1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny or Hitachi???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dapex, Mar 13, 2004.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all, I am just thining about buying a plasma, but I am slightly unsure as to which one to get. I like the panny and everyone keeps raving about it and it appears to be possible to get it for about £2600, with wall mount at the mo.

However, I am also impressed with the higher screen res of the hitachi, I keep reading about hi-def TV coming soonish, i also have an xbox which can do hdtv.

To put it bluntly, is the higher res more important that the contrast? What would you lot choose with a budget of about £2500

P.S. Does anyone know of any decent software fro drawing my living room etc to scale,??

Dave

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    dapex

HD TV covers a range of possibilities up to and including 1920x1080P (for now).

If your looking at the 852x480P Panasonic and the 1024x1024i Hitachi both of these units will have to down convert any signals above 480 lines for the Panasonic and 512 for the Hitachi.

Both units do a fairly good job of down converting HD signals - though personally I much prefer the Panasonic SD unit over the Hitachi; that said if I had the extra budget I'd be keener still on a 1024x768P Pioneer MXE or 1024x768P Panasonic HD unit.

Best regards

Joe

PS AutoDesk QuickCAD 8.0 See http://estore.autodesk.com/dr/v2/ec...0023&xid=23288&DSP=&CUR=826&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

3. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I'd agree with Joe.

I had the 42PD3000 for about 10 days before sending it back, I just could not get away with it. This is going back to last June/July time. I had problems getting any sort of acceptable display, for me anyway. My main issues were to the fact that it had appalling preset image functions with no ability to alter the presets. It only had the ablility to alter one of the functions (favourite) and to be honest I found the reds to be more orange, the blacks to be more of a speckled grey and the wife found the buzzing to be too intrusive at normal volume levels. I was running Marantz DVD and NTL Digital (Pace 4000) both via separate RGB inputs.

I then went for a Panasonic PW5 and have been more than happy with this. Using a JS Tech RGB/VGA2 converter I have found the image to be absolutely spot on. The wife loves it which is the big kicker as she hated the Hitachi.

Dont be too involved with resolution, especially with Sky/Cable etc. If you can, see for yourself. When I was looking around dealers I had the same problem as most people. I was limited to the big high street sellers and like everyone els,e almost all of the displays looked crap thanks to a generic looped through RF feed. But to my mind the Panasonic made the best of that over all the panels, so therefore I assumed that it would also make the best of a decent feed, which I knew I could provide. At the time the 42PD3000 had just arrived on the scene and was getting rave reviews so I went for that unseen (stupid I know).

There are a lot of very happy Hitachi owners on here and a lot of very happy Panasonic owners and in now way do I want to start any sort of flame war. All I can do is say that I preferred the Panasonic over the Hitachi. But I have a list of reasons.

Also the fact that I have managed to get a PW5B, RCA terminal board and the lovely stand for a total of 2k makes it even better!

4. alfa166

alfa166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave

Go and look for yourself. I went to Nexnix with a firm view that I was going to buy a Panasonic. They have the Pioneer, Fujitsu, Panasonic and Hitachi running the same signal all next to each other. To be honest the PQ on all were good.

I walked away with PD5000 Hitachi. I won't go into all the reasons why only to say it is a personal thing so go and have a look.

Now I have it home and hooked up, it is even better than in the showroom. The PQ is sublime and I am not running any fancy gear just a straight scart lead off the back of my 3 year old Onkyo TX DS595 receiver.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    For fairly obvious reasons, I've never been to Nexnix, but their ration of Hitachi to panasonic sales seems to defy every other plasma showroom I have knowlege of, which is more than a few. I am frankly astonished, not that some people do prefer the hitachi, fair play, it's a free country, but that so many of Nexnix's customers do. At say Richer, you have very little choice in the price range, I'd therefore expect the average Richer customer to come away with a well priced Hitachi, but what do nexnix do to attain this position? Do they have a secret to make the Hitachi look good to more people, or is their Panasonic bad? Does it flicker? Colour balance wrong? Perhaps I should visit...

6. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search for room arranger, its freeware and should do the job.

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Martin, I've been to nexnix and their Panny looked very good and seemed well fed and setup properly...from what they told me, quite a few people love the Panny, but don't like it for use with a PC due to the low res...Maybe this is why???

I thought the Panny was the best on show, but I am biased :)

JJ

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The Hitachi is little better with a PC, no native res. I recommend Pioneer MXE or HD panny to all PC users. Wonder why they don't.

9. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Probs cost...the Hitachi is still quite a bit cheaper than the MXE or PHD...

