1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny & iScan

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by grobschnitt, Aug 7, 2002.

1. grobschnitt

grobschnitt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying the panny 42"in silver and I Have also the opportunity to obtain an iScan. I will be routing sky (normal), VCR and Tosh 900e into iScan and HD - 3 phono to the plasma.
    Guy in store suggested that some of the pannies out there are 'commercial', hence price, and that there would b poblems with the connectivity and results. Was this just a self-centred sales pitch or is this true? I must minimise the cabling as it will be wall mounted discretly - so iscan seems best bet. Are there alternatives to consider?

Paul:confused:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,466
    Grobschnitt

Your sales man forgot the one about having to refill the gas every year on the Commercial Display :)

The Panasonic TH-42PW4B (Silver) and the TH-42PWD4BX (Charcoal) are very similar products. The only difference that really affects connectivity being that the Silver display comes with a set of RCA (Phono) sockets for the Component/RGB input and the Charcoal display has a choice of either the BNC terminal board for Component/RGB or the DVI terminal board for Digital RGB.

Worth noting that you cant 'upgrade' the Silver display to accept DVI input at a future date.

Connecting up source kit to either the Silver or the Charcoal display is no different - you just require the correct ends on the cables to suit your set up and ether type of cable/connector are readily available.

I would not be going down the iScan route with this panel - your DVD player and Digibox will look as good if not better going directly to the panel (see notes below on Digibox) and I'm sure you can engineer a 'discreet' way to hide away 3 cables (Plus a mains cable) just as readily as one cable.

My recommendation would be:
    01. Toshiba 900e - Component out - 3xPhono to 3xPhono to Plasma.
    02. SKY Digibox - RGB out to JS Tech VGA interface via SCART > JS Tech VGA interface - VGA out - VGA to VGA to Plasma.
    03. VCR - Composite out - SCART to Phono on Plasma.

One advantage of keeping the inputs separated being that you can tweak/calibrate/adjust each input independently to suit the incoming signal.

You wont have any problems with either the Silver or the Charcoal plasma display in your proposed set-up or indeed with the Toshiba clone of the Silver Panasonic display.

Best regards

Joe

3. grobschnitt

grobschnitt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe - I have just been reading about 'just' problems from sky to the panny and they seem to recommend RGB - JS Tech SVideo box- s-video input. Is this another option and just what is this just all about?

Also, do you know where I can get a scart to phono cable. Both Ixos and QED do not appear to do one!

Paul

4. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

qed do have one, it is AV1420 (scart to composite video with stereo outs), 2m long. retails for approx £55.

ten

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I would suggest trying with and without the Iscan. The plasma's de-interlacing solution is not of the same performance of the Iscan. This means that be it Sky or DVD there will be a lot less artefacts in the image when fed through the Iscan to the plasma.

Having said that poor set up of the Iscan will result in a compromised image that ma well look, worse than not using it at all!

Gordon

6. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would tend to agree with Gordon. I have the Fujitsu 4229 and was amazed by the difference the iScan made to all pictures, but especially Sky and VHS. It removes an amazing amount of artefacts and really does a cracking. Having said that at £650-700 you would want to try it first and the panasonic does a pretty good job on its own. At the end of the day its a personal choice thing, but don't discount it before trying it.

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    But with the I-Scan you have composite, S-Video or component video input. Component is the best input, so you'll need to converter the RGB output from Sky to component. Second best is S-Video, again requiring a converter. As Gordon state, you've got to ensure you've got a good set-up first. Poor signal in, and you'll get a poor signal out. So, start with a good quality signal first.

S-Video conversion I can do just now, but component is in production so you may want to try this. When it's on my website, it's ready to order and in-stock - and not a moment sooner!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hey John, how do rate the differences between the rgb->vga and the rgb->component boxes pq performance? Thanks;)

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    They both perform excellently! Component is limited by the fact that you're using component video, which has colour signals which are bandlimited (although not on my design). Both are very close though.

If you want the absolute best picture, then opt for RGB to Plasma VGA. Disadvantages are that you may not have all the zoom modes.

Opt for the Component converter if you want the zoom modes or to route through some modern A/V amplifiers. The component converter is also built on some of the Plasma VGA's technology - which is simply the best.

And if you're after something very simple that you can route via just about any A/V amp, then opt for the S-Video converter. S-Video is still gives a very good picture, but is the lowest in terms of picture quality of the three here.

Ultimately, if you're spending quite a bit on your plasma screen, you've got to consider how to hook everything to it. And it's not the time to be cutting corners!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.