panny or kodak?

Captain Beaky

Novice Member
ive been looking at compact 10x optical cameras and have come down to a choice between 2 : the dual lense kodak v610, and the panasonic tz1. only thing is now im stuck making a decision between the 2 - the kodak LOOKS great, has bluetooth and a nice panoramic mode, but is expensive and doesnt actually offer the full x10 zoom range (mismatch in focal lenghts of the 2 lenses). the panasonic is true x10 zoom, has image optimisation and appears to take higher quality pictures, but is a lot chunkier and lacks the bluetooth of the kodak.

can anyone help me make a choice? anyone have any practical experience of either of these cameras? any help would be appreciated!

barongreenback

Novice Member
Can't offer an objective opinion as I've only seen the Kodak in use, but it really is a fabulous bit of kit. I'm considering investing in one myself for a new P&S (I have an old Kodak 4mp).

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Captain Beaky said:
ive been looking at compact 10x optical cameras and have come down to a choice between 2 : the dual lense kodak v610, and the panasonic tz1. only thing is now im stuck making a decision between the 2 - the kodak LOOKS great, has bluetooth and a nice panoramic mode, but is expensive and doesnt actually offer the full x10 zoom range (mismatch in focal lenghts of the 2 lenses). the panasonic is true x10 zoom, has image optimisation and appears to take higher quality pictures, but is a lot chunkier and lacks the bluetooth of the kodak.

can anyone help me make a choice? anyone have any practical experience of either of these cameras? any help would be appreciated!
Personally I'd go with the Panasonic...the Leica-designed "Lumix" lens gets favourable reviews and I think it's probably a better built camera.

Chunder

Novice Member
Personally, I think that for a digital camera bluetooth is a bit of a gimmick.
If you're shooting at full quality, the camera will generate images that are (easily) several megabytes in size - the transfer rate via bluetooth is low enough to mean that it will probably take a more than a minute or two to download a 4MB image (guesstimating and extrapolating here, based on my 2megapixel cameraphone where the images are routinely 600KB, and not exactly wonderful quality).

If you're in a situation where you have a bluetooth-enabled laptop, and can download as you go, then perhaps it isn't an issue... but I'm pretty certain that it's a lot less bother, and a lot cheaper, and a *lot* quicker, to transfer images from camera to computer via a memory card reader.

I have no experience with these two cameras, but some things that I'd look at when buying one (things that we've discovered in hindsight after getting my wife a Fuji as an almost-impulse purchase, with little investigation or testing) :
1) How fast does it start up? Can you switch on and shoot in a short space of time, or will you miss shots unless you have it on all the time?
2) How easy is it to switch between "shoot" and "playback"?
3) How fast is the change of zoom from minimum to maximum, and vice versa?
4) How fast is the autofocus - in bright conditions, normal lighting, and low-level lighting? Also, how accurate is it - can you tell easily when it's focussed on the right thing?
5) Is the colour reproduction accurate? What about when the flash is on? Does it leave blue fringing around bright white objects (e.g. a wedding dress)?
6) How easy is it to switch the flash on or off?
7) When changing the batteries or memory card, does the camera lose the image quality settings, or the date/time?
8) What memory cards does it take, how available are they, and how much do they cost?

Apologies if you've already covered these, or they're really obvious, but the Finepix A300 falls foul of *EVERY SINGLE ONE* of these points, which makes it an inordinately frustrating camera to use - although when it gets it right it can take a damn good picture :p

Hope that some of this is useful! (Uh, the upshot is that maybe you should try them side-by-side if possible, or maybe buy one, test it, then take it back for a refund or swapsie within your 14 days grace period...)

Chunder

Novice Member
Just done some digging - presume you're seen this and this? Some of the discussions are interesting...

Kodak: sleek, no sticking out lens, two lenses for different circumstances (clever, but they're not really great lenses...), bigger LCD

Panasonic: better lens (esp. low light), image stabilisation

If it was me, I'd end up using a camera like this in quick snapshot situations where I want the camera to respond and shoot quickly. I think that the Panasonic will achieve this better as the IS will help massively, and the wider lens (larger aperture = lower f. number) will let more light in.

Horses for courses. What will it be used for?

Captain Beaky

Novice Member
great advice =- on the basis of which ive plumbed for the panasonic. and managed to find a great deal on it. jessops online are selling the silver one for £225, with free delivery and a free samsung photoprinter (which will go straight on ebay as ive already got a decent printer). oddly enough the black version of it is still £299, and the silver version in their high street shop is £299, so im glad ive got in there now, in case its a price glitch or something.

thanks again everyone!