JJ

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It'd be interesting to know just how many people actually use a PC with their plasma, and how many have see what say 1280x720 looks like on a 'SD' plasma. Not much different to alis IMHO, and for the very limited use made of this facility, why compromise other points? We do a bit of surfing on the VHA from time to time, it's fine for that. No use for a big spreadsheet admittedly, but I have another instrument for that...

11. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Totally agree - My VGA input is used for RGB2VGA anyhow...

12. alfa166

alfa166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW - You may be interested to know that with my 'joe public' eyes I thought that at Nexnix the Panasonic had a slightly better picture than the Hitachi on a Sky feed. No difference with DVD.

So why buy the Hitachi? To me the PQ difference was negligible, it was a better price and Hitachi's latest offering is streets ahead on styling.

But then I, like the majority, am not a techi - just an interior designer, so my priorities are perhaps different.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ah, my mistake then, I thought most at least here were pretty techy. My clients are hardly ever techy, they just want it to look good both on and off, and be easy to work. And when things go wrong, they want it put right. I can at least promise that with Panasonic, and in any case they rarely go wrong. The curent crop of Hitachi problems I find pretty frightening. It'd bankrupt me if I'd sold them.

14. alfa166

alfa166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the reliability thing. Buying the Hitachi is a risk. But I think life without risk is very dull.

Having said that I have my own retail business and agree with your stance - Buying something just because you like it is not good business sense.

However on a personal note being 'sensible' can mean you miss out on the fun. A good example is that 3 years ago I decided to buy a new car, it was going to be a BMW or Merc, ended up with an Alfa. All the 'people in the know' said I was crazy. For the past three years I have had the very best motoring experience - reliable, cheap to run, exciting etc etc.

We will have to see if the Hitachi performs the same way. If it breaks I will let you know.

All the best

Liz

15. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Prior to buying my plasma last year, I'd been reading on these forums for a good 6 months prior to that so knew all about the Panny, Pio and Hitachi and the fact that, at the time, very few people seemed to have the Hitachi - in fact, I was more than a little put off with the threads about ALIS screens.

I then went to demo the screens which I did at AV dealers where the screens were properly setup. I'd describe myself as pretty techy with around 8 years in the software industry and, after reading all the reviews and doing all the demos, I came away with a Hitachi 42PD3000.

Why? Because at the time, I personally thought that the Hitachi had the edge on picture quality over the Panny 5 series (which I could see the flicker on as well) and the quality looked as good as the Pio 433HDE which was a lot more expensive. I could have gone for a 433MXE but the setup had to be as wife friendly as possible so the fact the Hitachi had a tuner was a bonus.

Overall, I have no regrets with my choice and still think to Hitachi offers excellent picture quality. I do have the problem with the 'grey blob' in the centre of the screen but only noticed this 2 weeks ago having had the screen since last July. I've also had a problem with buzzing but this has been solved with a replacement transformer.

What would I get if was buying now - the Pio 434.

John

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Flicker is an issue with Panasonic. It's the main reason for having to choose something else. Mr Alfa, there are risk free choices in your kind of car that are still fun, I own an Impreza. I can't think of a plasma to equate it to, and as an inveterate risk taker, I'd agree that life is dull without it. But I couldn't chance my latest risk, starting a business, on something that seems likely to disappoint in terms of reliability and backup. I think the alfa may be a good example there, they are great while they're going well. It must be hell being an alfa dealer when you get a rough one, which does happen. You might be a respectable business, but without wholehearted backup from the manufacturer life is tough.

17. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    MAW,
    I think Mr Alfa may indeed be Miss/Mrs Alfa!
    Liz doesn't sound very masculine, but I could be wrong!:p

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    :rotfl: Missed that.

19. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A similar sentiment from myself.
    After much browsing reading and web searching I have narrowed my search down to the PW6 or the Hitachi PD5000.

I am infuriated by Panasonics connectivity policy on the PW6. I know what kit I have NOW but not what I MIGHT have in 5 years so I want ALL the options as part of the package.

Hitachi can do that at £2500 why can't Panasonic? How available will those terminal boards be in a few years time? Will HDMI become standard on all new screens and leave me with a 'pup'?

I agree with peoples comments on being able to see these displays being properly represented.

The only screen that has really blown me away with its quality in a shop has been the Pioneer 434.

That would be my choice if I had the cash but an extra £1,500 is a BIG step for a marginal improvement.

Buy now or wait six months for spec to rise and price to drop?

The eternal question I know but I can't help but feel there will be some big changes this year.

