1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny Just mode with Dr Jon

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by matt1793, Nov 28, 2002.

1. matt1793

matt1793

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve finally decided to buy a Panasonic PW5B Plasma but have one last question that I couldn't find answered elsewhere after searching this excellent forum.

The misses and I watch 90% Sky+ and 10% DVD. I plan to cascade the DVD to the Panny with a Scart via my Sky+ so I only need one Dr Jon converter. I don’t intend to connect anything else to the Panny and have accepted that Panasonic won’t be launching their Scart board soon. I've tested that as soon as I turn on the DVD, Sky+ will feed this signal to the TV, without interrupting any Sky+ recording.

My question is should I go for Dr Jon's Scart to Component converter, or his Scart to VGA converter and as I switch between 14:9 and 4:3 programs on Sky+, will the Panny Just mode automatically fill the screen (like some TV's) or do I need to change the aspect mode manually? Annoying!

In thread 50015 Dr Jon said, "Some screens don't support the "just" modes on VGA input, but some may. I'm not able to test every screen, so I can't say which would."

Any other thoughts on the quality of my intended solution would be appreciated, as would anyone’s experience with a Panny’s ability to automatically selecting the correct screen size ?

Thanks

Matt

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I think its fair to say that I was responsible for most of the 'just' talk on this forum some months ago.

Many people dold me that they use 16:9 and don't worry about 'just', but I didn't believe them.

In the end I took a risk opted for a VGA device which means that I don't have 'just' and I can honestly say that I have never noticed it.

I wonder if its because the screen is so big, but for some reason, the fact that on 4:3 channels things look short and fat just don't seem to look wrong.

As there is no auto-switching capability on a Panasonic, I honestly think having to manually switch between 16:9 and Just, would have been more of a pain anyway.

Just go for VGA and no 'just' and really don't think you will miss it!

I hope this helps

Jon

3. matt1793

matt1793

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies to Dr John for missing out his h and the post I mentioned was at thread 50157 not 50015 as previously stated.

Matt

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon Weaver is right
    I use the VGA and dont use just at all, the BBC and other channels now broadcast in widescreen so it is not a problem

5. ShaggyDragon

ShaggyDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to be in a minority. I knocked up a SCART to RGB cable the other night to test it out to see if it was hugely better than S-Video. The difference was like night and day. Anyway, after watching Sky+ for a few hours I really missed the Just mode. 4:3 mode generates so much paranoia that I wont use it and I hate seeing everyone short and fat (takes all the fun out of watching Buffy).

So, I have 2 other sources of Component, so I'm going to order a JS Scart to Component converter and either build / buy a switch box for a month or two before I upgrade my amp to a component switching one.

Andy.

6. clam

clam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm with you ShaggyDragon, I couldn't imagine living without the Just mode. I did try to cope without it when I first got my screen but soon decided that it was the best option for me. I guess in the end it's down to personal preference, my suggestion to anyone coming into this scenario would be to try all options first to see which suits best.

After following all Jon Weavers threads about Just mode I thought he caved in really quickly once he got his screen:D :D Only joking Jon, like I said it's down to personal preference in the end.

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

Plasma VGA zoom modes are 4:3 and 16:9.
    Component allows "Just" mode too.

There is a division between those that must have Just mode, and those that watch 4:3 zoomed in to 16:9. It's a difficult one to advise on, most are quite happy with 4:3 zoomed, but for those who must have Just, then you must have the component converter.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry, I know its been said before but could someone remind me what Just mode is and why not having it on VGA is bad. I'm trying to decide the same thing Jon Weaver was and can't! I've never had a widescreen before so its never been an issue. I'm getting a Panny 5 by the way:confused:

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just mode is one which pulls the sides of the 4:3 picture to fit in the 16:9 space, but tries to keep the centre as close to normal aspect as possible. At the sides peole look very wide, but in the centre almost normal.

All the best,

John.

10. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has a satisfactory conclusion been reached on this one yet..? As far as I understand it, with a DVD player, to keep 'Just' mode on the Panasonic with an RGB source (Sky+, cable, whatever) you need:

a) the RGB source connected to component inputs via a JS converter; the DVD player connected to RGB with another JS converter, losing progressive scan on a PS DVD player.

or

b) both sources connected to a component switch box/component switching amp (one via an RGB Scart to component converter), preserving progressive scan for the DVD.

