1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny or Samsung

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sonynut, Nov 28, 2004.

1. sonynut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    going to buy my first recorder in the next few days and its going to be a panasonic e55 or a samsung dvdr100 as im buying it mail order.found plenty of reviews for the panny seems a decent machine if a little long in the tooth.cant find much info on the samsung though but it looks good reading the specs, any opinions on the above 2 would be much appreciated before i take the plunge.when i was looking for a 32 inch tv got some good advice from this forum and bought a sony kv32fx which im delighted with so hoping for the same outcome with the dvd recorder.thanks in advance
  2. Rasczak

Distinguished Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    As you would expect there are pros and cons of each machine. The first thing to note is that the Samsung is based on the Panasonic E50 - the model prior to the E55. Thus it's MPEG encoding, whilst excellent, isn't quite as good as the E55. Secondly note that whilst the Samsung has Flexible Record it can only be used by setting the Timer (the same limitation as the Panasonic E20 had). Thirdly the connectivity on the Samsung isn't as good as the E55 as there is no component outputs: not an issue at the moment as your TV doesn't support them, but when you upgrade your next screen probably will.

In the Samsung's favour it has DVD-RW support - both Video and VR mode - much like the JVC range. And coming from the Panasonic line, albeit last years model, it is an excellent DVD recorder. The R100 also has iLink input - which is useful if you ever consider a Digital camcorder (you would have to buy the more expensive E65 to get this on Panasonic).