1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny NVDS-30 - How to get Still images off DV Tape and onto HD ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Stu Ward, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Stu Ward

Stu Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when taking stills using the photosgot button.

How do you get them off the DV Tape and onto your Hardrive using a Firewire lead and Adobe Premiere ?

I also have MGI Videowave

Cheers

Stu

2. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Stu Ward

Stu Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still doesn't tell you if it can be done or how

Stu

4. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry. I'd only read the first 3 posts in the thread and remembered your post here. The 2nd post seemed to say get the Panasonic DV Studio 2 for aquisition, and Personal Connection kit to download from card or tape and the 3rd post said treat it as normal video footage and grab a single frame. I see now as the thread progresses nobody seems to have actually done it.
    Apologies once again

Richard

5. Stu Ward

Stu Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Probs mate

Stu

6. kenjolly

kenjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

don't know whether this helps or not but nobody has answered your query this might prove useful (or not !).

Firstly I have the NS29 - so very similar to the 30. I bought the specific lead and software that panasonic sell - £25 for the lead and DV Studio 3. something or other (sorry at work). They also sell a lead and software specifically for the NS30 as well (£25).

This software has a feature that allows you to search the tape for any stills you have captured. Once it finds one it stops allowing you to capture it or carry on searching. Once captured (in DV format) it can then be convered to JPEG or BMP.

Not having the software you mentioned I would presume all video editing software has a facility to search for stills.

If your problem related to connection ie what lead to get and where to put it (!) or is it software related ? Can you get moving normal video shown on the software ?

Don't know whether this helps or not.

Kenneth

7. Stu Ward

Stu Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Adobe Premiere 6.0 and Firewire connection

I can get video off and back on no problem, just the progressive photoshot stills

Stu

8. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot get the stills off using a firewire, the best you can do if your editng package allows is to take a 'snapshot' of a single frame. To get the still images off you need Panasonic DV studio (various versions available) , this came free with my camcorder and connects to my computer via a serial port from a mini-jack on the camera although I believe later versions of DV studio use USB

9. kenjolly

kenjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I think I agree with BeeJayCee. On my camcorder there are two "holes" - one for a firewire connection to get the video and one for stills. I assume it's the same for the NV30 as it is for the NS29.

I use the cable that came with the software and this plugs into the "stills" hole. I said I think I agree because I'm sure Jessops told me one of the holes did everything (stills and video) and the other just did stills.

I'm sure I can take snapshots with the DV Studio software via this cable but agree I can't upload video - I wasn't interested in doing that anyway (just wanted to upload pictures for email / website, etc).

Maybe you could find someone near you to lend you a cable if it's just a one off. Otherwise might be worth investing £25 to get the cable (must admit I have various video software packages so wan't particularly interested in Panny's software - but this seemed the easiest way to get the cable).

Good luck

Kenneth