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    woodgaz

Most of the PWD6 and PHD6 we supply have NO or ONE (DVI) board fitted - the HD15 socket will accept RGB or YUV and many of our customers now find it more appealing and flexible to use an External Switch (Zektor, Kramer, AutoPATCH) an AV Receiver (Pioneer, Denon, Rotel etc) or External Scaler (Lumagen, iScan Extron).

If you have a Digital video source you can use the DVI card - which works with DVI and HDMI sources using an appropriate cable.

I have a Pioneer PDP-504HDE we use as our main TV and I must say I cant see what all the fuss is about regarding having to have a Media Box with lots of inputs - once you have a decent AV Receiver, Scaler or Video switch you simply end up with about three places to switch video and two end up being redundant.

I think Panasonics 'Plug and Play' cards are by far the best option - saves you having to buy a load of input sockets and circuitry that are usually redundant - using an extra switch or converter is far more future proof than loads of today's analogue video inputs - we now supply Gefen DVI switches and hubs to customers who have or expect to have multiple DVI and HDMI Digital inputs in the near future (how many Displays or projectors have more than one DVI or HDMI input?)

A little planning and knowledge now will keep you right regarding current and future connectivity - for me the real question is sticking with an 852x480 display or going for the True (non ALIS) 1024x768 which will be a better match to the HD sources that are now on the close horizon.

Best regards

Joe

21. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Joe.
    I am not TOO concerned about the HDTV thing at this stage. I have a pretty basic setup compared to most of the people that post on here. A Pioneer all in one I bought 3 years ago that has served very well and I see no reason why it shouldnt continue to so so. Also a Panasonic S-VHS video, very rarely used.

I currently have a 28" widescreen Toshiba and basically want a BIG screen - on the wall. Space is at a premium and the corner my TV and gear takes up could be much better utilised.
    I want a screen with a great picture (and I am led to believe that is the Panny) if it will display these HDTV or HDMI pics with a slightly softened pic I can live with that.

I want crisp sharp DVDs though - that is what I watch most, and I want it to be as futureproof as poss. £2500 for a telly is still a LOT of cash.
    Will Panasonic bring out a HDMI board for the PW6?
    I doubt it if they have a replacement screen with it built in coming out in April....
    Would an HDMI signal through a DVI card give the same quality as a dedicated HDMI?

Also, if there is a new Panny coming out perhaps there will be deals on PW6s very soon? I have noticed suppliers sharpening their pencils in the last month. Competition from other retailers or knowledge that a new model is out soon and they have to shift existing stocks?

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    HDMI refers only to the shape of the plug, and it's ability to carry audio signals. The video information is the same as DVI, no need for a monitor to have an HDMI plug as it doesn't do audio, well not digital audio anyway. In fact not audio as we like to know it. Yes England expects (and Scotland too I daresay) a new panel from Panasonic in the forseeable future. Exactly when is still a job for mystic meg, but Q2 is likely. Price slashing has already reached epidemic proportions, what more do you want? Be paid to have one? We are now looking at £2300 or so, see the sticky above.

23. woodgaz

woodgaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers MAW,

I'm still in info collection mode as I'm sure is apparent.
    If you are going to pay me to have one then it would be rude of me not to take you up on the generous offer (got an ex display model you want shot of do you?)
    In the short term I had decided that £2500 was my sensible budget for this (much as I love the Pio 434) and that would include a wall mount and any extra terminal boards, cables etc.
    So yes, maybe the time has come to dust off my wallet.

Nexnix have it for £2340 with all that lot and that is with the S-Video connection needed for my now antiquated DVD system (I can almost hear the weeping from the afficionados)

One final question before I splurge - is there a diff between the PW6, PW6B and PW6BX or are they all the same?

Thx

24. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    woodgaz

Panasonic 7 Series - we'll see an evolutionary range in September; I'm not expecting anything revolutionary!

HDMI vs. DVI - as Martin says if its for video there is no quality difference; though worth noting HDMI should drive over longer cable runs without signal regeneration and HDMI usually includes HDCP encryption which is not always the case with DVI.

Panasonic PWD6 - yes the 852x480 display will down convert and display most HDTV signals.

The two models you should be considering are:

TH-42PWD6BX - Charcoal
    TH-42PW6B - Silver

The Charcoal display can be supplied with no video boards or any combination of three video boards as per your system connectivity.

The Silver Display is normally supplied with a SCART board and again you specify whatever else you require.

Do be aware that the products listed above are supplied to dealers by Panasonic UK who provide a 12 month In home/On site warranty. Any imported (NON BX) models don't have the In Home/On Site warranty.

Pricing - these products are the most discounted products on the market; the suppliers you have mentioned are making about £100 selling one of these units; not much room for further discounts.

Best regards

Joe