB input so that rules them out.)

2. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a 36PD30 and got an E65 recorder bundled with it (connected with Mark Grant component cable - see cable section of these forums - and a THOR SCART, which now only carries the sound).

I also have ntl digital cable STB, which routes to the PD30 via the E65.

When I switch on the E65 (the PD30 recognises the component input, or you can change using the blue fastext key) the picture is better (sharper, clearer and better black level - the latter probably due to the cables), and the horizontal interference lines I get using RGB when changing channels on the ntl box are not present... :)

So, yes, in my view, worth it.

However, the E65 can also do progressive, and this does not work at all with the PD30(picture zooms in, gets a blue-ish tinge, geometry goes awry). And it flickers... Well, the instruction book does say it wouldn't work, but... :mad:

When I first demo'd the PD30, the dealer used a Pioneer DVD Player with prog scan, and the picture was superb (one of the reasons I bought the PD30).

I don't know anyone else who has a progressive-scan DVD player, so haven't been able to check if it is a Panny-software clash thing, or just the PD30.

But, I still reccommend using the component inputs, despite my frustrations that I cannot use progressive!