1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panny nvgs11 to dvd

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by john R1, Jun 3, 2004.

1. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wife has purchased the above camcorder what software would i need to buy to transfer minidv onto dvd discs my computer is quite new am running nero for burning cds etc machine is a 3 gig pentium 4 512ram and ati radion 9800 graphics card also is there any way to play back the moving video straight through my pc

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    As your PC is so new & high spec I assume that you are running Windows XP. If this is true then it is good news as XP includes a built in program for capture & editing of video. It comes with Movie Maker, but can be upgraded for free to MM2 that has a lot more features.
    If you have Nero 5.5 or later then you can also butn DVD's with it. This will only be simple disks and I don't think it will create chapters and certainly not menus. To do this you will need a good authoring program such a Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3 that costs around £30 (or cheaper online). I can recommend this prog as it is what I use. You can also get a free 30 trial from Here.

Mark.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your computer is fairly new you presumably have Windows XP - if so you already have the software on your computer in the form of Microsoft Moviemaker. if your computer is very new you may already have version 2 if not go to the Microsoft website and download version 2 for FREE. Version 2 is a vast improvement over version 1 and I would not recommend you try using version 1. A new computer should also have firewire ports - check your specs.

The only thing you should need to buy is a firewire cable like the one here :-
    http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_58&products_id=224
    You can buy these at many local stores like Curry's , Jessops, Dixons etc.

(your camcorder manual may suggest you can do this using the supplied USB cable plugged into your PC USB port - this may work for some people but in general you will not get very satisfactory results transferring moving video by USB - use that for still images)

Then connect your camcorder to your PC by the firewire link switch the camera on and select VCR mode and start moviemaker and you should be able to view and copy your video's to your PC, then you can edit your video - cut out the views of your feet etc, maybe add a title and some music. With moviemaker the best option when you have finished editing is to save your video as an .avi file which you can then transfer to Nero to burn to VCD or DVD.

Many other video editing packages are available most of which also include the Disc authoring and burning module so that you do everything within the one package - my personal favourite is Ulead VideoStudio and you can download a free 30 day trial from here :-
    http://www.ulead.co.uk/vs/runme.htm

Edit - really must learn to type faster Marks reply was not there when I started - never mind I don't think we contradict each other just give slightly different recommendations - but then everyone has their own favourite.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Yep! Same basic reply (MM2 that is) you just gave a few more hints :smashin:
    Well at least with 2 answers being the same everyone can be sure they are getting good advise :thumbsup:

Mark.

5. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have found an easy way for the time being computer also has av inputs the pq seems ok not sure what greating a dvd this way will come out like have printed out your replys for future ref many thanks john

6. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do it that way you will only be capturing analogue video and not taking advantage of having a digital camera - if you say you are happy with what you get OK but you could do a lot better and it's not always easy to edit analogue video.

7. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes sorry should have said this will only be a stop gap until i sort out firewire cable and software etc, at the moment its easier for someone like me with limited computer knowledge, also must say very impressed with the card reader on my computer used to take ages to download images from my non usb digital camera now takes about a second via smart-media card

8. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wife spoke to the people who made the computer and they confirmed would need to buy a firwire cable they also said there is some software on the computer for transferring to dvd its called power- something will have a look tonight when i get home

9. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Transferred our first bit of minydv onto dvd rewritable via firewire and power-suite pq was quite good and it played back via arcam into 42" pw6b, only trouble is because we only had a few mins of video not sure if we burn it straight onto dvd or if it went via hard-drive hopefully a bit more practice and we should be ok " thanks for your help and advice "