1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny on the wall

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by john R1, Jul 8, 2003.

1. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received mY 37" Panny today with tuner box very happy with dvd quality, cable digital also seems ok via tuner box,
    But it needs to go on the wall is this as easy as it sounds or should it be left to the experts. awaiting your comments johnR1

2. philask

philask
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I did it myself, it really depends on what it's going on and if you're comfortable drilling big holes... I mounted my 433mxe on a bare brick wall using very big bolts from B&Q which have metal expanding plugs which fit into the wall... (The drill bit required is HUGE). The mount was screwed onto these and the plasma hung...

Probably the most awkward bit is making sure you're always level, keep checking and re-checking before you start drilling..

3. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    john R1,

The first thing you want to do is find out how your wall is constructed, and then work out the best way to run the cables from the panel.

I drilled a 1 inch hole using a cutter tool that has a small dill in the middle, this allowed me to see inside the wall.
    Mine was a dry-lined construction on a outside wall, 3/4" plaster board 3/4" air gap, then breeze block.

I wouldn't hang a large picture frame on that !!

Take a look at my thread for more details:
    <http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...read.php?s=&threadid=53229&highlight=bluebear[/url]

I have now got my fireplace fitted under the screen and its looks brill :clap:

Bluebear.
    :cool:

4. Merritt

Merritt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bluebear (& John R1) - I have the same wall construction as you and I have my 42" panny hanging off it which is fine as long as you use the correct fixings... BTW - in my case it wasn't breeze block but thermalite which is really light, crumbly crap. Breeze block is hard as hell and would be fine anyway. See

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steveb.merritt/cinema_index.htm

for full instructions / parts list etc. Also feel free to PM or email me if you need any more info.

Cheers

Steve

5. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Merritt,

I think I was wrong, Mine is a new house (6 years old) so I think I got thermalite bricks like you have, as its the crumbly crap, you can push a hole in it with a screw driver! Its so soft.

Thats why I drilled straight through to the outside wall and used a threaded bar, a bit overkill but it means I sleep at night knowing it will NEVER fall of the wall.
    We had earthquakes up here in Manchester !

Thats why I said I wouldn't hang a picture from it...

Very interesting web site with good photos, I did take a load of photos of my setup but they were lost in the post! done by Colab (I still haven't forgiven them)

Best Regards,

Bluebear.
    :cool:

6. Merritt

Merritt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bluebear,

Thanks for the kind comments about the web site - I actually need to update a lot of the photos as these were taken before I bought loads of new kit...

As for mounting in to the Thermalite - the plugs I have shown on my site are pretty fantastic. I hung a 40 kilo weight from the end of one bolt for a week and tried repeatedly to pull /knock it out with the weight in place & failed miserably. There is 12 of these holding the screen in place so I can sleep extremely easy knowing its not going anywhere! I do know what you mean tho - better safe than sorry :)

Steve

7. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys for hanging panny on the wall, could be a while before it gets completed as she wants to change the fireplace first not a real fire so hiding the cables should be easy,
    getting back to my panny my wife suggested we let comet do the
    setting up cost was around £37 He did manage to fix the stand on & get it going ok, did wonder about his knowledge when he suggested getting rid of my £ 60 component leads & using a scart from my dv88 to the tuner box ? apart from that & switching the scart into av1 rgb from the cable digital once he had gone, am very happy with my panny again thanks for the replys JohnR1