Supplementary question: Will a Scart to Component RGB+S lead work as well as a JS box for either of these options?

11. ddaddy

ddaddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After reading these forums for months now, i had decided to opt for the rgb2vga box, as i was after the best quality i can get and would use component for dvd.

I am going to use a pc too, so would have a vga switch unit too.

BUT..

after reading this thread, i have totally changed my mind, and am now going to get the rgb2component box.

I hadnt even thought of using my amp to switch my dvd(component) and other rgb devices(connected to a 3way scart box then to rgb2component).

this would make life easier when switching channels to the pc, and also switching sound and picture at the same time. I have read that the component box isnt as good quality as the vga box, but for the ease of switching and getting 'just' mode thrown in, it is definately the option im going to go for.

daz

12. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I was another stirrer with Jon. I used to watch Sky on a CRT in Sony's equivalent of 'just' and the TV would auto switch to wide on DVD. I didn't think I'd like wide-only on TV 4:3 pics, so went for a component converter and daisy chained DVD through Sky+ box.

Given you have to switch between just and 16:9 manually, I've found I rarely bother, and just watch everything in 16:9, which means I could have gone for VGA instead. HOWEVER, as well as being no just mode in VGA, there are also reduced picture settings (from memory, "cinema" mode and a few other bits).

The only input that has an auto aspect change is the composite/SVideo one, but I've not tried it, so I don't know how good it is. Not very, I suspect.

Also be aware if you're daisy chaining DVD->Sky+, I have a problem with RGB output turning itself off after using DVD. There is a thread about it in the Sky+ forum somewhere. Not got a proper solution yet, just a Pronto macro to turn it back on again. May just be me though.

Andrew

13. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If your DVD player has two SCARTs, then try routing Sky via this rather than through Sky. It's what I do with my DVD recorder (also my R2 DVD player, the R1 is connected via an A/V amp).

To connect two component sources, at the moment the best option is to use an A/V amp that supports component switching.

Two VGA sources is solved using a KVM switch - a computer device (Keyboard, Video, Mouse). Although I know they exist, I must admit that I've not tried one yet.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

14. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    On the Panasonic 5wb, can you use the components (yuv mode), as well as the composite. I am thinking of using my Yamaha AX1 for component switching the Arcam DV88+ ; Sky+ with rgb to component cable or converter; X-Box with Microsoft HD AV kit. The composite is for the odd video for my daughter.
    Thanks

15. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes you can use component and composite but its the worsed connection for quality and the s-video will be void if you use this
    hope this helps u

16. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The composite is only for the Thomson video recorder playback only......would you suggest the S-Video for this then, with all else thru' the AX1 component YUV's ??
    Thanks again

17. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unless your video can out put svhs there is no point, as its just for videos for the daughter i`m sure she will be happy with the size of the picture rather than the quality

18. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    V5-APS,

your scheme seems fine to me. Composite is what a standard VCR would output. S-Video you could get from a S-VHS recorder, but you need to have S-VHS recorded tapes to take advantage.

With DVD recorders coming down in price, and the media (40p for a DVD-R), I'd opt for this as an upgrade over a S-VHS recorder now. But if you need to buy a new VCR, then an S-VHS is certainly worth considering.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

19. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What aspect ratios/auto switched modes are available using the component yuv inputs on the 42PW5 pls??
    I.E. Will it auto switch 4:3 to 16:9/just etc??
    Thanks

20. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    Not sure if this is any help now, but I have now had my Plasma for a few months and have never missed 'just'.

Infact, I had reason to the use the VCR the other day and it came up in 'just' mode.. I couldn't believe how bad it looked.

I am more than happy leaving mine in 16:9 all of the time.. Just as others advised me that I would.

21. MrNoisy

MrNoisy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It allways amazes me how people put up with either distorted or cropped images after spending so much money!! (each to their own I guess!).

At least 50% of my viewing is 4:3, and I want to watch it in the correct aspect ratio/not cropped - plasma doesn't seem quite ready to provide this safely though....

It's a shame.

22. oddjob

oddjob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With DVD recorders coming down in price, and the media (40p for a DVD-R)

Where do you get DVD-r for 40p?:confused: