Panny or Hitachi...down to 2 models?

B

Bandittto

Having read through these forums extensively (and having excellent responses to some previous 'dumb newbie posts' I am down to a choice of 2 screens....

Panasonic TH-42PA20
Hitachi 42PD5000

I will be using it with the Sony DAVSC5 home cinema bundle and the obligatory Sky+

I note that the primary differences between the 2 (apart from the £8 difference!) are the resoloution and contrast.

The panny is The Hitachi is
852x480 1024x1024.
4000:1 1000:1

Which is the better compromise and why? Go on techies....pummle me with some tla's.....

Go and look carefully at both sets before you buy, ultimately only you can make the choice there are pros and cons to each. But if it's any help (and I don't suppose it is) I had a 42pd3000 which I returned because of issues with picture quality and now have a 42pa20 on order.

Banditto, do you mind me asking you why the Fujitsu HA30 is not on your list? Was it considered?

Thanks

Simply because my reseach has been conducted by reading these forums...and I have seen little on the Fujitsu HA30 ....ignorance also.

Elvis
Im thought your problem was with the clouding issue & not the actual PQ (only dark scenes)
I have the 42pd3000 & would say the PQ is excellent as I haven't got the clouding issue on my panel, just the buzzing

Regards
Cag

What does the res and contrast actually mean in terms of PQ from a DVD or Sky+ source....?

Whilst I understand it is best to go and look at the 2 models side by side with identical setups...the practicality is that this is never possible....especially in the Portsmouth area....its either Southampton, Guilford or Brighton...

I can't seem to find a shop with both in.....

Cag,

You are right, without the clouding I would have been happy. But the 'grey blobs of doom' did affect the picture, so I regard them as a PQ issue. I think that without the blob problem the Hitachi is a pretty good screen.

erm... apart from the buzzing obviously.

...and the lousy service from Hitachi. :)

Banditto

I to have been considering the Hitachi, but after seeing it today in RS in Holborn have decided against it. Picture was very grainy with camera pans (via DVD) and on light screen shots, there was lots of evidence of image burn in from what I guess must have been the menu. Very dissapointing as I really liked the look of the screen.

Did see a Panny 42PWD6 in another store the other day playing sky+ (football) and it did look very good to me. Looks like it'll have to be one of these now or the Fujitsu VHA30.

Good luck

PWD6 and VHA30 are very close picturewise (as they share the same glass) so comes down to preference for cost, warranty, customisation and looks...Good Luck! :)

JJ

Bandittto

Using the contrast and resolution figures to judge these two screens by is very difficult.

Resolution:
The Panasonic is a Progressive device - it has 852x480 discernable pixels at 50 and 60Hz.

The Hitachi is an ALIS Interlaced panel - which would have 1024x512 pixels if it were displaying at 50 or 60hz; though thanks to the ALIS jiggery pokery Hitachi claim it has 1024x1024 (odd shape that for a wide screen TV).

Contrast Ratio:
There is no defined standard method for measuring contrast - the manufacturers can pretty much say what they like as long as they can prove it in a laboratory test; which has very little to do with real life TV viewing.

Both screens will highlight the good and bad channels on SKY and both screens will work with your DVD system - though I have to say you could easily contemplate a far more exotic Home Theatre system to partner either screen.

Compromise - for me the Hitachi is the compromise; I don't like the ALIS technology and the less processed Panasonic screen would win my money every time.

Best regards

Joe

PS Why not go with the less costly TH-42PW6B (Display) and put more cash into a better Home Theatre system?

Gazzad
I wouldn't go on PQ from Richer sounds etc. Sometimes the setting have not been opotimized properly in shops.
I too thought the PQ on DVD was quite poor when I went to global for a demo.
Went to JL though & got the assistant to play about with settings & PQ was alot better.
On the whole I would say the Hitachi is a V. good buy. On the other hand so are the Pannys. Hard choice but sa long as you stick to the recommendations on these forums u should be OK.
Regards
Cag

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom